Sunday, February 17, 2008

Boats Against the Current

I hesitated to make this post for fear that I would come across as selfish. I am always dealing with my worry that I will offend and trying to balance it out with my need to say what's on my mind. Saying what's on my mind appears to be winning more and more often as I grow older. There are some really good things about aging.

A friend sent me a NY Times article today about students' reaction to reading The Great Gatsby. He felt that the kids didn't really get it and wrongly viewed Jay Gatsby as an inspirational character, far from Fitzgerald's intent. We're both former English teachers and these types of discussions fascinate us. I agreed with him that Fitzgerald didn't create a figure of inspiration in the character of Gatsby, the poor farm boy who achieved the success that he thought would bring him love and happiness, and didn't. What I didn't agree with him on was his analysis of the comments from the young students. I didn't view them as seeing Gatsby as inspirational but aspirational. They got it that Gatsby's obsession with material success and all its trappings ultimately destroyed him, but they still aspired to achieve their own version of the American dream. I think that believing in possibilities is the essence of youth.

The interchange with my friend got me to thinking about our generation and why so many of us wear a mantle of misery and self-absorption. I look at my parents' generation and they don't take Paxil. I'm not against medications for clincal depression, but when I look at my parents and their contemporaries, it doesn't appear that their generation is as beset with depression, anxiety, and other emotional and psychological disorders as my own. At any given gathering of baby boomers, there are some of us who regularly take antidepressants and various other mood altering prescription medications (a few non-prescritption as well, but we won't talk about that today).

Maybe we chase after happiness too much. I've read a few articles recently suggesting that our pursuit of happiness is what's making us unhappy. I sort of buy that. I think that to appreciate happiness, you have to be willing to experience unhappiness. I also think that you have to be bold enough to unencumber yourself of the things that weigh you down and sap your joy. That's where the selfish stuff comes up.

One of the most difficult challenges is getting rid of the things and/or people in our lives that are sucking the life out of us. Our baby boomer generation was raised to believe that responsibility was our god; suffering and misery are the altars upon which we worship; and self interest is not only selfish, it's the pursuit of evil. What a load of crap, but most of us succumbed to it. I think that our generation is beset by angst because we have convinced ourselves that it is an inevitability to be unhappy.

I'm not pollyannaish enough to believe that happiness, as in joy every day, is possible. But I do believe that a sense of well being and contentment is doable, making some sense of your life so that discontent and sadness are passing stages. You find some space within that gives you what you need to survive unhappiness because it doesn't define your life; it's just a part of living. I don't think that it is the pursuit of a goal and disappoint upon achieving it that destroys us; I think that it is looking for meaning and fulfillment outside of ourselves that turns it all to ashes. We become swept up in our sense of responsibility to work, family, friends, to the extent that we feel as if we are like the speaker in Stevie Smith's poem, "not waving, but drowning."

I'm not certain what comes after this life, but I don't think that this is a dress rehearsal. Like the commercial says, we have to grab all the gusto that we can in this round. I think that means that we can't settle and resign ourselves to lives of "quiet desperation." We have to give ourselves permission to bestow upon ourselves the same care and kindness that we extend to others, to indulge in a bit of selfishness, and we have to refuse to judge ourselves as lacking for doing so.

A poem by Stevie Smith: Not Waving But Drowning

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if the pursuit (of happiness) is the goal, not necessarily the having it all the time. I agree... we couldn't possibly be happy every day. I mean, just when I'm feeling happy, I feel guilty about others in the world who are not healthy, safe, and fed. I take a hot shower, and I think about places in the world where people have never had a hot shower, and hygiene is a major health issue. I drink a bottle of cold, clean water on my way to school, and the thought hits me that there are entire villages in Africa where water is scarce, and where there is water, it isn't potable. I eat my lunch at school, and am saddened when I remember the children in Zimbabwe who get one meal a day, and are grateful when they get it. Falling asleep in my comfortable bed, I am reminded of homeless people in our own country who don't have a mattress to lay on, nor a pillow for their head. Cardboard and newspapers are their blankets. When I have a head-ache, I pop two Tylenols for relief and I feel a twinge remembering the suffering of the sick in Third World countries. How can I be happy? These are the thoughts I have to let go, but they're always there when I look outside of myself. I think true happiness is a fantasy. I laugh, I am amused, I experience joyful moments every day, but happy? I could never be satisfied with my own happiness knowing what I know about the people of the World. I just do what I can to help relieve the suffering for a few. I've been reading the UN Millenium Developmental Goals (there are eight), and that's what I'm talking about. I know this isn't where you were going with your entry, but it was on my mind when I read it. The poem sadly has a ring of truth to it. BTW, I don't think you are selfish! bea

Anonymous said...

I'm a great believer in saying whats on your mind, but I agree it becomes easier as we get older, your comment on the "Great Gatsby were spot on, it seems that we live in a world where material success is what we strive for, but saying that it comes with wanting everything at once, I was always taught to believe that if you work hard you will acheive your goals. It's true to say that in most social groups people seem to be taking medication of some sort or other, but does that really treat what ails them, to be honest you can't buy happiness, you have to find that peace from within but don't ask me how, though it feels good to sometimes be selfish, and to celebrate yourself.
Great poem.

