Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Speaking a Common Language

Daily, there are more and more emails finding their way into my inbox that call for walls at our borders and a crackdown on illegal aliens.  I think that some folks are actually beginning to believe that we are truly talking about folks from another planet.

 

Among other things, we seem to have a fear of being compelled to speak Spanish and anxiously wail about the need to declare English as our official language.  Having spent many years in the public school system, I don’t have any worries that the majority of Americans will be learning a second language.   About 25 years ago, the US government had the notion that this country should convert to the metric system.  You see, most of the other major nations of the world with whom we conduct commerce use the metric system and it would be much more effective to conduct business if we were all using the same measurement system.  However, Americans, always proud of our ability to insist on doing it our way, refused to cooperate.  The remnants of the effort may be seen in road signs that indicate kilometers alongside miles.

 

When I visited Mazatlan, Mexico a couple of years ago, I was anxious to try out my minimal Spanish.  Everyone welcomed my efforts, but most of the people who ran businesses, waited tables, drove taxis, ran the hotels, etc., all spoke English.  Americans are particularly proud of our ability to speak only one language; it is not uncommon for residents of other countries to speak two or more languages.  By the way, road signs, street signs etc. in Mazatlan were usually in English as well as Spanish.

 

But here at home, the immigration issue, whether legal or illegal immigrants, continues to be at the forefront of US politics.  Alarmists warn that illegal immigrants are taking my hard earned money via the taxes I pay.  Quite frankly, I’m more concerned about my tax dollars supporting the war in Iraq but to be fair, let’s take a look at illegal immigrants impact on the economy.  According to a recently released study by UNC-Chapel Hill, Hispanics make up 7% of North Carolina’s population (my home state).  The study also found that Hispanics contribute more than $9 billion to North Carolina’s economy, of which $756 million annually is contributed in taxes.  In addition, each Hispanic resident of NC costs the state a net of $102.00 per person.  For a summary of the report, or the full text, go to http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/ki/reports/2006_HispanicStudy/

 

But wait, I also need to be concerned that Americans are becoming a minority.  Funny thing is, if you substitute “white” for “American,” you can find the same warning on many of the interesting white supremacy websites on the Internet.  See for example, http://www.resist.com/Articles/literature/DeathOfTheWhiteRace.htm

 

American isn’t really an ethnic designation, it’s a descriptive term, and it just indicates that you live in America.  Folks that live in Central America and South America are also Americans.  If you want to get really specific, all of us are immigrants, albeit some of us involuntarily.  The only indigenous Americans in the US are the Native American Indian tribes.

 

What heritage do we need to protect?  Why are we so easily swayed by racist scare tactics?  Back in the late 19th century and on into the first half of the 20th century, the social science of eugenics was very popular in this country.  At the core of eugenics is a belief that some people are genetically and therefore inherently inferior to others.   Eugenics was touted as scientifically based in colleges and universities across the country.  It was used as the basis for justification for continuing practices of racial segregation in the United States.

 

The resurgence in anti immigrant fervor is not new.  Eugenics fueled the passage of the Immigration Act of 1924.  Eugenicists played a central role in the Congressional debate as expert advisers on the threat of "inferior stock" from eastern and southern Europe. This reduced the number of immigrants from abroad to 15 percent from previous years, to control the number of "unfit" individuals entering the country. In addition, the new act strengthened existing laws prohibiting race mixing in an attempt to maintain the purity of the gene pool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

 

In my mind, there are far more pressing matters in our country than singling out yet another group of people for discrimination and hate.  This time the issue isn’t so much skin color as it is language.  We become hysterical because we are asked to press 1 for English and 2 for Spanish.  The world has gotten smaller.  It no longer takes us months to travel across the Atlantic to Europe.  I can sit in my home and talk via instant messaging with a person that I’ve never met who lives in India.  We have information in Spanish and English in this country.  The world is not coming to an end; it’s flourishing.  We all have to decide where we stand on human rights issues, but it is important that we have a clear framing of those issues before we decide what we support and believe. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I especially like the line "the world is not coming to an end".  The sound of logic and clear thinking.  You have also isolated the real problem......FEAR.

Anonymous said...

Aimer, my friend: I have added your Journal to the Featured Feed Module on the AOL Journals main page. That means that every time you post an entry, anyone who is looking at the page has a direct link. Check it out!

Also -- check this tutorial out. It'll show you how to make links rather than pasting them into your entry ...

http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/09/18/how-to-make-and-edit-hyperlinks/1643

Anonymous said...

