Thursday, March 27, 2008

Birthdays and Kissing Toads

When I posted my birthday thank you yesterday, I was in a hurry to get to an event in my county for the Obama for President campaign. I got there on time and was delighted that there was a really good turn out of over 300 people. Other meetings are scheduled across North Carolina as the date for our state primaries, May 6, rapidly approaches.

Due to my rushed state, I was unable to post the lovely birthday Hy-Art that Marc sent me which inspired me to hum Helen Reddy's  Angie Baby all day, and inspired me to post the weirdly erotic video in yesterday's post. Okay, so you didn't see it as erotic and you just think that I'm weird. I can live with that, especially as Beth left a lovely comment in Marc's journal avowing that I am just plain cool.

As those of you who have followed my blog know, on occasion I've written about my forays into the world of online dating. For the most part it has brought to mind the country hit, Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places. Nonetheless, I persevere, knowing that certainly I've kissed enough frogs and that odds are that I'll find a prince if I just keep working at it. Marc, always thoughtful, sent me an inspirational image for my birthday, to encourage me in my search for true love. I added the caption at the top.

As some of you know, I am a poet and I rummaged through my poetry to find a poem that I wrote some years ago. I was reminded of the poem below when I started thinking about kissing frogs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A Fairy Tale

Once upon a time,

we played under hot yellow sun,

princess and lady-in-waiting,

searching far horizons for knights in armor,

knights with stalwart hearts and sturdy swords

to rescue princesses from vengeful dragons.

 

We moved on

from knights to princes

with surreal kisses to waken princesses from dreamless sleep

or with glass slippers to fit the feet,

and rescue princesses from dreaded drudgery.

 

And still we moved on,

to grown-up lovers

with warm, wet kisses amid tangled sheets,

whispered lies to soothe the heart and soul.

 

We moved on to where the magic goes

and a toad

no matter how sweetly kissed,

still remains a toad.

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silly! Don't you know you're supposed to lick a toad? That how you get the hallucinogenic substances to make you think he's a prince!
Love the added tagline.  In a parallel universe, we own an agency: R&O Advertising.

Anonymous said...

Marc's right, a kiss jusr doesn't give you enuf of that hallucinogen, you have to lick the warty thing.  Funny though, about online dating - I find the less I try, the more that comes my way.  And they don't appear from a virtual world, incredibly.  I don't know how that works exactly but as Tolle says, it's what you "transmit" to the world that comes back to you.  If it's loving, guess what you get? xoxo CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/ :-)

Anonymous said...

Like yourself I've kissed many frogs but will draw the line at licking a toad..lol instead I celebrate my single sisterhood with relish, after delving into the nether world of "online dating" where the only thing I kissed was my money goodbye.lol
Love the poem very apt.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful Hy-Art rendition from Marc. Somehow I knew when I gave your link to Beth, that you two would enjoy each others journals. Your both cool in my book! Wonderful poetry hon, it's a perfect addition to the Hy-Art. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I love his choice of painting. He seems to know your tastes very well. I see where you're coming from... however, I like the man in this classic painting rather than the computer generated image in your Angie Baby music video. For obvious reasons. I won't say more! <grin> BTW, Happy Belated Birthday! And glad you got to see Obama. bea

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry Sheria.  I know that I did my fare share of Toad kissing when I was doing the online dating scene, and I reckon there were a few princes that saw me as a toad as well.  I got very frustrated at how juvenile some of the older men were that I met online.  They were all looking for cutsie supermodel types.  HELLO!  Have you looked in a mirror lately??  That would be my thought at any rate.  Thankfully I did persevere and found my prince eventually as will you.  You're too fine not to!!
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY SHERIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the picture...and the poem...yes, I agree, a toad is a toad is a toad LOL...LOVe Shauneen xxx

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot it was your birthday, but I went to see the birthday photo by Marc.  Nice.  I am glad that Obama got a good turnout in North Carolina.  This campaign for presidential nominee is coming up very interesting.  Hope we will continue to get your impressions about what is happening in your state and across the nation as well.  Robb here, the Arizona Republic columnist got quite a lot of adverse reaction to his flat statement that Obama's speech on CN was bad!  Many did not agree including me.  I was interested to read that James Carville is running Hillary's campaign who I think can be obnoxious and called the Governor of N.M. a Judas for coming out for Obama.  Does he owe Hillary that much?  And Hilary shouted at him 30 minutes for his abandonment. Gerry  

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten that our primaries are on the same day. We can compare notes!

Ken and I met online. I was slowly but surely getting over a long distance romance that ended badly, and one day I was just surfing and started looking at the personal ads on AOL. At first it was just for laughs, because some of the ads were so funny ("I want to give a lady a sensual shampoo." Huh??). But I came across Ken's and he sounded...normal...and I thought, "Oh, what the hell," and sent him an email. We started corresponding, met for a date, got engaged 3 months after that, and married about 4 months after that. First time I ever responded to a personal ad, and I actually found my prince. I'm a lucky girl.

Of course, we were both in our late 30's at that time, both divorced, and I had been through enough crummy relationships to know pretty much what I DIDN'T want. Sometimes that's even more important than knowing what you want!

Don't you just love happy endings? I sure do. Have a wonderful weekend!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Love the poem!  I think all girls feel that way. Happy belated birthday.  I hope it was a great day! ~ Caroline ~

Anonymous said...

i like the poem, and your line on the hy-art is hilarious!  ya never know when that prince in shining armour will appear...remember, that's where i met my hubby...this summer will be our 4th anniversary.  i'm very blessed.  :)
gina

Anonymous said...

I pmp when I read that caption........... If I was straight, I'd marry ya Darlin!
Gaz xxx