Monday, January 1, 2007

Renewal

When I was a child, the 21st century existed only in science fiction.  Cars that flew, space travel as commonplace as shopping, no shortage of food or water anywhere in the world.  I was a Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov fan, a science fiction world not of gadgets but of human beings that had progressed beyond the petty desires that fueled the worst of human behavior.

The reality of the 21st century has been a bit of a let down.  However, I spoke with my friend J yesterday and opined that I was feeling optimistic because I had hope.  One of my favorite myths is that of curious Pandora, who opened the box and released the ills of humankind into the world.  Chagrined and heart broken, Pandora weeps, until she hears a tiny fluttering of wings and a small but brightly lit creature flies out of the bottom of the box and announces that her name is Hope. 

J isn't as certain as I am that hope is a good thing.  He is a student of Buddhism.  He tells me that according to Buddhist philosophy, that hope is just as painful as fear.  He says that both detract us from living in the moment and learning from our experiences. 

He certainly gave me pause but I'm not completely persuaded.  I think that it is possible to learn from life's pain and mistakes and still maintain a hopeful optimism that there is a rainbow on the other side of the storm cloud.  I always enjoy my conversations with J because he challenges me, makes me think about what I believe and why I believe it.

I spent Christmas Day with family.  My sister and her husband fixed a delicious Christmas dinner--pepper and garlic steaks, baked chicken breasts, sauteed collards with garlic, mashed cauliflower (tastes like mashed potatoes without the calories!) and corn on the cob.  I supplied the sweet potato pie and we all supplied the good conversation.

My annual Holiday party was Saturday.  I apologize for not posting pictures, but I don't have a digital camera and I forgot to borrow one.  Alas, there was no camera in my Christmas stocking this year! 

I found some flickering tea lights (battery powered) that gave off a lovely glow.  I have a firm policy of using low light at my parties.  My friend P commented that it was a bit dark.  This is intentional; if there is a missed dust bunny in the corner, it's not noticed and besides, everyone looks better in candlelight.

I wore my new burgundy outfit (the one on sale) and received many compliments.  I felt like the belle of the ball.  I had about 20 guests and a good time was had by all. 

I made five pounds of spicy meatballs served with a hot red curry and peanut sauce that were a big hit.  Not a single meatball left over!  My good friend P brought a ham from Heavenly Ham that I served with crostinis and cranberry honey mustard.  I also served sweet potato pie, an assortment of cheeses (Brie, Shropshire Blue, English Cheddar, Blue Saga, and English Stilton) with crackers, chips and dip, pita toasts and hummus, and a champagne punch (peach champagne, mango nectar, and ginger ale).

It was wonderful to spend time with friends and family, talking, laughing and enjoying each others company.  The festivities began at 5:00 pm and the last guests left at 12:30 am.

My sister R and her husband B hosted a New Year's Eve party last night.  R and I live four blocks from each other.  She and B purchased a home in the neighborhood first.  I was sort of reluctant to take on the responsibilities of home ownership but not only was she able to persuade me to purchase my first home but I couldn't think of anything better than living so close to my sister and B.  They are both delightful people.  They've been married 22 years and everyone who knows them. loves them.  They both attended my party and of course I reciprocated and attended theirs.

By the way, as I am no longer in my twenties, and two nights of partying is rather exhausting, I was incapable of doing anything of much note today.  My sister and I talked on the phone and decided that we needed naps this afternoon.

When I haven't been napping, I've been wishing friends and family happy new year via phone calls and emails.  I've spent the rest of today reflecting on the year just passed and looking forward to the one just begun.  I've got hope sitting on my shoulder.

I purchased two new CDs for myself during the holidays.  Both are by relatively new artists, Alice Smith and Corinne Bailey Rae.  I plan to share some of the songs in my posts here.  Today it's a tune by Alice Smith called New Religion

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listened to the Alice Smith music... wow, what a voice. Then I clicked to her website, and was surprised to see how young she looked... her voice sounds so mature and sultry, but she doesn't look old enough to own that voice! She is beautiful. She is going places, I believe. I was happy to learn that you indeed live closer to your sister than I do to mine. Her visit is why I could not consider coming to yours. While we were strolling through SouthPoint Mall, I mentioned you to her. I told her one day that you and were going to meet for lunch, and since the only place I'm familiar with in Durham is SouthPoint mall, it was very possible that you and I could meet there. So, yes it is still on my agenda. The mall walk yesterday made me cough a lot, and tired me, but I'm feeling even stronger today, and was able to get a lot of planning done in my classroom this afternoon. BTW, Sheria, I take naps on weekends... it is one of life's pleasures for me! Hope is good... it moves us out of despairing places, and helps us endure what could be unbearable events. Hope is light, and hope is life. Keep hope with you every day, and share it with others as well. Great entry. Happy New Year, Sheria. Bea

Anonymous said...

Super Entry. HAPPY NEW YEAR, Aimer! You keep Hope right by your side because the ONLY thing Hope does not give (is) up!

Thanks for the CarnivAOL suggestion, I'm getting some responses.

The recipe thing, I thought I had 72-hours, I see I have 7 days. (I'm gonna need them)  I sent the recipes to #1, but when I read "You know the routine" I don't have a clue how to change those names...

I'm glad you had a fun time with your friends and family.

Now back to figuring out step # 2 with the recipes. lol

RIVER

Anonymous said...

sounded like you had a great time, the good sounded yummy.  Have a great 2007.

Anonymous said...

Your buffet sounds gorgeous and I bet you WERE the bell of the ball.  Would have loved to see a picture of you in your burgandy outfit.  It sounded so pretty.  Glad you had a nice time over the holidays, and like you I, too, am dissappointed we still don't have flying cars, holidays on the moon and world peace.
Happy New Year!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and yours a great upcoming year in 2007!

