Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sister Girl Is In The House

I have a friend and his name is Marc. He has a knack for posing probative questions that challenge me to do some healthy self-introspection. Recently, his question was, if I could choose to change either my race or gender, which would it be? I couldn't make a choice.

Yesterday, he posted a comment to my entry on Senator Obama's speech on race in America:

Eventually, Obama is going to show some flaws, and I want to make sure we don't put him too high on a pedestal ,that we punish him for revealing himself to be human. Right now, I'm just incredibly grateful that it looks like we might have a President who's smarter than a 5th grader's teacher's teacher, as opposed to the 4th grader we have now.
I sent him an email response to his comment and he sent me a response to my email, actually, he sent two responses, but I'll share the short version first because it made me laugh (Marc is really good at making me laugh):
Now, how about blogging in this voice, sister-girl, un-hunh, hunh!

His second email was a tad more serious reiteration of the first.

I had to dash off that last email before running out the door, but what I meant was there is a personal voice here that is very compelling. Your assessment of the political scene is always unassailable, but often written almost in third person, somewhat at a remove, like a very sharp op-ed article. I love "I like being a black woman," your very personal reporting about what it's like to navigate two worlds simultaneously.

Just as he intended, it got me thinking about who I am and who I choose to be. I admit that my first thought when I read Marc's emails was that I don't choose to write in a removed voice, it's just who I am, but then I really thought about it and realized that I do present a certain voice as my public self, almost without thinking about it. (In other words, Marc hit the nail on the head!)

I think that a lot of black folks slip personas on and off like most people change clothes. I think it stems from a need to prove that we are worthy. Most of my professional life is spent in predominantly white circles; often all white except for me. I never feel that I'm just Sheria, there is always a sense that I represent my people.

I don't think that it's black paranoia. Whenever a white person does something illegal, stupid, or cruel, it is that person who is judged. When a black person behaves badly, it is the race that is judged.

The list of white men who have stolen from their own companies and destroyed the lives of countless people have not led to any conclusion that you can't trust white men to invest your money, but the list of black men who have stolen some woman's purse on the street has led to a conclusion that all black men are violent and if you see one coming, clutch your purse tightly.

Perhaps the best example of this dual system of judging the actions of an individual as representative of the group occurred with Timothy McVeigh. He was a home grown terrorist, part of a gun-hoarding, Midwestern, all white, self-proclaimed militia, out to overthrow the government. Yet when he was caught and tried, there was no profiling of white men in their early twenties as suspected domestic terrorists. Then there was 9/11 and any person who looked remotely as if they could be Middle Eastern was a terrorist suspect. Black people have put up with this type of profiling for generations.

Today, my friend's email made me realize that I don't generally share my sister-girl personality in my professional life or on this blog. I slip into my alter ego, Sheria the lawyer, also known as former high school English teacher, who speaks and writes standard English and thinks analytically at all times. Don't get me wrong, that is a part of who I am, but there is also the woman who loves her black culture, who can't sit still when I hear Aretha sing anything, who appreciates the richness of our slang and the rhythm of our speech.

So I'm sharing some of the thoughts in the email that I sent to my friend, the one where I get personal about who I am.

I share Marc's worries about placing Obama on a pedestal. Idols always fall and then we hate them for their human fraility. I also worry that Obama will be held to a higher standard than he would be if he were racially identified based on his white heritage.

I don't think that Obama is perfect, nor do I want him to be. I think that it is his ability to be fully human, flaws and all, that attracts me to him.

I love the historic significance of Senator Obama's speech. When has any candidate for any political office ever dared actually talk about race, truthfully, especially the part about black anger and white resentment? I feel as if I've been waiting my entire life for this level of engagement about the racial divide.

I've spent a great part of my life moving back and forth between a black world and a white one, between my family life and my professional life. I suppose that it is no surprise that eventually my social and personal life merged the two worlds, but always at a cost. In my black world, there were questions about my blackness; in the white world, there were those who made it clear that they did not welcome my blackness. Many black people have the same experience, so I don't think of it as poor pitiful me.

