Saturday, March 1, 2008

Please Stop

The following picture is courtesy of the creative efforts of Marc Olmsted, a very talented man. It features Star Jones, Michelle Obama, and yours truly. Hopefully, you will understand the inspiration for the picture and its caption by the end of this post. Thanks, Marc, I've always wanted to be a Supreme.

The Supremes

I've been anxious to get back to my blog and comment on the many things going on in the world but I have been delayed because Paris Hilton stole my life, forcing me to have to work for a living. As always, there is much in the world that grabs my attention; well, okay, maybe not the entire world, mostly my own little world. One thing that caught my eye this week is that Bill O'Reilly has been helping black people again.

You may recall that I asked him not to help us anymore in a post, It's Always Something, that I wrote about his charitable impulses a few months back. On that occasion, Mr. O'Reilly helped us by declaring, after a visit to Sylvia's, a well known Harlem soul food restaurant, that black people were just like any other group of people. He expressed his amazement that the patrons were well-behaved and asserted that not once did he hear anyone screaming, " Mother****er, I want more iced tea,."

I was bowled over by Mr. O'Reilly's words of praise for my race; I made a vow right then and there, that should I ever meet Mr. O'Reilly, I was going to return the favor and compliment Bill on his ability to walk and chew gum at the same time. Believing that too much praise isn't good for any group of people, I had hoped that Bill was done with praising black people. However, he's come to our defense again. This time, he spoke up on behalf of Michelle Obama, potential First Lady of the United States.

Mrs. Obama has been taking a lot of flack for her statement  that "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country." Her words didn't make me blink or pause. If you don't understand why a black person may not have warm and fuzzy feelings of pride in this country, maybe you could do with a little study of history. No, I'm not talking about slavery, it was immoral and degrading, but humankind has enslaved each other since the beginning of our time on this planet. It's the subsequent era of Jim Crow, intentional racial segregation and degradation that lasted well into the 20th century that is the shame of this country. No, I don't want to leave; it's my country built on the sweat of my ancestors, and I'm not going anywhere. No, I don't want your pity or sympathy; it's not needed, but I totally get what Michelle Obama meant by her comment.

However, a lot of people have been a bit peeved with her, accusing her and by association, her husband, Barack Obama, of being less than patriotic. One of those angry people called Fox News Channel's 'The O'Reilly Factor,' and shared his ire with host, Bill O'Reilly. Bill, having forgotten all the attention that he received the last time he complimented black peolpe, valiantly came to Michelle Obama's defense.

"I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels. If that's how she really feels - that is a bad country or a flawed nation, whatever - then that's legit. We'll track it down."

It would take me far too long to go into the whole history of lynching and lynching parties in this country. By the way, lynching was a post slavery practice that achieved popularity during Reconstruction and peaked again in the 20th century. Records indicate that there were more than 4,500 lynchings in the US between 1882 and 1968, although many historians think that there were significantly more lynchings that went unrecorded. There were no official records kept and most accounts came from local newspapers in stories written after the fact. A lynching party was a community event, entire families attended, including the children. We know this because some enterprising souls took pictures, even made  them into postcards and sold them at the General Store.

When I read this story earlier this week; I planned to write a thoughtful discussion on lynching and the inappropriateness of O'Reilly's helpful commentary, but Star Jones beat me too it, posing a series of questions that precisely echoed my sentiments, "What the hell? If it's 'legit,' you're going to 'track it down?' And then what do you plan to do?" In an open letter to helpful Bill, she writes,

Bill, I'm not sure of where you come from, but let me tell you what the phrase 'lynching party' conjures up to me, a black woman born in North Carolina . Those words depict the image of a group of white men who are angry with the state of the own lives getting together, drinking more than they need to drink, lamenting how some black person has moved forward (usually ahead of them in stature or dignity), and had the audacity to think that they are equal. These same men for years, instead of looking at what changes, should and could make in their own lives that might remove that bitterness born of perceived privilege, these white men take all of that resentment and anger and decide to get together and drag the closest black person near them to their death by hanging them from a tree -- usually after violent beating, torturing and violating their human dignity. Check your history books, because you don't need a masters or a law degree from Harvard to know that is what constitutes a 'lynching party.'

