Saturday, February 24, 2007

Greed, pure greed

This is a sorry excuse for a journal entry.  It's a repeat of an email that I sent out to family and friends.  I promise to write a proper entry soon about my lovely lunch with Bea and Caroline, but I have more pressing things on my brain at the moment.
 
I need your help. I need you to help me win a prize of $1,000. Here's the deal, there is a monthly prize of $1,000 and a daily prize of an ipod.  I don't care about the ipod, but I'd love to win the $1,000 March prize.  All you have to do is follow the link and rate my poem. 
 
I didn't select which poem to feature.  The poem is one that was published in an anthology released via poetry.com and it selected that poem to be in this rather silly competition.  The link will take you to my poem and I expect you to give it a rating of 10. (Pretty please! It doesn't matter whether you like the poem or not, this is for the money.) Oh, and please send the link to other people that you know and tell them to rate my poem (highly). I really want the $1,000.
 
Friends, Family, CoWorkers, and Associates please 'Rate My Poem' by going here: http://www.poetry.com/voteforme/poemvote1.asp?PID=5926957
 
Thank you,
Sheria
 
P.S. No, I do not plan to share the prize but I will think of each of you very fondly if I win.  No, this is not a scam.  Poetry.com runs this contest every year and I've never bothered to beg people to rate my poem before.  I usually forget to do so until it is too late to possibly win!  No, it's not really about the quality of the poetry; it's about who has the most thoughtful, caring, helpful friends that are willing to go to the website and rate the poem over and over again.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you vote more than once?
~Terry

Anonymous said...

Excellent question!  I think that you may vote as many times as you like.  This is sort of like the American Idol Poetry competition except that you don't have to pay a fee to vote!--Sheria

Anonymous said...

I have voted for you I hpe you win the $1000 and spend it frivoulously

hugs

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

My vote's been cast
actually liked the write
Surely the money won't last
I rated it ten to make it right.

Good luck
Spencer

Anonymous said...

That's ok, to ask your friends to vote for you. Sometimes we all get desperate for money. Good luck! I voted for you. Oh by the way, this is the first time to your journal, we have a mutual J-land, friend, "Bea"! Isn't she a sweety. Was so glad you all got to meet. I know you had to have had alot of fun.
Liz in Va.
http://journals.aol.com/bethjunebug/Bethjunebug

Anonymous said...

lol  ok, there's no way i can ignore this plea....i'm going over to vote.  hope you win.  ;)
gina

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheria: I found your journal thru Bea & Caroline and just wanted to say hi! It sounds like you three had a wonderful lunch yesterday. I hope you are enjoying your day!!
Maria

Anonymous said...

I went and voted, although it was probably too late to do any good because of the time difference.  Nice poem though!  I gave yo 10 out of 10. Can't wait to hear about your lunch with the ladies!  What fun!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I rated it a ten because 1) you asked for it, but also 20 because I think it rated a ten without the plea. I remember the Handmaid's story. It was Hagar, wasn't it? For Sarah... is that the handmaid you speak of here? or even the movie, with Meryl streep... the Handmaid's tale? I think. The poem is simple, yet filled with a seething emotion of distaste and submissiveness. The last two lines say it all.  bea

Anonymous said...

Going that way right now. I like to play poetry in motion every day. Paula

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that Bea is absolutely on target about my poem, it is in reference to the blical story of Hagar, handmaiden to Sarah.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

  Hmm, poetry.com, huh? Don't hold your breath about the $1000. I suspect they never award it. Ever. To anyone. But, you're guaranteed to get tons of mail from them offering to publish your poem in one of their fine anthologies, which they would be happy to sell you for $49.95. They'll also be happy to give you preferred placement, and a customized bio...for a small extra fee. Plus, you're sure to be selected as a "semi-finalist" in their annual poetry contest, and be invited to read your poem at their annual convention, which you can attend for only $595.00, not including accomodation. Don't forget the beautiful plaque and medallion you will receive.
  Sorry to be so cynical, Sheria, but you need to do some research about poetry.com. You might start at my poetry blog, starting here: http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/journal4/entries/2005/01/07/poetry-dot-com-exposed/413 and moving forward. I have written a good ten entries or so about those scam artists. From there you might try Googling "poetry.com +scam" for more information.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/