Sunday, February 4, 2007

I'm Alive and Well

I have been back at work full time for two weeks.  I was on sabbatical for nearly six months.  I have discovered some interesting things about myself.  (Maybe not interesting to anyone else but I'm fascinated.)

I was born to be a lady of leisure.  Clearly there was some mix-up at birth and I was intended for a wealthy family.  I have wealthy family sensibilities.  If there is a wealthy family out there missing an adult child, contact me.

I like my job, but I like having my days to do exactly as I please better.  My mother has always said that she can't understand how anyone can do nothing all day.  She's a very busy lady even though she's retired.  Five days a week, she's up and at the mall before 8:00 am to walk three miles with her walking group.  She maintains a lovely flower garden, grows beautiful roses in her own yard, and is a member of the Wilson Rose Society which necessitates that she take care of her assigned rose bushes in the beautiful rose garden located at the Wilson Public Library.  In addition, she is always cleaning something. 

I call my little respite a sabbatical but the truth is that my employer of nearly six years and I had a disagreement about the direction that my job was taking.  I would tell you all about it but in exchange for a separation settlement, I agreed not to discuss the details.  It's killing me to keep my big mouth shut but the financial remuneration allowed me to pretend that I was a lady of leisure for six months.

Just in case my mother reads this someday, I did not simply sit around all day for six months.  I made some rules--no daytime television viewing.  Okay, that's only one rule, but it's a big one.  In six months, I only watched part of one Jerry Springer show and that was my brother-in-law's fault.  He called and insisted that I turn on the television.  I don't recall the exact topic that day but I feel pretty certain that it involved bizarre sexual interactions, some partial nudity, crazed family members, and Rusty having to restrain someone.

Instead of watching trash television, I began this journal and began writing a book.  I also learned a bit about using HTML code and created a web page for my poetry.  I've discovered that I do have the discipline to write a book.  It's not finished but it will be by the end of this year.  I'm a rather slow writer and I constantly revise.  The book is a memoir about growing up black and southern, partly humorous and partly serious.

I've also discovered that it is a lot easier to write when you have endless time on your hands.  I've had to work on being much more disciplined about setting aside writing time now that I am employed full time.  I suggested to a good friend of mine that he could support me while I was finishing my book.  He laughed at me.  I think that he doesn't see the merit of my suggestion.  So for now, I'll continue working until my real family (the wealthy one) discovers that I am alive and well in Raleigh, North Carolina.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you find your wealthy family soon. Reminds me of my birthday last summer. It was a milestone one so my daughters took me to a spa/bed and breakfast type place. When I got home I told everyone I want to be a rich lady when I grow up. Your Mom sounds like an interesting lady. Hope your week-end was nice. Paula

Anonymous said...

Sheria, I didn't know you had a poetry website... I just visited it and I am impressed! You are a poet. And you are humorous as well... I was a stay at home mom for 13 years, and loved every minute of it. I volunteered like crazy. And I discovered that I loved to write during that time as well. I discovered myself through those writings, and had it not been for what I escavated during that "down" time, I probably would never have entered teaching. I met God during those introspective years, and I learned to dance with Him. I learned to trust Him and follow Him. I would love to have a Sabbatical. I think a person does require some lengthy down time, time to be still, to reflect, to peel back the layers, time to step back from the chaos of life so that one can get down into the depths of who they are, to where the furnace of their heart burns. Sounds like you had such an opportunity, and you did not waste your time! I am so looking forward to meeting you at the end of this month. Bea

http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/
http://www.aimpages.com/bgilmore725/profile.html

Anonymous said...

Sheria my twin given away at birth <g> I know our family will come find us someday, until then we do what we can to live and blend in among the wealthy impaired.  <wink>
I would love to read your book - and when you come to Philly on your first book signing, I am going to be at the front of the line bragging about how "I knew you when..".  :o)
Stacy

Anonymous said...

how exciting that you are writing a book.  i love what i read of yours.  i'm sure the book will be wonderful.  i bet it was hard to start back to work after being off for 6 months!  
gina

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to buy your book! The story sounds amazing. I am one of those folks who could do nothing all day,lol. I think rest is good for the mind and body. I dont get much of it and I feel like I am always fighting to get a breather. How much longer do you think it will be before your finished? ~Raven

Anonymous said...

