Saturday, November 18, 2006

Stepping into the Twilight Zone of Online Dating

Sometimes you know that a thing isn’t a good idea but you get swept up in it any way, sort of like Dorothy and Toto whirling away to Oz.  There’s always a beginning, a point when you have a choice.  Choose one direction and life goes on as before, choose another and you end up being chased by a wicked witch.  Never let someone else choose the direction for you, especially your two best friends.  

 

“Online dating, you should try online dating.  You’re a smart, interesting woman and your problem is that you don’t meet any decent men.”

 

Best friend number one and best friend number two basked in the glow of their mutual satisfaction as they offered the obvious solution to my lack of a love life. 

 

Me: “Smart and interesting are code for unattractive.”

 

“Don’t be so negative.  You’re an attractive woman, you just have to sell yourself more.”

 

I should have pointed out that women who sell themselves often end up developing unwanted relationships with local law enforcement, but like Dorothy, I got swept away and the next thing I knew, I was composing my first personal ad.

 

I selected a site called Love Access because it was inexpensive (cheap).  After answering a few questions about myself, I was given the opportunity to select the characteristics that I wanted in a man.  They didn't have breathing on the list, so I picked a few other things--mature, tall, employed etc.  Then I composed a couple of paragraphs about me and waited.

 

My first hit was from a 23 year old who who was neither mature nor employed, but he was tall.  I also assumed that he had difficulties reading.  I sent him a polite note explaining that I thought that the difference in our ages was too great.  He sent me a note back with a detailed description of a certain part of his anatomy and a caution that I didn't know what I was missing.

 

The next contact was from a gentleman seeking a Proverbs 31 woman.  I checked my bible and realized that there could be a problem with a difference of opinion with this match.  Proverbs Chapter 31 describes the ideal wife as a woman who "rises while it is still night and distributes food to her household" and "at night her lamp is undimmed."  When does she sleep?  Realizing that I would only disappoint him, I decided to not respond at all.

 

By this point, I was whining to my best friends that this was not going well.

 

"You need to sign up with a better dating site, something more upscale."

 

I dutifully registered my profile at match.com.  My first email from match.com included 20 possible matches with a percentage ranking indicating how closely each matched my criteria.  I was pretty excited and began checking out each potential match by reading their complete profiles.  Hmm...Mike, Joe, and Rufus all wanted children.  I'm 51 years old, so figuring that this could be a deal breaker, I moved on.  Hubert, Sam, and Charles were undecided as to whether or not they wanted children and indicated that it was a maybe.  Then there was Mr. Big who was unhappily married and was looking for a discreet woman. (All names have been changed to protect somebody!)  I entered into email communication with one gentleman who seemed quite nice, but he lived in Oregon and didn't like to travel. He suggested that I come visit him but I've seen Psycho more than once and couldn't get that shower scene out of my head.

 

So far, I had spent about $80.00 and I hadn't had a single date.  I was ready to give up and accept my single, never married status as permanent.  But my best friends were full of encouragement.

 

"You give up too easily!  You've got to give the process some time."

 

By now, my sister was a member of the cheerleading squad, telling me of women that she knew who had met their future husbands online.  Pumped up, I decided to register with the big kahuna of matchmaking sites, eharmony.com.  It took over an hour just to answer the questionnaire that would be used to match the 29 points of compatibility that would guarantee that I would connect with my selected matches.

 

To my delight, the next day I had email from eharmony.com announcing that I had several matches.  Unlike the other sites, eharmony, guides you through the first levels of communication with an exchange of questions/answers, must haves/ can't stand, and finally open communication.

 

Perhaps it was the more involved registration process, but there was definitely a more serious tone at eharmony--no unhappily married guys seeking discreet women!  I made it to open communication with a few and went on some decent dates, but there were no bells and banjos with any of them. 

 

Then I met J.  We hit it off in our guided question exchange.  When we began open communication, our first conversation lasted four hours. (It was by telephone; he lives out of state.)  Over the next few weeks we talked often and for extended periods of time.  I was in heaven.  He was witty, intelligent, had a great sense of humor, kind, compassionate and tall!

