Sunday, February 10, 2008

We

My blogami, Marc, sent me an article today by humorist/journalist Joel Stein of the L.A. Times, entitled, He's Got Obamaphilia. It's a great title and it made me laugh. The catchline below the title reads: "It's embarrassing to be among the fanatics of a relatively mainstream presidential candidate." The satirical gist of the article is summed up in the lead paragraph (they teach you to do that in journalism school.)
You are embarrassing yourselves. With your "Yes We Can" music video, your "Fired Up, Ready to Go" song, your endless chatter about how he's the first one to inspire you, to make you really feel something -- it's as if you're tacking photos of Barack Obama to your locker, secretly slipping him little notes that read, "Do you like me? Check yes or no." Some of you even cry at his speeches. If I were Obama, and you voted for me, I would so never call you again.

Stein goes on to admit that he has been infected with Obamamania, going so far as to write, in what Marc pointed out is the best line of the piece, "I want the man to hope all over me." Mr. Stein's humorous essay gave me quite a few giggles; he's a witty journalist and very funny. However, as well done humor often does, he made me think about the serious matter underlying his essay.

As I read news and blogs across the Internet, I encounter those who think that we (Obama supporters) have lost site of the man and become enamored of the movement, in other words we are infected with Obamamania to the extent that we are embarrassing ourselves in succumbing to hope that Barack Obama can make a difference.

I don't see anything embarrassing or naive about viewing Obama as a living symbol of the possibility of a government that actually focuses on meeting the needs of the people. Besides, Obama doesn't believe that he can change the world; he believes that we can change the world. There is a big difference.

The video features Sam Cooke singing "A Change Is Gonna Come." I am so addicted to YouTube.

 


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love this song, and it somes up the possibility of changes to come in the US


Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

I love You tube too.  I get stuck on there for hours or would do if I let myself!  Very potent and inspiring words here this morning Sheria, and by the way I love your new picture!  You remind me so much of Maya Angelou you know.  You are a special woman with a beautiful message to share.  I love that about you!  Have a wonderful week!
love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

As you know I am over here in the Uk so really shoud not be commenting on what I really know little about and that is US politics..however I can say that having read Obama's book. He sounds a really "good" man and would be having my vote for sure.  Sybil x

Anonymous said...

Joel Stein writes a column for Time, and he's one of my favorites!

I'm also perplexed by those who say that Obama is "all talk," and that you "can't run a country on hope." I think they're missing the message, which you summed up perfectly: he's making us believe that WE can make a change. Maybe a little naivete is what we need in our current state of cynicism. I don't see anything wrong with hoping and striving for a better world. Isn't that what we're supposed to do?

Beth

Anonymous said...

Correction: It's not Joel Stein that has a column in Time, it's Joe Klein. My mistake!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I truly believe this country could use some hope, after this past defunct presidency. Most of us still have the war howling at our windows and doors, wanting it to end before our loved ones are another number in this wars assessment of damage and lives. So if the message is hope , why wouldn't we want to grasp for that small thread...(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

no one should ever need be embarrassed for believing and having hope in someone and our country.  without hope....dreams....we perish.  there were some powerful images on the video...very moving, but i found those of the children especially touching.  i really liked what marc did with your picture, and see why you liked it so.  :)  happy valentine's day, my friend....belated as it is. :)
gina

Anonymous said...

I have even got hooked on Mr Obama, he reminds me of the young Tony Blair before he became George Dublya's lap dog.
I hope Obama doesnt change when he gets inot power. Notice I say when, not if?
Gaz ;-)

Anonymous said...

I like this song, too. I am going to post your link on my family website for my niece Marina especially who comes on there all the time, so she can come and look at these songs in the setting of your blog and read what you have to say. I admire Marina so much who fell in love with a handsome black football player in college and despite her father's upset chose him as her mate and the father of her two boys.  I admire how loyal she is and what a good wife she has made him as he floundered around for a while trying to find a way to make money after his plans to play pro football failed to materialize  Their sons are great athletes and Marina is right out there with George rooting them on, playing with them, supporting their games, as she is very athletic also.  These boys are going to be something else!  Gerry