Sunday, December 9, 2007

Embracing Me or How I Became a Red Hot Mama

This entry began as an email to my blogami, Marc. (Don’t you just love that word? Marc found it. Ami is French for friend.)  He wrote me a very thoughtful email in response to my email response to his comments to my journal entry on dating. I started an email response that just grew and grew and voila, a journal entry! Marc Olmsted also created the artwork that graces this entry. He calls his creations Hy-Art as they are a hybrid mix of two or more classic works of art combined in such way as to present a new vision of the original works. Go to his journal for other examples of his artistic creations.

 

I have come to realize that I have finally arrived in a good place when it comes to self-image and self-love. It’s been quite a journey getting here. As a child, as an adolescent and as a woman, I was convinced of my utter unattractiveness, that I was down right ugly. My mother didn't help, as she was highly critical of my appearance. In her eyes I was too fat, too dark, and my hair was too nappy. She was constantly putting me on diets, buying skin lighteners by the gallon, and using a hot comb to straighten my hair. However, what she believed was a reflection of the message that the larger culture was sending and in her own way, she was trying to give me the tools that she thought that I needed to make my way in the world. My mother's skin color reflects the miscegenation on her father's side of the family. My grandfather's father was a white landowner. I get my skin tone from my father's side of the family.

 

Everyone is impacted to some extent by cultural norms of beauty, but for a black girl growing up in the fifties, there was nothing to reflect that there was anything attractive about being black in the media images surrounding us. Lena Horne was the epitome of black beauty, because her features were more European (which she enhanced with plastic surgery), her skin was caramel colored, and her hair was straight in texture and then softly curled. The entire message from within and without black society was that lighter skin and straight hair was better.

 

I broke out of bondage a few times. The first time was when I was 14 and decided that I wanted an Angela Davis style afro. My mother was horrified but she eventually just gave up and ignored my embarrassing do! However, by the time that I hit my twenties, chemical relaxers were all the rage and I began getting my hair chemically straightened. The advantage was that unlike hot comb straightened hair, chemically relaxed hair could survive rain, showers, and swimming pools for about 8 to 12 weeks before reapplication was needed. When the Jheri curl hit the scene, I switched to what was a less debilitating process for the hair and was happy with my controlled curly look for years.

 

However, I was still fat and dark and convinced that I was one step away from grotesque. It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I made peace with my skin color. Partly it was due to Whoopi Goldberg's one-woman show in which she adopted a variety of persona's and engaged in comic monologues with serious undertones. I was particularly struck by her creation of a six-year-old black girl who was wearing a white man's shirt on her head, and referred to it as her "long blond hair." In a monologue less than 10 minutes long, Whoopi skewered the whole notion of "good hair" (straight, silky, more like white people's hair) and "bad hair" (kinky, nappy, more typically black people's natural hair texture).  Her six year old persona was also concerned about being "too black," and Whoopi used her humor to point out the ridiculous beliefs that powered such nonsense. I didn't shed years of insecurity in the course of watching her performance but I started the journey to self-love.

 

At some point, I later read an article by Audre Lourde on the politics of hair, in which she talked about the complex societal issues that surrounded black folks' hair. I don't remember all the details, but there had been several lawsuits involving employers attempting to ban certain hairstyles from the workplace as being unprofessional, hairstyles typically worn by black people--braids, cornrows, twists, afros, and locks. Ms. Loudre made me think about the politics of hair in an entirely new light. [Lest you think that this issue of hair is a thing of the past, this summer, two women who worked at a corrections facility in Virginia were fired because their supervisor decreed that their natural braids and locks were inappropriate and extreme hairstyles, and they refused to alter them. In 2006 in Virginia Beach, Kokoamos Island Bar refused admission to people wearing their hair in locks, twists, cornrows, or braids.]

 

My real eye opener came when I turned 40. Several of my lighter complexion black female friends and virtually all of my white female friends were bemoaning the wrinkles and crinkles of aging, but my darker sisters and I were as smooth as we were at 30. For the first time, I begin to see a real advantage to darker skin. As my good friend H wisecracks, "Black don't crack." The extra melanin in darker skin is a real advantage when it comes to showing the signs of aging, as much of the damage to skin is done by the effects of exposure to sunlight. Vanity is my name.

 

In my forties, I began to experiment with more natural hairstyles. I gave up the use of chemicals to alter my hair texture. I wore braids with extensions, which means that the hairdresser braids your hair while adding in extra hair, artificial or human, to add length and/or volume to the style. But a little over a year ago, I went through another hair evolution.