 

Unfortunately, this does not have a happy ending. 

The girl doesn’t get the boy; the boy doesn’t want the girl.  The good thing is that no one dies. 

 

Like all of the online dating sites, eharmony encourages you to post a recent picture of yourself, which I dutifully did.  Unfortunately, J,who is not exactly the most computer competent person that I've met, didn't have a photo posted.  (No, I'm not shallow, this has nothing to do with me judging him!)  When I set up my eharmony account, I selected the option that in order to see my photo, the other person's photo would have to be available as well.  I then promptly forgot that I had selected this option.  J had no photo and as a result was unable to view my photo.

 

Blissfully unaware that J had no idea what I looked like, I assumed that he liked short, fat ladies, until he asked me to read him some of my poetry over the phone.  Following is the poem that I read to him:

 

For Women Who Wait      

 

If I were a beautiful woman,

I’d feed blood oranges to my lover—

one segment at a time—somewhere in Italy, on a verandah.

 

If I were a beautiful woman,

I’d wear orange chiffon with a scarlet scarf

and enter rooms like a sunrise.

 

If I were a beautiful woman,

something beyond this fleshy monolith—

I’d dance the merengue,

be the coquette with strangers,

launch a thousand ships in my name.

 

But being less than ordinary,

being downright plain,

being not beautiful—

I simply wait.

 

When I finished the poem, there was a moment of silence, followed by a question, "You don't consider yourself attractive?"

 

The honest answer to that question is maybe.  It depends on my mood.  I write poems about moods, impressions, feelings that I may have experienced directly or merely observed. 

 

I  did the only thing that I could, I immediately sent J a photo of me and waited.  He called the following weekend and I was grinning from ear to ear.  I assumed that while I'm no Halle Berry, that he at least found my visage passable.  We talked, as usual for a couple of hours, but I needed to know.

 

"I assume you received my picture."

 

"Yes, I did, thank you," a polite response but it told me nothing.  I breathed deeply and took the plunge.

 

"No pressure or anything but I need to know where you see us going with this relationship.  Do you see romance in our future?"  There's nothing like being direct.

 

"I really like you, I love talking to you, but...(you can hear a but coming from a mile off)...I tend to be attracted to women who are rather svelte."

 

He actually said svelte; he has a good vocabulary, not very many people use the word svelte in every day conversation.

 

J and I are still friends and we speak often; we've even visited in person once.  We have a lot of common interests and we continue to have marathon conversations.  I keep asking myself what I learned from this experience.  So far, my answer is absolutely nothing.

 

Addendum

Perhaps I did learn some things:

1. Even if he asks you to read your poetry to him, don't;

2. You can spend a whole lot of money and still not get what you want; and

3. Following the yellow brick road isn't always a good idea.

 

 

 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like alot of work just to be accepted by a guy.  Maybe he would have turned you off too had you been given the chance.  one never knows.  The chemistry was jsut not there 100 percent.  Sorry you had to go through such an experience.  Don't give up hope    :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/      Tracy

Anonymous said...

WOW!  That was such a beautiful poem - and story.  I really loved the poem.

What do you mean, you haven't learned anything?  You've learned that it's possible for people to be attracted to someone they're typically not attracted to.  I know I have at some point in my life.

And 51 isn't "old" anymore, so please continue to enjoy the online dating scene...and J! *wink*

Anonymous said...

Hmm, this was quite an interesting experience.  I liked your poem.  Doc often tells me when I complain about his sipping A. all day long that he has never been with a woman as heavy as me.  I guess your experience rang a bell for me because of attitudes I have encountered about weight.  Does a thin drunk compare to heavy teetotaler, but addicted to sweets?  I dont know how to figure.   Gerry

Anonymous said...