Take care
Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

I had almost forgotten that poem! I remember reading it a long time ago and now that I am older, I can relate to it. Being mother/caregiver of a child with multiple disabilities, I can say that her poem describes how I feel on many a day. But, I'll save all that for my own journal. ;-)

I  haven't thought about the fact that our generation is the antidepressant generation, but it does seem to be! I remember as a child, the adults were less stressed than we are now. What is that all about? Has society placed more pressure on us? Have we placed it upon ourselves? Hmmm .... you've given us all something to think about. I am glad you decided to go ahead and post it.

As a side note: I hope you're doing well. I've been away from j-land for a while and I haven't been able to catch up yet.

take care!

Anonymous said...

I believe in an after life, as you know and in all the goodness that is to come, but I also believe that man was created so that he might have joy, which is a basic tenant of my faith and I try to wring as much joy out of each day that I can, in both big and small ways.  It's the way I live my life and I feel so very blessed because of it.
Great post as usual Sheria!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

"I think that our generation is beset by angst because we have convinced ourselves that it is an inevitability to be unhappy"  Really?  I think our (American, at least) generation is beset by angst because they believe they are entitled to happiness, and can't accept it when they don't get it. They are convinced everybody else is happy but them, and rail at not getting what is their due. (Hope you saw 60 minutes on happiness in Denmark last night.)
Though I certainly agree that life is not a dress rehearsal and too many people treat it as such. I believe serenity should be the goal, and the serenity prayer is a great blueprint for living. But when I find joy, it's through concious contact with God, and that comes through living in the present. Not 10 minutes or 10 months from now, nor 10 minutes or 10 months ago, but right now.  IT DOES MATTER WHAT"S GOING ON, JUST THAT I AM IN THE MOMENT EXPERIENCING IT. The good, the bad, the ugly - there's God in all of it.
And right now I have no time to comment more on an entry that to could get me going for hours! Damn you Sheria! You had to write this when I was on vacation!

Anonymous said...

This is my 5th and final time of trying to get inot your blog to leave a comment and it's gone clean out of my mind. Urghhhhh
Gaz x

Anonymous said...

I've actually come across too many people who seem to feel self interest is their God.  They'd never state it that way, but their actions seem to often show it clear as day(at least I interp it that way). I think a certain level of self interest is necessary, but not when human values are suspended for gain or when a heightened sensitivity to wants turn them into what the person begins to believe are NEEDS.  

Also, I feel a lot depends on ones definition of happy. My parents & their friends appreciated fresh air & sunshine, were more substance than show & didn't act like every problem was hazardous duty in Vietnam. They didn't always have a car, dad had a job that worked him too hard & paid him too little & Mom was very ill.  They were capable of finding more moments of joy & peace than many people with much MORE of what is considered success today.

There is a certain amount of peace & contentment I get from meditating each morning that would never come from singing It's All About The Benamins, as someone on a bus with me once did before telling me his life sucked(I didn't ask, btw ;-0).

And, you don't hit me as particularly selfish & I read you because you do speak your mind.  I like that. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

This entry inspires me to read The Great Gatsby. I also enjoyed it for the points you made.

Anonymous said...

I read something recently that stated that those that are the happiest overall occasionally experience sad moments. I'm not sure what the exact quote is (or who said it), but it's something to the effect of in order to reach the mountaintop, we have to walk through the valley. Perhaps we find more happiness in how we deal with sad times, or in finding that we have loved ones to help us through those times.

I have to agree with another commenter, though, who said that many have a sense of entitlement, and believe they have the RIGHT to be happy. As U.S. citizens, we are guaranteed merely the right to the pursuit of happiness, which leads me to believe that it is entirely up to us, including how we define happiness. As we get older, our definition changes, and I think we come to realize that true happiness has very little to do with possessions.

Thanks for a great post.
Beth

Anonymous said...

I think in this day and age quite a few of us are not unlike Jay Gatsby, in the thinking material posessions define us. Other than being content with are standing in life the American dream has turned into a free for all to keep up with the Jones. For me it wasn't about happiness, rather the pursuit of normalcy that I thought defined a home. I spent the majority of my life in a very monatonious existance. Apparently I'm not the only one because that has become a statement of my generation....Afraid to feel, pursue anything out of context whether it be happiness, or dealing with sorrow and pain. That is the definition of the drug manic generation, we are "afraid to feel". Afraid our joy is fleeting, afraid to hurt because our happiness is fleeting.....

In the end we do ourselves far more damage than if we allowed ourselves to just be....That is what our parents had, they accepted hardship and understood enough to enjoy what they had, while they had it. It was enough to just be.....(Hugs) Indigo
http://journals.aol.com/rdautumnsage/ravens-lament/

Anonymous said...

As usual I enjoyed your provocative thoughts and also the poem.  I was just thinking this morning that perhaps everything comes to a standstill in old age, so we have to acknowledge that fact, stop our world and get off, and then suddenly things were flowing again, people were communicating, and I felt alive again.  Not ready to stop. I do think the important thing is to keep thinking which you do, because that is the only way to work through the problems and keep life going to my mind.  Keep connecting with the people with your thinking! That always picks me up.  Gerry http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/  

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do rememebr being indoctrinated with the concept of hard work bringing all I could ever want.  It never bespoke of those things I would NEED eventually, like a solid basis of belief in myself and my ethics, i.e. nothing material.  While we boomers chase after the elusive happiness, we waste time that could've been spent in BEING happy.  Doesn't take much, I'd say, and thinking outside the box is always worth it.  Thanks Indy, as usual I enjoyed your thoughts.   CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/