Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Last Words

I really need to get off this topic but in reading some of your comments, I feel that somewhere along the line my purpose and focus has been misunderstood!  I'll try and make this my final comment.  Please read all of my posts on race if you want to understand my thoughts on this topic.  I've never taken the position that individuals of any race need to run around offering apologies for societal misdeeds such as slavery or the holocaust or the trail of tears etc.  However, I am of the belief that healing cannot happen until there is an airing of truth, an honest acknowledgement of not only the past but the present. 

South Africa did an amazing thing when it ended apartheid. There was a national focus on truth and reconciliation.  People shared their stories, oppressed and oppressor, victim and victimizer, not to perpetuate revenge but to perpetuate healing.  The people that I know, myself included, have never asked that individuals apologize for past acts, but that this government fully acknowledge the immoral atrocity that was slavery.  A governmental apology and acknowledgement for creating and maintaining a system of degenerating people based on skin color not only in slavery but in subsequent Jim Crow laws and government sanctioned discrimination.  Why?  Because as a whole, this country benefited greatly from more than 250 years of a free labor source.  Because this nation systematically denied people the rights promised in the constitution of this country well into the 20th century.  And no, not just black people, but Chinese, Koreans, Latinos, Jews, Native Americans, and many others.  Is a governmental apology unheard of?   No, the US offered an apology and reparations to the surviving Japanese Americans whose property was confiscated and lives disrupted by being forced into internment camps in the United States during World War II simply because they were of Japanese ancestry. 

If you are consumed with whether or not I want an apology from you, I don't.  Do I want a personal apology from the government? No, I don't.  Do I believe that the US Congress should officially go on record as condemning the system of slavery that built this country?  Absolutely and unequivocally, yes.  While they're at it, they should also acknowledge the destruction done to the Native American cultures indigenous to this land.  Will I lead a miserable existence if it doesn't happen?  No, I sleep well and will continue to do so. 

It is for each of us to deal with our own beliefs about emotional issues such as race and ethnicity.  I am of the school of thought that talk is a healing process but I may be wrong.  I didn't post the ugly and rather stupid comments that I found on a message board to make anyone feel bad.  I just believe that hatred and ignorance grow best in the dark.  To eradicate them, we have to drag them into the light.  In other words, I don't believe that there is any benefit in pretending that all is well and that there are no ugly and hateful beliefs out there based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, body shape etc.  Obviously, I am not the conscience of the world and I don't profess to be.  As always, this journal is one woman's thoughts as I try to make sense of the world around me.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your thoughts.  They always speak to my heart.  
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I fully see where you're coming from and agree fully with you.

Spencer

Anonymous said...

Well said Sheria. It is good to air controversial issues. I agree with you.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

Sheria,
I see where you are coming from..you are a decent woman. I just get sick of people using the color of their skin, or the way they were raised as excuses for why their life did not turn out well when they have had the same resources that everyone else has. I cannot use the excuse that I had an abusive childhood for my lack of education. Pleanty of people that come from horrible childhoods like mine did much better than I did in life. I have to take responsibility for my actions and not blame others, when I made bad choices. Bam
http://journals.aol.com/reconcilinglife/reconciling-life/

Anonymous said...

Hey Sheria, excellent article. I agree completely....

When you wrote, "A governmental apology and acknowledgement for creating and maintaining a system of degenerating people based on skin color not only in slavery but in subsequent Jim Crow laws and government sanctioned discrimination. "

What were your thoughts on how to do this? I have heard  past and present presidents, past and present Congressman, etc., give speeches on the evil of slavery, speeches about Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and speeches on freedom.

I agree with what your saying but I am wondering what example are you speaking of. The evil laws are abolished now, new laws written to do this as well although society and societies around the world are the same. Are you thinking a speech in congress?  It would be something interesting to see if enough people would venture on this idea of yours. ~Raven

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post.  I think you made your point very well, and enjoy seeing in print the evidence of your intelligence, enlightenment and sound-reasoning.
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

Anonymous said...

I think you explained yourself quite well here. There can be no misunderstanding except for within the closed mine. Bea

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this entry, Sheria.  It seems with difficult issues there always is a need to keep explaining if misunderstanding persists, so you never get done. That is just the nature of the beast when there is a victim class and an oppressor one.  And you explain very well.    Gerry

Anonymous said...

Hey Sheria, have you considered submitting your article to BeonblackVoices on AOL? The email ~     BeOnBlackVoices@aol.com

This would be a wonderful place to submit your article. I was also thinking what a great opportunity to write another article discussing some of the examples you feel congress should do. That way, there is a finger pointed for direction and maybe, this can actually happen. If a clear objective was written, I bet many would get involved. ~Raven

Anonymous said...