You did not say what you thought of his looks after meeting in person.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you were honest, and that's what is going to help you weed out all the non-serious guys who will cause all the heartbreaks later on if you are not honest. And he was honest too... better to find out now than the awkwardness of finding out on your first date. Keep trying, my friend... you have a beautiful soul. THere's a match out there for you. Bea

http://beta.journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/

Anonymous said...

I loved that story, Aimer! Seriously. It was filled with all the magic that makes your creative writing sing. Even though you were searching for a soulmate, did you find an ever-lasting friend?

Remember this: One is never a failure, until one stops trying to succeed.

River
http://journal.aol.com.riversharki/jesuslovesyou/

Anonymous said...

On your experience with J and the picture, honey, I could have told you that would happen.  I'm not on the "svelte" side either, although I was a lot smaller years ago.  I am surprised that he would make such a direct comment.  In the days when I used to try the relationship thing, men would just disappear, or come up with some see-through excuse.  I'm surprised too, that you're still talking to him.  I would have been humiliated and crawled under a rock.
I was into the online dating thing ten years ago and I did connect with this guy who lived in the south.  Turned out he was a big liar.  I tend to think all men online lie.  Anyway I wrote a special poem about a rejection (not online) which had a slightly comical bend to it.  I would show it, but I'm probably going to include it in a book of poems that I've been writing over the years.  If you want to read about my most important love (he was a "J" too), wander over to my blog which is titled "The Disintegration of a Female Personality."  Nobody ever comments on it, I guess because most of it is a bit morbid.
Good luck with your online quest.

Anonymous said...

I loved this entry. Can relate.we have this in MAJOR common. I am a big gal myself. Look forward to reading more about this. Hugs, Bam
http://journals.aol.com/reconcilinglife/reconciling-life/

Anonymous said...

That was both humouristic and interesting to read... reminded me the time Fred was going through that too :D
First time I visited you. Found your link on Fred's blog.
Valerie
http://heathersanimations.com/girl/sakura2.gif

Anonymous said...

Sorry, the message before was not rightly signed. Here's my blog if you want to visit.
Valerie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful poem.  The RIGHT guy, will LOVE to hear you read your poetry, and he'll see that deep beauty within you:)   So, sigh, he just doesn't get you.   His loss.  -- Robin  

Anonymous said...

I too have been trying the online dating thing , so in England the situation is not much better, i've had couple of near misses its so diheartning,and Match .Com is one of the worst sites they just take your money.

I use skype which at least allows you to just chat and i've met some nice men there unfortunatley not for dating.

There was a time that I was called svelt but no more but I'm happy with my curves. I'll visit again

yasmin

journal.aol.co.uk/cayasm/is'nt-she-great

Anonymous said...

you made the biggest mistake in online dating.. you didnt post a pic that any prospective suitors could see... we all have to be attracted in some way physically to anyone we date... I for one will not even enter into a correspondence without a picture of the other person first...  color me shallow i guess...

Anonymous said...

Dear cpnmikes,
Forgive me if I'm still a tad touchy about this, but I did have a picture posted.  The only reason that J couldn't view it was because he did NOT have a picture posted.  I wasn't immune to the notion that physical attraction is at least part of the equation.  I assumed that he knew exactly what I looked like.  What I forgot was that I had selected the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" clause.  Even after I promptly provided J with a photo when I realized that he had been unable to view mine, I still didn't have a clue as to what he looked like.  If he had uploaded his own picture, there would have never been any confusion! Given that appearance was a major factor for him, what I couldn't understqand was why he ever contacted me in the first place when he was unable to view my photo.  Okay, I've gotten that out of my system.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I cant imagine you not being svelte. You seem as this....Interesting, I had an online dating service and plan on doing it again some time next year BUT, eharmony is the only one I recommend. Its something I know much on and its quality. You may only get one or two matches but they are matches and the rest is chemistry. Match.com and the rest of them is like playing with dart boards and its a yo yo, hit and miss by 1 to 1,000...Takes time but stick with eharmony. I wouldnt be surprised if you met someone iby a year. And really, that is nothing. When you consider your a woman of amazingness, takes time to find a quality match for you......-Raven