 

Not long after Imus’ remarks about nappy hair, I decided to forego the extensions that my hairdresser added to my “natural” do to provide increased length and volume. Actually, decided is not exactly accurate. I had an appointment for Saturday morning to get my usual twists with extensions added. On Friday night, after I had removed the current crop of added human hair, my hairdresser called and announced that she was overbooked and couldn’t see me until Monday. I had only two options, stay in all weekend or give myself a hairdo. I washed and braided my hair that evening. The next morning, I unbraided my hair into a decidedly nappy afro.

           

I called my sister. “I have a fro. I think that I like it but I need input. Can I come over?”

 

My sister has a glorious head of locks and I trusted her to tell me true as to whether I was rocking the fro or just delusional.

 

When I walked in, she gave me her emphatic approval of my new/old style. Since then I’ve been sporting truly natural hair with no extensions. I’ve rediscovered my own hair. Sometimes I wear an afro, at other times two strand twists and my current favorite is a look known as the twist out. The nappy texture of my hair is essential to my ability to wear these hairstyles. I love my nappiness; it takes me back to my youth, when I first wore an afro.

 

I've also come to like the woman that I see in the mirror. She's attractive. Her skin is a smooth and glowing mahogany color, her hairdo is cute and sassy, and she has a beautiful smile. I'm also no longer afraid of a full-length mirror. I'm buxom, curvaceous, womanly. A few years ago when I committed to losing weight it was because my excess weight was taking such a toll on my physical health. I had long given up the notion that I could be attractive and saw no point in fighting the weight battle; I would still be ugly. But as my health slid down hill, I realized that I wanted to live more than I wanted the numbing comfort of food.

 

I confess that I'm proud of myself. As I have mentioned before, to date I've lost 148 pounds. No surgery, no pills, just treating myself to healthy food and exercise. I feel younger which is good, because now my feelings match my unlined brow. Told you that my name is vanity.

 

I admit that I would like to be a part of a twosome. I haven't been in a relationship in quite some time and looking back on past relationships, I recognize that they were for the most part, emotionally unhealthy. I didn't love myself, how could anyone else love me? I made bad choices, selecting men who were unobtainable for whatever reason, and men whom I knew would ultimately leave me. I'm wiser now, and I know that I deserve better.

 

I don't like being rejected, but then again, who does? I really appreciate the kind words and the supportive advice that I receive from my postings about my online dating woes, but I really am okay. You see, I think that I'm an interesting, funny, sexy  woman and any man would be lucky to have me. I'm also pretty damn cute! 

 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheria you've done it again"Inspired me" I hear you as far as the hair goes, but I'm still not brave enought o to the "Natural look" however I do love my extensions, I have been with my hairdresser for 17 years, I more faithful to her than I have been to anyone ...lol . As for having seen several pictures of you I thought of you as strong statuesque, with a open lively face to the more intelligent of the species that is a winning combination and of course no wrinkles you'll always be the envy of most women. "You Go Girl"

Love

Yasmin
x

Anonymous said...

What a lovely entry. It is so fulfiling when one accepts their own body and hair and does not sucumb (sp?) to what the media think we should look like. It's not so much society, but the media that paint these hideous pictures of what not just a black woman should look like but a white woman too. I read the other day that young boys and adult males are now concerned that they do not have enough body mass as they are bombarded by images of WWF wrestlers etc, everyday of their lives.
I beleive that it doesn't matter what your skin colour or body shape, age brings that feeling of 'whatever' and acceptance of how we feel about ourselves.

Beauty comes from within. Trust me Sheria. I don't know what you look like but you are one hell of an attractive Lady.
Gaz xx

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna content myself with being the "muse" of such a lovely entry, and will refrain from my usual verbosity and just stick to a Brava on the weight losss (I completely forgot) and the self-celebration.
And I can't resist mentioning Sargent Harris, the African-American guard at Cedar Dorm at Chino State Prison.  I couldn't believe all of her varied hairstyles until someone told me every day was a new wig!
And isn't it funny how many white people cornrow these days? Can you imagine if we could go back in time and zap some southern belle in her sleep?
So much for my short comment...

Anonymous said...

Love this entry. What us white girls wouldn't give for a wrinkle free face and corn rows! For the life of me I don't know what nappy means, but then I'm just country. Paula

Anonymous said...