Gab

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas food sounds wonderful. Happy New Year!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/20062007-journal-index/

Anonymous said...

Sharia, HAPPY 2007 , your entry made me hungry  :) sounds like you had two days of good eats and good company  ,have a great day
luv Jo

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Someone else who remembers that the 21st century is supposed to be sc.fi. and cars fly and we all wear tunics that button up the side.  Whenever i mention it to people they look at me as if i have become the alien, or perhaps i watched the wrong tv programmes when i was a child.  LOL!
Jenny <><
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jennyp51/stop-the-clock-times-moving-too-/

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful menu for your party.  I would have liked some of that.  Sorry you could not take a photo of your new burgundy outfit!  I tried to go very light on the food as I had been to the doctor's office and found out I had already gained 4 pounds instead of lost any.  Oh dear.  I think there is nothing like a nice party to start the year off right!  I found an old photo taken of my ex and me at a New Year's Karaoke Party five years ago.  He came to sing.  I always could listen to him forever.  Now my son Raymond has to wear the mantle of country western singer in the family.  I do wish I could hear the music better in the journals.  I have dial up and they tell me that unless I get Broad Band I will never be able to tape the music well.   Doc has many CDs of great jazz musicians.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Seria!

Your words paint a better picture of your party than a digital camera ever could! I wish I'd been there!!!

Nancy
www.nancybartholomew.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, Your party sounds lovely. If you can, I would love to have the spicy meatballs and sauce recipe. Thanks

Anonymous said...

"that hope is just as painful as fear.  He says that both detract us from living in the moment and learning from our experiences.  "

My response~ Thats a bunch of hogwash that sounds like wisdom peering out of an empty hole that was never full.

The Why's in my opinion~
Hope is painful when we dont beleive in it ANDr hope for what can hurt us. Some people hope for wealth or hope for a jerk to love them or hope for an opportunity to screw with someone elses head, etc.,......Hope, which by the way, I struggle with and I fear what it will take to come out of my cave because it is work and sacrifice which I have done my whole life. One gets tired which I am BUT I know its all a lie but we can know a lie as a lie and still remain stagnant. Now, with all of that, comes the principle of HOPE. I can agree, that at times HOPE feels like fear because it means stepping out but its a good stepping out. Right? OK, then... it can NOT distract us from living. It can distract us from the cave. Right on!

The only way HOPE can distract us from living life positively, is if what we hope for what will harm us or another. As far as, HOPE hindering us from learning from our experiences, that is HOGWASH. Even Misplaced HOPE, example-hoping for a jerk to come back is still a wonderful lesson when he doesn't or does. We learn from our foolishness. HOPE in the frame of mind where what we desire is good food, it can only enlighten, heighten, bring wisdom and a positive shine in all that we see and do. ~Raven

Anonymous said...

Ok Part 2


hope I didnt sound harsh in my last entry...no fingers pointed at your friend...not my style...Its just hope is a gem that I want again and even without it, and even knowing better, it is what makes life bareable. Without hope, one might as well be dead....I have some....but I am not walking full..I cant point out a standard without being real about my short comings too...why look like a shiny window when really, I got issues,lol...by the way, the food sounds good and Corrine....love her.....~raven

Anonymous said...

Your reflections about hope are delightful, and I wished I had been a guest at your party.
I think that hope is always there in the living, perhaps it should not be the focus, but otherwise I think it is very human to hope, hold on hopes, and live with hopes, whether we want it or not. I certainly think that without hope, people give up a lot and often life itself.
Valerie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/

Anonymous said...

lovely entry Sheria!
Yeah I know the future is getting dimmer.. so hold hope at hand! I like our allegories and Pndora's box feels at home lately!
How cool that your sister cooked!
some other people here do too and I think if theywere not here I would fudge!
i would just buy some pasta items and heat them up! lol!
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Life in the 21st Century seems to be mundane. The big issues for NC appear to be government induced. Read this from a respected state senator:


Time For Leadership on NC budget
By North Carolina State Senator Fred Smith

During the 2006 election, many candidates for office faced questions from voters about the increasing size of North Carolina state government. Questions about the fiscal responsibility of the Easley Administration and Democratic legislative leaders are timely. The past ten years, General Fund spending has grown 24% faster than combined inflation and population growth – translating into a $1,116 increase in real dollars for a typical North Carolina family.(1)

State government spending continues to be out of control with a projected $500 Million revenue shortfall in 2007. The most recent state budget increased spending 9.7%, on top of an 8% increase last year. The failure of the Democratic legislature and Governor Easley to prioritize and control spending has resulted in millions of dollars of inefficient expenditures – instead of worthwhile investments like educating our children or building and maintaining roads. Ultimately, this careless, undisciplined spending has also forced North Carolina to impose on its citizens the highest tax burden in the southeast. Meanwhile, the local tax burden is also increasing.(2) Irresponsible year-after-year increases in spending strain family budgets, stifle private sector growth and damage the ability of small businesses and entrepreneurs to create new jobs.

Even Lt. Gov. Perdue, one of the most liberal Democratic officeholders in our state's history, seems to recognize the problem. She recently penned an email to supporters touting her hot new "reform" idea: a permanent state efficiency commission. The commission, she says, would "present a maximum of ten separate governmental efficiency proposals" to "counter the pressures in the system favoring wasteful spending and loopholes.

Anonymous said...

hi!  :)  sounds like you and your family and friends had a wonderful christmas and new year holiday.  to me, its being surrounded by our loved ones that make the holidays so special.  as for the first part of this entry....i'm very thankful for hope....the future would seem so bleak without it!  i agree with you, we do learn from our heartbreaks and mistakes, and it 's when the pain starts to subside that we can latch onto that hope...for a better tomorrow and eternity.
gina