Amen:)  (and well-written, btw)
-- Robin

Anonymous said...

Amen! Beautifully writen!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

i agree!  and you have written it so eloquently!  :)
gina

Anonymous said...

This an excellent post very informative, unfortunately some people will never understand what it is to be percieved differently and all thast goes with it, governments very rarely apologise unlees they can benefit somehow.

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

Dear Sheria,
I love Nelson Mandela. He is a great hero.
I love Martin Luther King.
I probably do not idolise the governemnt (federal) as much as you do.
In these times I wonder who does
natalie

Anonymous said...

Dear Sheria-I am a white living in South Africa and was raised during the apartheid era.I was brought up with the word "kaffir" the equivalent of "nigger" in the USA, as a blanket term for black people.I had a black nanny whom I LOVED! She was like a granny to me and most children were left with their nannies during that era.Being raised that way blinded me as I thought that was just how the world was.My eyes opened to the truth when I was still very young!Rascism is very much still alive here.Despite the laws being changed sadly the poor have not felt the effect of the change.My heart goes out to the oppressed no matter what colour they may be.God made us ALL in His image!!!!Race came about at the tower of Babel-no one has the right to claim supremacy-We are EQUAL in His sight!
Pray for those who are still blinded!! Love to you,Shauneen

Anonymous said...

Hello Sheria, glad to know you. I need some advice from someone who knows their stuff and you sound ideal. I am a white man living in the North/West of England. It's a long story and we are just getting over a spot of bad health so with your permission and your Email address I will cal you in a day or two Thank You JIM  HALLIDAY. Good wishes.

Anonymous said...

Sheria,

I just wrote a play for a group of third graders regarding the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission.  I learned so much by doing the research for the play.  I kept thinking to myself, "Why don't the powers that be do that here?"  What are they afraid of?  Riots and pandemonium?  We've been there and done that.  I know it's hackneyed, but why not 'give peace a chance?'  A piece of common sense advice my mother gave me was that in order to help others, we first must help ourselves.  America would be wise to take heed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheria,
Hugs I am with you on that thought "I am of the belief that healing cannot happen until there is airing of truth " hey I really love the sound you have up when I come to see you on here
Jo

Anonymous said...

I MEANT SONG not sound lol

Anonymous said...

You make such intelligent, well-thought opinions, points of fact, I feel hesitant to disagree with any of it, however I do, with one point:  You want a kind of Proclamation of Condemnation of Slavery from the Congress it seems.  As individuals, you already have it.  But our government as a body cannot ever apologize for a practice, however distasteful, it put into law.  Slavery was the law of the land until deep into our civil war.  Our Congress refers to all the horrors of enslavement as being the barbaric acts they were, but they surely cannot, as a body, say they're sorry for a bad law enacted in another time for reasons no longer cogent.  Good to see u, btw! And thanks for your comments at my place, I do appreciate your views.  xoxo  CATHY

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your comment but there is nothing that prohibits congress from making an official apology for the horror of slavery.  As I mention in my post, a clear precedent is the apology and reparations offered to Japanese Americans following their internment  and relocation in the US during WWII.  It was an official congressional act that made it law to remove thousands of people from their homes for no other reason than that they were of Japanese ancestry and we were at war with Japan.  However, we were also at war with Germany.  Nonetheless, there was no law that required relocating people of German ancestry to internment camps.  There is nothing in the law that prohibits congressional acknowledgement of past wrongs on the part of the government, even if those wrongs were codified into law. In addition, the idea of governmental apology is not new, nor is it mine.  It's been around for some time.  The last president to seriously advocate for such an action on the part of congress was Bill Clinton.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Interesting post, Sheria. I was born in mid-Africa - Zambia, lived in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and moved to South Africa. I hear what you are saying about racism - I was surrounded with it as I grew up.  Unfortunately, though, it can turn around and become racism against whites in many situations.  Although I don't blame the black people for being angry at how they have been treated, I do wish that everyone could follow Nelson Mandela's ways and accept each other for who we are and learn from each other.  What happened in the past is not the fault of us today, so we should start fresh, accepting, loving and sharing with each other. Not putting the blame on others because of what their forefathers did. I agree that South Africa's ending of apartheid was wonderful. I wish it would just grow from there instead of having reverse apartheid come into effect.  It does not happen in all situations, but it does in many.  It is something I have lived through my whole life. I agree with you - it is something that we need to try to make sense of and just pray for a light to shine on this so that we can see how things should be. I may be living in my own world, but I would so love for everyone just to accept others, no matter what their race, color or creed, for who they are, and not for anything else. ~  Caroline  ~