Seems no matter how many reminders of how unevolved or stagnant society here still is, I think we're the beneficiaries of a greater number of more progressive thinking and an acceptance of differences never dreamed of when you and I were "coming up".  White girls had their "standard" too, which they'd die trying to reach - but if you weren't blonde, blue-eyed with honey-dew skin and tiny curveless figure, too bad you're out.  It hurts, alot and a long time.  Bias lives in people's minds so thankfully it's mendable.  Time, patience, it all comes back around.  Remember Ava Gardner playing a Creole in Showboat?  Her character wasn't "allowed" the happy ending with a white man.  That's so outdated now and it's only been about 50 yrs, so I have a bit of faith we're getting it right.  And yes, you ARE cute and sexy!  Your profile page is an orgy of color!  I love color.  xoxo CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/      

Anonymous said...

Note:  I remember Audre Lorde and how her words startled me in a new way.  Also remember Angela Davis very well, but her message got lost behind her deed, I think.  The hair?  An in-your-face explosion lol!!    

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, positive entry!  I love all the details.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Loved this entry Sheria.  I think you are a beautiful woman.  I have struggled with my looks for years as well.  I have never felt beautiful, even when I was stick thin and, looking back at the pictures, quite pretty to look at.  Now I am old and fat and not that easy on the eyes.  With age though has come the realization that true beauty comes from within, and what I needed was a man who appreciated me for who I was inside, and if I could find one of those, then he'd appreciate the outside as well.  I have been lucky I guess as I found one!  I'd still love to be able to look in the mirror and like what I see staring back at me, but maybe that will come in the next lifetime!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I've read Autobiography of a Face  by Lucy Grealy a fews times(I could send it to you).  She wrote: I spent 5 years  being treated for cancer, but since then I've spent 15 years being treated for nothing other than looking different from everyone else.
The cancer removal had greatly deformed her face & much torment resulted.  I gave the book to a very average looking person who read it,  returned it & said:  I'd rather die than look like that.

NOW, that tells me there is something so wrong with us, & we need to fix it. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

The discovery of yourself, your own beauty and uniqueness.  I'm glad:)  No doubt you were attractive all along, yet without feeling confident in yourself, feeling worthy of even being good to yourself, that won't come across.  

There was a preschooler kicked out of his private school for wearing, hmmm, I forget if it was cornrows or locks (and yes, I know the difference).  His parents refused to alter the haircut, and found him a different school while they are protesting.  This was just earlier this fall even.  Adorable kid.

Love Marc's work, I so agree!!

Embrace that which is good and worthy, and if you also find yourself in a healthier romantic relationship?  Great.  If not, you're still good and worthy and attractive.

Anonymous said...

I used to tell black women to look at the natural beauty they possessed and not be lead by the "in thing" to make you look different. I always shunned participation in arguments about preferences about skin tones and condition of hair. When I first visited parts of Africa in the 70s one of the most noticable differences I found was that most Africans there did nothing...I repeat nothing to their hair. Some comb it but others do nothing to it. Its called going natural. Real natural.

Upon returning to the states I had an even stronger feeling  about especially black women doing all sorts of stuff to their hair to fit in with the crowd.

Be your self and go on and be sassy and stay a Red Hot Mama.

Spencer

Anonymous said...

i've been away for a week...and my you have been one busy writer!  :)  i really relate to what you have written here...i still struggle with my feelings on my looks, weight, something i've said.  i think i've improved, but it's still a battle.  why oh why is accepting ourselves so hard??  148 lbs!!!!  way to go!!!  i love your last 2 sentences!!
gina

Anonymous said...

Age is a fabulous teacher of self image. I always knew somehow even at a young age, that image was never as important as what we beheld within us. Yet there is a constant media bombardment of what we are suppose to look like. (Even wonder why there isn't much said about inner beauty?) Finally I went with my heart and a popular saying that I hold close. Beauty fades the heart remains. I must tell you my dear friend you have a truly beautiful spirit and I'm ever so glad to know you. I see the spirit in all it's wonderous beauty, in the end it outshines whatever outside trappings we have. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

You made me want to see a photo of you.  My friend Joyce just starting growing her hair into what do they call it dread locks when they are long, but hers are still short.  She looks so cute.  My half black grandson Jamal is wearing his hair close cropped now, but it is coal black, so beautiful.  He has such an exotic look.  Everybody has always thought he had such interesting hair and so many wanted to touch it.  He looked different with every length.  It's quite fascinating.  Gerry