Oh Sheria, we are so alike!  Are you sure we're not sisters!  I do hope that you get that book finished, and I, for one, will be first in line to read it!  
Have a wonderful day!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I agree... I was meant to be a lady of leisure. My significant other, however, feels that since I am in my "prime earning capacity" right now that I should continue to be gainfully employed. Great. I'll work then. And it's not that I dislike working... honestly... I love my job... I just hate having to be somewhere at the same time every stinking day. And I LOVE day time television! But even when I was a SAHM, I rarely stayed at home.. I visited friends and taught mommy bible studies and took the kids to the park and kept my friends' kids when they were too sick to go to school and my friends had to go to work. I was USEFUL at home. Sorry you had to get out there and work for a living. *sigh* Good luck with the whole working thing.
*hugs*
heather

Anonymous said...

Sheria,
I am with you........I wish I would hit the fantasy 5 so i could take a few years off. I would go back to school. Bam

Anonymous said...

I too am a frustrated lady of leisure, but alas still have to work for a living,lol getting back to work ishard but you'll soon get into the swing of it until your real family turns up lol
Take care

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

Wow Sheria!  I just read your poems.  First a journal, then an AIM page, now a poetry site.  And you're a lawyer to top it off.  Must be nice to be able to do all that.
Congratulations,
Deb

Anonymous said...

Well Sheria,
You have used your time well. Hope you are enjoying being back at work. I am looking forward to reading your book one day. I hope you will finish it. I have had to put my book writing on hold for a while. I have a lot of studying to do. But I will keep picking away at it slowly over time. I am a lot slower at writing than you are!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/20062007-journal-index/

Anonymous said...

Hmm, well I know how working vs. non working goes.  My nurse sister who was addicted to work and could not stop used to say that she knew I wanted to be sick so I would have the leisure to write.  I thought that chronic fatigue syndrome worked in my favor because I wrote when I worked.  I simply could not give up writing any more than breathing so I tended to get a little over tired.  I don't really recommend illness as a way to quit because you might miscalculate and end up going too far n the wrong direction! Anyway, I hope you will be able to get back to us now and then.  And work does tend to stimulate different kinds of thinking that is nice to hear about, too.  Work fuels the writing, too!   Gerry

Anonymous said...

I hereby express my intent to file a Notice of Motion (returnable "anytime") To Show Cause why people with talent should have to squander their creative time strapped to the machine of Making a Living.  If you can say you have a book in you, you most probably do and should be on it every spare second in my opinion.  Poetry, which I love and write, is music, but someone who can write a book?  My attached Afidavit to my Motion will explain why those persons must be allowed the time and paucity of monetary worry to do so.  The foregoing statements made by me are true to my knowledge, information and belief, etc. lol couldn't resist,  xoxo CATHY

Anonymous said...

I hope that your readjustment back to the officially-paid working world isn't too hard:)   A coworker of mine once sighed, "Work sure gets in the way of life."   Ah, but paying ones bills and at least a smidgen of ones dreams, is helpful.   Just takes up so much daggone time!   Is this at least a job you're enjoying???   I look forward to your poetry:)  AND, your eventual book. -- Robin

Anonymous said...

I hope I enjoy your book,as much as I enjoy your journal

Anonymous said...

I know I like having my days to do exactly what I feel like. So much so, I quit a full time job for someone else, started my own business, and now call my own shots. It isn't easy, but I need my writing time, my play time, my whatever time and doing the whole 'real' job thing just didn't make it easy :o)
A Lady of leisure is something I think everyone needs to try out once in awhile and I'm glad you got to experience it!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Sheria,I LOL at this posting! You are amazingly like me!!!! Heehee maybe I too have a wealthy family missing me! Take care, and enjoy your job(try anyway :-)
Shauneen

Anonymous said...

So funny, Sheria! I know how you feel!!  Although I was working as a teacher assistant, it almost felt like I was at leisure because I had no grading, planning, etc. to do.  It has hit me hard now that I am back in the clasroom - but I am not complaining!  Looking forward to meeting you next weekend!  ~  Caroline  ~