Tuesday, August 14, 2007

a little about mostly nothing

I love music. This is no surprise to my regular visitors who no doubt notice my prediliction for changing the music every couple of weeks. If you don't hear any music when you visit my journal, please let me know. My dear friend Bea (Wanderer) told me over lunch last Saturday that she doesn't recall hearing music when she opens my journal. I need to know if all of my uploading efforts are for naught. The song of the week plays only once and it may take a moment to load.

I have eclectic tastes in music. I like R&B, country, classical, reggae, opera etc. I'm not fond of most rap, but primarily because it's more talking than singing. It's also often misogynistic and homophobic, when I can understand the lyrics. I'm also not a big bluegrass fan, although I've heard a song or two in that genre that I like.

I like singer songwriters; folks who write and perform their own music really impress me. Currently I'm enamored of the sound of a young British singer songwriter by the name of Corrinne Bailey Rae. The song that I hope that you hear when you open my journal is from her CD.

When I was growing up, I would play a song over and over again, trying to learn the lyrics. This was a challenging process because it was the dark ages, BCD (Before CDs). If the song that I wanted to learn was the third track on the album, then I would have to gently drop the stereo arm so that the needle landed on the third track without scratching the record. Today's young people don't realize the trauma that we suffered in the old days.

In spite of my efforts over the years, I am guilty of mishearing song lyrics. Actually, it's not mishearing the lyrics that is the problem, it's my insistence on singing along with the song anyway. This happens most often when I'm in my car, riding along with the radio on or my newest CD. My friends and family can attest to this. My sister has told me that I sing the loudest when I have no idea what the lyrics are. Back in BCD, I loved the Supremes. One of my favorite Supremes' hits was Stop in the Name of Love. The chorus was:

Stop in the name of love

Before you break my heart.

Think it all over,

Haven’t I been good to you?

Think it all over,

Haven’t I been sweet to you?

I could never quite make out the words in the third and fifth lines, so what I sang was, Sling it all over. It didn't make much sense to me but I was a mere child. I didn't have any such excuse for my biggest misheard lyric ever. When Earth, Wind, and Fire hit the music scene, I was no longer a child. In my defense, I had only heard the song on the radio. I loved the beat, but the lyrics didn't make much sense to me. Nonetheless, I sang along everytime the song played. I thought that the name of the song was Turpentine Fire. The chorus was the same line, repeated twice and what I thought I heard was: Gonna tell a story moaning glory all about the turpentine fire. The actual lyric is: Gonna tell a story morning glory all about the serpentine fire and the title of the song is Serpentine Fire. Of course, I'm not certain that the actual lyric makes any more sense than my version.

Well, I have important things to do so I must go. Okay, I'm really signing off so I can watch Big Brother 8.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny! I remember the same music, and how I couldn't understand the words, so I'd make up my own. LIke you said, didn't matter that it didn't make sense. I didn't care up until I was a teenager. By then, I wanted to know the exact lyrics, and I'd replay the same verse over and over trying to figure them out... I got so good at predicting precisely where to set the needle onto the groove. I learned to read the grooves, in a way. I'm thinking you did too... thanks again for doing the search on the singer of The Promise... she has such a powerful voice. No, no music here for me to listen to... probably something wrong on my end. I remember when you first embedded the music last year, and I heard it then, but not hearing it now. Oh well, I'll figure it out, I'm sure. bea

http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/entries/2007/08/13/our-trip-to-alabama/2268

Anonymous said...

I'm singing "your" version of Stop In The Name Of Love from now on -- That's priceless! ;-P Just last week I found out the second line in Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer is really, "Tommy used to work on the docks" and for the last twenty years I've been singing, "Johnny gets to work on the dot."  My DH heard me and I thought he would never recover from laughing so hard. Now I'm wondering how many of my friends heard me sing that and NEVER corrected me. :-D

Darn, I can't hear the music on this end, but my computer is very ancient and I'm on dialup. When I upgrade, I'll have to  learn how to upload music to my journal. Like you, I love music and I'd like to add a "theme song" according to my mood with each update.

Have a great day!
Mia ~  

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!!! Also battling to get back up LOL! Soo funny about lyrics,Sheria...have also been known to have my own versions LOL!! Thanks soo much for the well-wishes for our move...it's MUCH appreciated! Take care..hugs, Shauneen