Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Say It Isn't So

I am afraid of birds.  All birds, from hummingbird to ostrich.  I like to say that I have a bird phobia; it sounds a little more dignified than saying that I am frightened of sparrows.

I don't know why I have a fear of birds.  I was never attacked by birds as a child and I was already petrified of them long before I saw Hitchcock's documentary, "The Birds."  Yeah, I know most people think it's only a movie but in my world it is far too real.

So here I was today, reading the New York Times, a reputable newspaper, when I came across a story that has left me shaken and disturbed.  Somewhere in Argentina, paleontologists have discovered the fossil of the largest known bird. 

How large?  Ten feet tall, around 400 pounds and with a head the size of a horse's head.  Did I mention it had a beak like an eagle's, only bigger and that it was a carnivore?  It was flightless but paleontolgists theorize it was fleet of foot based on its skeletal structure.  They compare it to the ostrich.  Ostriches can reach speeds of 45 miles per hour.

I know that they are extinct, but no matter how many times Godzilla was buried under a ton of rocks he always came back. 

Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol  =)   that cracked me up!!!  i'm terrified in the same way of spiders lol; all you have to do is step on them and poof they're dead lol but still i run!!

Anonymous said...

yup! I read about that bird in The Week and didan entryabout it! people loved it!
natalie