Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Rendezvous Among Friends

Yesterday was a perfect day.  The daffodils waved and bowed in the breeze in homage to the sun; the sky shimmered a deep shade of blue; and I met two friends who were both old and new.

Bea (Wanderer) was one of the first people to welcome me to J-land when I began this journal in September 2006.  She left me such encouraging comments that I was immediately drawn to her personailty.  Bea is as sunny as any daffodil I've ever seen.  Upon visiting her journal, it was confirmed that she is indeed a woman of heart, mind, and soul. I met Caroline (A New Adventure) through Bea.  Thoughtful, warm, and with a delightful sense of humor, I quickly added her journal to my alerts.

Both of these women are dedicated teachers and I think that the entire crisis in public education could be resolved if we could clone them.  Their faces light up when they talk about their classrooms.  Their students are so fortunate to have such intelligent, caring, and highly skilled teachers.

I was delayed by traffic on I-40 and called Bea from the road to tell her that I was running late.  Bea said that she and Caroline were further out than I was.  I decided to to take a roundabout route to the restaurant so as to take a nostalgic look at the apartment building that I lived in for fourteen years in Chapel Hill, NC.  Of course, they arrived at the restaurant before I did!  Bea had told me that she would be wearing purple and black.  When I entered the restaurant, I noticed a petite woman wearing a lovely purple shawl and a stylish black plants outfit but I couldn't see her face.  Thinking that I had arrived first, I waited.  But when she turned and I saw the friendly face, the bright smiling eyes, I knew that it had to be Bea. Then I noticed Caroline beaming beside her and I knew that I had found my party!  Bea and Caroline and I exchanged hugs all around and then we were seated.

I had suggested that we have lunch at Mama Dips, a Chapel Hill, NC restaurant known for down home southern cooking. I had sent Caroline and Bea a review of the restaurant that included pictures of some of the food.  Naturally, we wanted our own pictures of the food, and Caroline whipped out her camera and did the honors.  Check out her journal for pictures of our delicious luncheon dishes. I've borrowed my favorite to post here; the three of us sharing a dessert of peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream.

We chatted nonstop for nearly three hours about everything and nothing, on topics ranging from the serious to the silly.  We laughed a lot and even giggled.  We further commemorated the visit with pictures taken outside next to the restaurant sign. 

Thank you and hugs to my friends Bea and Caroline for a wonderful afternoon.  I look forward to a future rendezvous!

P. S. Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous post about the poetry contest.  A lot of people have asked if it's okay to vote more than once.  Yes, but you may only vote once a day.  So if you vote on Monday, you can't vote again until Tuesday.  Please  vote as many times as the site will allow you to do so.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

again, I can't read enough about our "date" yesterday. I smiled during your entire entry, reliving it. It was nice to read how you discovered us at the restaurant. I do believe there will be more rendezvous... and Jackie said it in my journal, that things will be different now that we've met. I think she is right. Now I have a voice and a face to match your name, and the sound of your laughter, and Caroline's voice, and the image of the three of us laughing and encouraging each other to tell a little more. I'd like to add that I loved your hair... what do you call that? I forgot to mention that little detail. It is the reason I did not at first know it was you! about the voting on the poem.. I tried to vote more than once, and it said that I had already voted once today, so I think we can only vote once a day. When does the contest end? bea

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you three were able to meet and enjoy such a delightful day. I did vote for you and will try to remember to vote again tomorrow. Paula

Anonymous said...

Sheria - I had a wonderful time yesterday!  I also loved re-reading the experience which helped to re-live it.  Yes, the day was perfect, the company was perfect and I look forward to a re-run someday soon! ~  Caroline  ~
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure

Anonymous said...

how wonderful!  chapel hill.....in tennessee?
gina

Anonymous said...

Sounds a wonderful day.  It's always fun to meet new friends and spend time in their company!  How ever did you get music to play on your page?  I have been trying to do it for months and haven't been able to figure it out.  I need lessons!  Have a great day!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with great company.  You can never have too many good friends.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

you guys had a lot of fun the peach cobblers looks good, it's great to make new friends, also I voted for you twice lol
take care
hugs
yasmin

Anonymous said...

Hi sheria ,
:) so nice to read that you had a nice time you look great and your j-land friends look so sweet, happy you had a good time btw that peach cobbler looks yummy wish I was there you guys looked like you had fun
Huggs jo

Anonymous said...

Oh what a delightful event, the meeting of some journalists.  I love the pic.  And you really reported it well.  We have missed you since you had to returned to work.  Us retirees are shocked when someone lets work interfere with their journaliing.  Does remind us of days past.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

I tried to read your blog, but was driven away by the awful song!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

Anonymous said...

Hello Aimer,

I stumbled across your blog through Val's Dare to think blog and I know I am late but I guess late is better than never so......... ( with big open arms) WELCOME TO J LAND!!!!  ^_^


Ps That is so cool that you met people from Jland out in real life and you had a good time thats so cool. ^_^

Just thought I would stop by and comment

Take Care
Christopher in Texas !!! :0)


http://journals.aol.com/cmarlow330/ChristophersJournal/