I like being a black woman; I draw my strength from all the black women who have come before me and who surround me. Yet I also draw strength from friendships and relationships that I've had across color lines. I feel that I've learned a lot from multiple perspectives and that I'm better for it.

I think that I had so much trouble simply answering Marc's recent hypothetical about choosing to change race or gender because I honestly can't imagine myself as anyone other than a black female. After all, no other group has mastered the art of indignant head wagging to better effect.

The video has nothing to do with this post; I just love Jackie Wilson. Before Michael Jackson ever moonwalked, there was Jackie Wilson. He was a phenomenal performer.


Tags: , , , , ,

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote you a long email back to your last and then it got so layered that I just decided to put it in "mail waiting to be sent"
I think I'll confine my observations to:
1) there is an white inverse to your tendency to feel you "represent."  That is the fear of being perceived as racist, just because we're white.  We're also afraid of being stereotyped, less by society as a whole than by black people. Afraid of being thought of a uncool, nonmusical, uptight, thinking ourselves superior.  
In both the black and white cases, there's a resistance to being somehow defined by our skin color.
I know, as a gay man, I identify with everything you say. I don't mind my gayness being one of the adjectives that describes me, but I don't want it--or any sterotypical associations with it--to define me before you get to know me.  
2) I wonder if Obama's speech is prompting exchanges just like this all over.

Anonymous said...

As you know from my private blog I tread this fine line constantly, because I want people to see me Yasmin and not the perception, however when people see in the media that a black person has done something criminal suddenly "I'm one of them" it's not even a concious move on their part but it's there the impreceptable change in manner, I too tend not to use West Indian slang except with family because when done with my peers especially in the work place it scares them..lol.
I have often been told how well spoken I am, which is annoying to say the least, I had a boss who actually told me that letters and reports that I had written were done in VERY good English, and that I must have had a good education, I successfully brought him to task on that, my point being if I had said the same to him he would have taken it as his due.

Thanks and excellent post as usual.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

I started reading this & then I thought, what do I THINK when I see an alert for you?  Smart, funny, compassionate woman who disagrees with me(at times), without being a zealot about it. Someone who does see one, two & even three sides(everyone likes to think they are this way. they are not). I don't hear about a black incident, or a lawyer incident, or a ex school teacher incident & think about anyone but the person it is in reference to.

Are you reluctant to let out your sister-girl voice?  Well, I think most people have difficulty obliterating certain emotional/life scars/issues, but we work on it bit by bit.

What I NEVER see you as is choreographed. That is a blessing. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I have only recently discovered your journal ,but my I enjoy it ,giving me a very different perspective on many things ,and lots to think about for which I thank you ,...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I would guess that ALL of these personas make up the entirety of who you are.  Your "coat of many colors."  Then again, I only really know your public self.

I agree w/ Mary that you're not choreographed.

Anonymous said...

Marc stole most of my reply or thoughts but I will try to express some of my own.
Between your journal and Obama speech yesterday I have certainly changed, for the better, my thoughts about race, racism and bigotry. Your statement that you fell that you are representing the African American race most of the time, really struck me. I think I understand what you are saying and how African American I have know must have felt when they had dealing with me and/or other whites.  As an old white male I certainly never felt I was representing my race.
I was raised in the 30's by what I later found out were very bigoted parents, bless their souls. I long ago swore I would not raise my children that way and I know I was successful since they now call me if I ever get even a little out of line. I am proud to say my grandchildren are being raised in the same manner and I would they will live in a much better world as a result. That generation may be the one to finally eliminate racism entirely.
Thanks again for your journal and thoughts. I wish I could also thank Obama for his speech. We as white American need to hear, from African American, more about their thoughts and feelings so we can better understand each other.
Bill

I have  read and enjoyed your journal for a while and seldom comment but could not pass up this one without a reply.