Ms. Jones is a fellow North Carolinian and in southern parlance, she gets him told good. Her entire letter is availabe online, click here if you would like to read it. I really do hope that Bill O'Reilly gets his altruism under control and stops trying to offer helpful comments and observations on the behalf of black people. I don't know which is worse, his helpful comments or his lame apologies. Anyway, just so that Mr. O'Reilly knows that I'm not mad at him, I've posted a musical plea asking him to cease and desist.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez, the man is the epitome of what the "foot in mouth disease" is all about. I'm not even going to apologize for him...should we fire back with the white aneurysm trying to change him is like "beating a dead horse"?....Actually I wouldn't lower myself to his level, he's doing a good enough job  tearing up his own credibility all on his own. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I don't really understand American politics, or know the players but it seems to me that, Bill O'Reilly has clearly not read his history books, or as we say in the UK has been living in a cave all his life, for him as an "American" not to understand the very concept of a "Lynching Party" and all that it entails should really crawl back to his cave and stay there. I also want to add, I'm British but not always proud of my country does that make me less than patriotic, perhaps, then give me something that I can be proud of.
A very interesting post, that has got me thinking, thank you, also your choice of song is very apt.
You look great as a Supreme

Take care

Yasmin
xx



Anonymous said...

Bill O'Reilly personally doesn't concern me, it's all the people who keep watching him that scare the bejeezus out of me.  They are the spirtual inheritors of the lynchers, in many cases, no doubt, they are the lynchers actual grand and great-grandchildren. The O'Reillys and the Coulters in the Limbaughs should be sideshow Bobs forced to rant on Ham radios because there aren't enough people to listen to them. But they have plenty of fans. Way too many/
But there is a cure for Bill O'Reilly--he's called Keith Olbermann.
Now, to the important stuff. Anyone you know who can get my rendition to Michelle Obama, Ms. North Carolina Black Caucus? (Does that make you a Caucusian?)

Anonymous said...

Great entry. It never ceases to amaze me the sheer cluelessness of some people. I tend to be very dismissive of those kinds of comments, because any thinking person will understand how ridiculous they are.

Take care,
Beth

Anonymous said...

which is why I have skip the channel when his show is on. Seems he can't speak without insulting someone. I'm a peacekeeper by nature and he makes me mad just about every time I watch him. Totally ruins my evening if I watch him for very long. lol - Did I hear that he wrote a children's book or something a while back? LOL! Oh, Lordy, don't get me started.

By the way, great job on the photo! ;-) Having read one of your older posts, I think of you every time I hear the Supremes now.  

Take care!

Anonymous said...

And to add insult to injury I just had a fella attempting to get me to understand that O'Rielly speaks well of ...even Blacks.  Duh! And he is one of our electorate.

Spencer

Anonymous said...

I have not followed the US presidential elections very closely, Sheria, but Michelle Obama needs some training FAST as to how not to slouch when standing next to Barack and how to speak in public with confidence.
Race is a total irrelevance in my book. If Senator Obama presents a good sets of policies and actually shows they are realistic then he should be president. But, I'm realistic enough to realise that for many folks your side of the pond, race is an issue. Still.

Anonymous said...

Sheria, I am confident that given the chance that Barack and Michelle will step up and grow into their positions.  Thanks for stopping by my wife's journal, http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

Keep up the excellent writing :o)
http://journals.aol.com/buckoclown/Bucko

Anonymous said...

I don't know why that man shocks and amazes me still; I should know by now.  There is no need for his lynching party, nor any desire for it.  Shaking my head...

Well written, Sheria.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my new blog, gayscribeinthecity.blogspot.com...and for the kind words.  You and I share a mutual friend, the blogger blogmeister, Marc Olmsted...through him you found my blog.  This is my first visit to yours and it hit me between the eyes...great writing and you don't hold back...just the way I like it!  You deliver powerful words from a powerful woman..keep writing and I'll keep reading!  C.S.

Anonymous said...

I just added your blog (and the link) to my 'best of the best' recommendations in my "Blog Cabin" locale in my (new/fledging) blog: gayscribeinthecity.blogspot.com.  Your blog is provocative, thought-provoking, entertaining and intelligent reading.  As I've said of it before, it's powerful words from a powerful woman...and thanks for your support of my blog and the comments you've posted...C.S.

Anonymous said...

Playing catch up here again! I do remember Ms Obama's comments but didn't have the same take on them as other people seem to have. It seems to me ANYTHING that is said by ANYONE, in these elections can be interprated as they wish. Thank God for Fox news for reading through the crap and giving an open an honest opinion of her comments. LOLOL.
Gaz xx