Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Guest Editor (I'm so excited!)

Hello everyone, my name is Sheria and I’m thrilled to be guest editor!  I’m supposed to tell you a little about me, so here goes.

 

I was born in 1955 in Stantonsburg, a little southern town in eastern North Carolina.  Okay let’s skip a few years, otherwise I’ll tell all my secrets.

 

I’ve lived in NC all of my life.  On those forms that ask for status, I check the box that reads: single, never married.  I live alone except for LaLa (the yellow Teletubbie, it’s a long story and I’ll blog about it someday).  I had a mid life crisis when I turned 39 and left my career as a high school English teacher to become a lawyer.  I’ve worked for Legal Aid and most recently for a nonprofit policy advocacy group, which has disappointed my friends and family who all expected that I would become wealthy upon passing the bar.  Okay, I sort of planned to become wealthy but I discovered that I wasn’t temperamentally suited to billable hours and preferred public interest law. 

 

I love music and have eclectic tastes.  My CD collection includes Patsy Cline, Celine Dion, Prince, Bob Marley, Kiri Te Kanawa, and Aretha Franklin.  I also love to read, watch movies (especially old movies from the 30’s and 40’s) and cook for my friends.  I write poetry and I’m working on my first book.

 

Okay, that’s it; I need to talk about my picks.  They are in no particular order of importance.

 

First up is How Did I Get Here?   Wendy O’Donnell says that hers is a “journal of motherhood, life, wonderment, and unceasing irritation.”  It was the unceasing irritation part that hooked me.  She’s very witty and writes about those everyday pieces of life that make us all a little nuts.

 

I ran across Naked on Roller Skates in another blogger’s links list.  I was intrigued by the title and checked it out.  Nancy is a fellow North Carolinian.  There is so much heart in her writing.  I was moved to tears by her remembrances of her deceased father.  She also has a great sense of wry humor, particularly in writing about her children.  Reading Nancy’s blog is like sitting down with a friend for coffee and a chat.

 

I stumbled across On the Move while I was checking to see if my own blog was listed in the Journal’s index.  (It is!)  Ian is a 43-year-old guy somewhere in the UK who loves to cook.  He also loves to take pictures and in my humble opinion is a very good photographer.  He and his wife are in the process of selling their house and I confess that I was on pins and needles when the first buyer changed his mind and jubilant when another buyer showed interest.  Check out his mini slide shows, they are wonderful shots of waterfalls and seashores, etc., and you can increase or decrease how long you want each slide to linger on the screen.  For more of Ian’s photos and other writing, including poetry, go to www.photographerian.co.uk.

 

Daughters of the Shadow Men hypnotized me with its frank and powerful discussions of life from the perspective of a 75 year-old-woman.  There is much pain in this journal but I am drawn back to it over and over again.  She writes with unwavering honesty about her suspicions that her father was gay and her own missteps in choosing men to love.  I weep with her but I also admire her tenacity in being a survivor. (content warning)

 

For a change of pace, check out My Life Change and Weight Loss Journey aka My Diet.  This journal is for anyone who has ever struggled with weight loss.  It is witty, entertaining, and inspiring.  Stacy had me totally hooked when Jimmy Buffet’s “Lime in the Coconut” began playing when I opened her blog.  This is the perfect site for when you really want to eat that bag of Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies and that pint of Ben & Jerry’s French Vanilla in the freezer.  Read Stacy; you may still eat the cookies and ice cream but you’ll laugh while you’re stuffing your face!

 

Finally, a friend sent me the link to Kleinschmidt 2005 about a month ago and I’ve been a regular reader ever since.  This is a political blog that focuses on some national issues but with a lot about North Carolina politics.  I think of Kleinschmidt as a political humanist, concerned about the well being of all humankind.  He’s a councilman in Chapel Hill, NC, home of the University of North Carolina (UNC Tarheels!).  I freely admit to being a liberal and proud of it; this blog is not everyone’s glass of iced tea but like all southerners, I love iced tea!

 

Well that’s it folks; I hope that you will check out my picks.  Enjoy!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheria thank you so much for including me in your guest editors picks!  No one has ever picked me before and I am thrilled.
Ya know we have a lot in common, I had a mid life crisis myself this year - yeah, I bought a full length leather coat that I couldn't afford - that's almost the same as becoming a lawyer at 39, right?  <eye roll>  You go lady!  I think you are my new hero.
Thanks again!
Stacy

Anonymous said...