Anonymous said...

Ah Sheria, as always you are a breathe of fresh air. I'm still chuckling at the proud black woman who has the indignant head wagging going on. You remind me of a friend I had in high school, she was as outspoken and brilliant as you are. I've had my own pow wows going on in recent weeks (winks)....but you never, ever fail to bring a smile to me. Thank you for being you. (Hugs) Indigo

On a side note I was looking up Soulfood tonight (the reasoning will be apparent soon enough...) and I came across a singer by the name of Leela James. When I read the words to her song (of all things called) Soul Food, it brought back memories of that deep south singing and of course the wonderous food. If you haven't heard of her I hope you look her up. I truly do think you would enjoy her. (Hugs) Indy

Anonymous said...

Oh Sheria, you are a breath of fresh air.  Your posts always make me think.  Well written as always and though provoking.  Now as for jackie wilson....love, love, LOVE it!  My ipod is full of motown hits and they help get me through what can sometimes be a boring day full of menial tasks.
love,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This got me thinking as well Sheria.  It never really occured to me that when talking to my friends who're black, they might feel responsible for their entire race when speaking.  Seems an incredibly unfair burden, undeserved yet to be frank, it's real and should be addressed.  I wish we could see the person instead of the pigment, and I notice I find it easier to "see" (relate to) a person who's happy in their own skin.  There's no distraction about how self-conscious they might feel, for whatever reason.  Very very good point you raised here!  CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

Another thoughtful post...you're making ME think! Stop that! <grin>

First, I got a kick out of knowing that Obama used to smoke, and still struggles a bit with it. How human is that?

Second, I don't think any of us who are of white can really understand the different roles you have to play--I can comprehend it, through what you wrote, but I don't know what it's like to be in that situation. It shouldn't be taboo to discuss these things, but I think so many people are worried about being misunderstood, or being politically incorrect, or offending with their words, that they are afraid to discuss.

I'm in healthcare, and I've worked with quite a few blacks over the years. I can truthfully say that I didn't like all of them. Most I've liked very much, but there were some that I really didn't care for. It had nothing to do with the fact that they were black, it was just that I didn't care for their personalities. That seems to me to be the normal way of things, but I suppose I'm naive.

Beth
http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

Anonymous said...

Hugs Missed U 'Happy Easter "  

love your hair :) hopefully I can get on here tonight and catch up on everything I missed  I havent visited your journal in a bit because I work and come home and take care of everyone  not enough time  for me to sit and be on here Miss you
love jo

Anonymous said...

As always, your words are very thought provoking, Sheria. I enjoy your posts. I haven't been getting my alerts so I have some catching up to do. Then, I'm going to check out the video! :-)

Have a great weekend!

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

I must stop reading your entries when I am bleary eyed and it's early in the morning. I have read this and ALL the comments. So, let's just see me cock this up big time now ok? (grins)

I think I may have been lucky to see some of the other side of you, in your mails you send me and I send you (keep it up, I love em).
I can totaly understand where you are coming from when you feel you represent ALL Black people. I feel the same about Gays too, but that doesn't stop me from disliking some Gay people and I am sure you feel the same way about some Black people as well.

You write from the heart and not from a text book. Marc seems to have opened a can of worms in your head, but he does tend to be a little heavy sometimes and over analiticle (appaling spelling but's its just 7am). Marc is like a personal trainer, he excersises your brain!

Now for Obama. I have taken great interest in this election, because you have both a black candidate and a woman. I personaly think that America is not ready for either one. Harsh as it may seem but religion is slowly seeping inot your politics and government and that is a BAD thing and it will become a game of whom can be the most religious.
If either Hilary or Obama do get into the White house one will be scrutinised because they are black, the other becuase they are a woman. That pedestal is there waiting, but let's see how long before it falls.
Happy Easter......Gaz xx