Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Hearts, Cupid, and Nonsense

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In six minutes it will be Valentine's Day.  Ever wonder why there is no Valentine's Day Eve?  There' s Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, All Hallows Eve, why not an official declaration that February 13 is Valentine's Day Eve?  It could be set aside for all of the folks that don't have a true love.  We could get together, imbibe heartily and bemoan our single state.  Hallmark could design special Valentine's Day Eve cards with a sad looking cupid on the front clutching a broken heart.  I think that this idea has real potential as a money maker or perhaps it's just that it's midnight and I need sleep.

I read this article that suggested that you send yourself flowers if you don't have a valentine.  According to the author, you can perk yourself up by sending yourself a dozen roses at your office and smiling coyly when everyone asks you who sent them.  Have you priced a dozen roses lately?  Seems to me that for far less money you could send yourself a nice box of chocolate truffles.  You can't eat roses but a pound of fine chocolates will certainly take some of the sting out of not having a valentine.

On my way home from work today, I listened to the Michael Basden Show on the radio.  He invited single women to call in and tell the listening audience why they are happily single.  I was impressed by one caller who read a lovely poem entitled, "I Cleaned the Trash Out of My Life," dedicated to her ex. I think that the title was a metaphor. All of the callers read poems that they had written.  Evidently, women without men are very creative.

AOL Personals is running a series called Countdown to Love.  Tonight's topic is "Learn to be Focused."  I think that this is different from stalking. I've been focused on Denzel Washington for years but my sister says that even if I could find out his address that lurking outside his door is not a good idea.  According to the tips, in order to find love, one should get out more, tell your friends that you're looking for love, and engage in positive thinking.  So here goes, tomorrow I'm going to hang out somewhere all evening, you're all on notice that I'm looking, and I positively believe that Denzel Washington is just waiting for me to find out where he lives!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a night owl aren't you!  I'm one of the odd birds that doesn't really like to get cut flowers...I'd much rather have a plant that would last for more than just a few days and indeed years...but in all truth  I'd rather have a new cookbook!  (I know, I'm incorrigible!)
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I was noticing in the store today that a lovely bouquet of roses or flowers can be purchased for as little as $10.00.  I had a supervisor once that brought in a bouquet of flowers every Monday morning to adorn her desk for the week.  She was a single lady and always said it perked her up to have pretty flowers around. And that she didn't need a aman in her life to have flowers.  I've done it myself from time to time, but not every week. I didn't make quite as much money as she did.   Linda in Washington state    

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's day Sheria, Hugs, Bam

Anonymous said...

Thats an idea maybe you could design some Valentine's Day Eve cards. I'm glad I don't put too much stock in holidays as I have to go with John to buy mine. What fun is that? lol Paula

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sheria, you have definitely been out of sight but not out of mind.  I know that returning to work after time off definiately requires an adjusting perioid   Glad to hear from you.   I just decided to make a valentine's day shot with my new ring posed on roses.  (not real)   That's all  That's kind of a creative way to pass Valentine's.  Do cagreed to let me watch "Hidalgo" a horse movie for my present.  Ha.  Gerry
http;//journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-shadow-men/ I updated to Xe 7 anw everybody's print has shrunk to teeny.  Couldn't you just kind of keep that big print all the way through.  I practically had to get a manifying glass to read the rest of it.  In fact, I think I will borrow Doc's glass so I can read this teensy weensy stuff.  

Anonymous said...

Well, I wrote a little somein,somein on this same subject. Only yours is way funnier. What am I doing on this romantic holiday? Well, I am snowed in, I am putting on my comfy pj's and watching a Danzel Washington movie while eating chocolate. I bet his wife has a raider that goes off if any women is within 10 feet of him. I know I would.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sheria- you make me laugh! Thank you!! I think you are faaaar too clever and funny for the likes of Denzel!!!! Shauneen

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheria
Happy Valentines Day  
You make me smile , I did get for Valentines Day a Single rose after 23 years of being married I asked for the money Roses are expensive ,btw my daughter made the rose out of pink tissue papper and my hubby gave her 10 dallors for it ,
hugs
Jo

Anonymous said...

So I'm late getting out for V-day... hope yours was sweet! Yes, Denzel is hot. If I see him, I will mention your love for him.... <grin> bea

Anonymous said...



'Denzel Washington' the figment, would probably disappoint
you. Great loves, I like to believe, are those that on the surface
might look quite improbable: age difference, wrong gender taller,
race gulf beyond the usual, and so on. How curious it is, I've often
had reason to believe, it's easier to find love when one is already in a good relationship. All that means, I suppose, is that we're more attractive when self-confident. I have experienced (I'm old) that
the more one mingles with various races, as for example when it's almost impossible not to, as when one lives in myriad-races LA
(69 languages are spoken in one East LA neighborhood) the easier it is to see and read the 'beauty' in a different race. It's a lie to claim one
is color blind. For years I have been excoriated for being, various thugs have insisted, a racist. Yet, when I repeated over and over with reasoned, knowlegeable mini-essays on the subject of the 2005 movie CRASH, a virtual sermon on the pervasive, destructive fallout from racism, they rejected the movie, as well as my songs of praise,
sung over and over. I know that THEY are the racists. I'm in a happy interracial marriage of 15 years duration, with a fourth child due in about 10 days, God willing. (I beg for your prayers! for the baby's safe arrival!)

Another unusual condition: In great relationships love does
not come first. An exception might be when the couple has casually known each other for a long time, then suddenly 'wake-up.'

I believe you are smart to admit you might be interersted in
finding love.

You have a cozy personality; I'd bet you could find what you want.

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/






Anonymous said...

Hey Sheria-thanks for your comments! Hope all ok in the new job?? Take care,Shauneen

Anonymous said...

Oh, that weemee!!! I get it... I had seen it but hadn't realized that you had created it... it's you, Sheria. It's you!! bea