Sheria,
Congratulations for being chose and the Guest editor.  Thank you for sharing the other journals.  I am looking forward to paying them a visit.
Regards, David

Anonymous said...

THANKS MY DEAR,,,WILL VISIT MORE IN TIME,,,i KNOW YOU ARE A GOOD HEART,,,JUST READING YOU,,,I AM A PERSON WHO NEVER HAD THE CHANCE FOR SCHOOL,,,BUT I'VE LEARN ALL I COULD AND ADMIRE THOSE THAT ARE EDUCATED,,,FORGIVE THE RAMBLINGS OF AN OLDER PERSON PLEASE,,,I LIKE YOUR JOURNAL AND WILL BE BACK,,,Marie,
http://journals.aol.com/rosas831/RealisticProse/
www.booksbyrosasbarassi.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheria, fellow North Carolinian... I'm from Graham (the city,not the county). I am here to congratulate you on your Guest Editorship, and was so glad to read of your picks... two of whom I am familiar with, and the others I will visit. I am a teacher as well, into my eighth year as a matter of fact, so please stop by any time to visit my aol journal. I am pleased to meet you, and now I will take some time to visit your place. You have had an interesting life so far! Just wanted to say hi!  Bea

Anonymous said...

Nice Entry.  Congrats on being Guest Editor.  My daughter will be going to college and English will be her major.  (Phych.  Minor)  She will be a secondary education teacher.  I will be checking out your picks next.  Stop by and say Hi.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

Someone sent me a comment to congratulate me on being one of the guest editors picks.  I thought she must have made a mistake.  I will come back and read your blog as you have a background, (teaching and law) that very much interests me.  And I am looking forward to reading everyone of your pics.  There are so many interesting journals I have read just this week trying to get around to all the nominees.  I am going down that road as fast as I can and as ripening cataracts allow me!  Thank you so much for your comments about my journal.  Gerry
http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/  

Anonymous said...

I too read Ian's blog. I will check out some of your other picks. You have made some great choices. I am very impressed with your career change to the Law and I've put you on alerts so I can return to read more! Enjoy the guest editor slot!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/20062007-journal-index/

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being picked to be the guest editor this week! I'll be back around to check out your picks.

Martha :-)
http://journals.aol.com/lifes2odd/Justvisiting/

Anonymous said...

Congrats!   I'm from North Carolina.  I was raised near Pikeville/ Fremont in a little community called Nahunta.  Ever heard of it?  I even lived in Stantonsburg a couple of years.

The pass 12 years I have lived in Gulfport, MS.  I was in the Navy and married a Navy man.  Now i'm a LPN studying for my RN.  My sister-in-law is a Legal Nurse Consultant and I find that very interesting.

I look forward to checking out your other links.  Right now I'm trying to keep a 2 year old content.

Anonymous said...

congrats on being picked as guest editor. I'll have to check out your picks they all sound wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherita! You have all the right decisions in your life. I once taught at Saratoga Central High School in 1970-72 just five miles from Stantonsburg. Great part of the state by the way. I am in Greensboro now. I loved your blog. You are really a cool lady. It never is about money, it's about making a difference. You got it all right. You owe no explanations to anyone. You did it right. The world needs more Sheritas. . . . ..

Anonymous said...

Congrats!  I'm off to do some reading and check out your picks!
d
http://journals.aol.com/nightmaremom/Thisandthatandhockey/

Anonymous said...

Hi there,  I just popped over here from Kate's journal.  I'll be back, that's for sure coz I'm definitely a liking what I'm a seeing!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I'm a lefty too...lol I will be casting ballots this Tuesday with pride. I usually wear my peace tye dye..lol
Dwana

Anonymous said...

Quite the intresting journal so far. I'll have to go back to the beginning to get your history. I'm curious to hear what compelled you to leave the teaching profession.

Fred

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being selected. Check out my journal sometimes. http://journals.aol.com/kheadenmd/Thoughtsfromtheheadoc

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being Guest Editor!  I checked out some of your selections.. they are good ones too.. Blessings!
http://journals.aol.com/DiaryOfASoldOutWoman

Anonymous said...

wow  Interesting life choices for carrere and linteresing blog choices! I lvoe your photo!
natalie(Lurkynat)

Anonymous said...

OH............. so colourful life! I know somewhere have many quality elites as you. Maybe there are many same topic and other to share with them. http://www.millionairematch.com/blog/smilecat