Yes, and fear is the opposite of love. I agree with you. I was startled when the first day of school started in my new school... I was told the population was different than where I had been teaching the last seven years. It was true. If you considered only skin and hair color. Blonde and white are definitely a minority here. I've never seen so many black headed kids in one building... but what isn't different is their need for an education. They need to learn how to speak properly (whichever language they prefer), to speak and read in English, to understand our culture well enough to adapt and get along (whether they are white, black, or Hispanic), to solve problems (both mathematical and life), to write coherently and logically, and to make known their needs and wants in a socially acceptable manner. The little kids I see, all of them beautiful, are reaching out for their learning, turning to us for guidance, trusting us with their futures, and all have this in common: they need to be loved, wanted, and cared for. What would it say about us if we didn't give them that much? Why can't we protect all our heritages? Why can't we see them as jewels in our hands instead of gravel?

Sheria, your passionate words are well written. I imagine you were an excellent teacher and are now an excellent lawyer. I'm pleased and proud to know you. Bea

http://beta.journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with everything that you have said in your entry .. but one major issue is definitely illegal immigration i mean i do feel they should be taxed as well as Americans = white people as they call us ... and being that i do see these same people that we speak of ... illegal aliens i find myself stuck in the middle because allthough i do speak to these people also i take them to work now would you call me a bad person to do such things i often conversate with these same people that our country is calling illegal aliens they are nice people and they are here for the same reason that we live each day to work and to help ourselves and their familys also .. I quote after speaking to many of them : They are simply trying to better their lives and dont want to go back to their countrys because they say most are not good places and that they would never make the type of money there as they make here .. With this I dont agree that they are a big problem .. I mean if you would hear some of the stories that they tell me about sneaking into this country you would find it to be very upsetting and not only that the way they were getting treated in their own countrys I feel that in a little way i help them everyday by getting them to work and home safe and at the same time i take a risk with myself my transporting them but if i was really concerned  i wouldnt do it .. And i will continue to because for a little bit i feel like im doing my deed for the day and the days to come and not only will it pay off for me in the end it will pay off for them also ..

Anonymous said...

Since when do ILLEGAL ALIENS dictate what language the USA will speak?  there has been enough studies/ research doneto set the matter clear about the laws of MEXICO and how they treat aliens coming into their country.   Yes, thebible speaks about "calling right- wrong and wrong -right."   The greedy employers in the U.S. just want cheap labor but that will hurt us all in the long run.   And, allitwill take is one terrorit coming over the Southern border to slap some sense into our air-head Liberal Lefty Dems and the rest of Congress.  Ask Canada if they really like the 2 language thing they've got going for them...

tschuckman@aol.com

Tom S

Anonymous said...

Well, amen to both of these entries. I think you are exhibiting marked good sense in both of them.  I lived for 20 years in a suburb 95% hispanic and noted that some would see cause for alarm when any other race seemed to be expanding and doing better. I grew up with people talking the same way about the Indians.  In order to get home, I cross miles of the Navaho reservation.  I was very amused when a boyfriend took me there once and kept exclaiming about how could people live like this!  When we stopped to talk to a young navaho he said that he had gone to college, and he appeared to be a good deal more educated than my boyfriend who camped out most of year with his job of skidder operator in the high timber!   Gerry

Anonymous said...

To Tom S, just in case you visit again.  What makes you think that there is a master plan to force everyone in the US to speak a second language?  

Anonymous said...

I accidently send my reply to your elequent Journal to my own Journal. Hey, there is a first time for everyone... so, much for knowing English. If you care to read it at RIVERSHARKI@aol.com.

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful entry.  I agree with everything you wrote, especially the part about Americans only speaking one language.

I understand the need to make English the official language to a certain degree, but to resist learning how to speak another language is absurd - in my opinion.

Again, great post!

Anonymous said...

I think if you come to live here..........you should learn to speak the language. Just like If I went to live in Germany. I dang well better learn German. I am against illegal immigration as well. Bam

Anonymous said...

Bam, my dear, my point isn't that people shouldn't make the effort to learn the language.  I know quite a few folks for whom English is a     second language and I've never encountered a single person who adamantly refused to try and learrn English.  However, learning a second language as an adult is very difficult.  I know, because I've been learning Spanish!  It is just a courtesy to provide information in Spanish in a country where the population of folks that speak Spanish has greatly increased in the past 15 years.  How does it harm you or anyone else to have information posted in more than one language?  Many other countries already do this.  If you travel to european cities, Mexico, South America, etc. information is often provided in English as well as the native language as a courtesy to visitors.  The US is one of the few major countries that actually prides itself on speaking only one language!