Wednesday, January 17, 2007

That Race Thing

Sorry, but race and ethnicity are not the same thing.  In my initial post on this topic, I suggest that there is no satisfactory answer as to what consitutes race in any objective or scientific sense.  That is the point of modern research on the development of race science.  Race is a social and political construct that has a powerful impact on modern society.  We all buy into the concept of race.  When I'm filling out some form and it asks me to identify my race, I check black or African-American.  But genetic science doesn't support the notion of race which in essence would divide human beings into subspecies.  The prevailing genetic belief holds that human beings are a single species and given our relative youth on the evolutionary calendar, we haven't been around long enough to evolve into distinct subspecies. Homo sapiens is defined as, "The modern species of humans, the only extant species of the primate family Hominidae." That one group considers itself to be a race is relevant in a social and cultural context, but it doesn't make it a fact supported by scientific evidence.  Often when people speak of race they are really talking about ethnicity.  Ethnicity is defined via a set of shared characteristics--linguistic, cultural, ancestral, national or regional ties.  Ethnic groups commonly have shared behavioral and religious traditions.  Ethnic identity is not based on scientific principles but on cultural and societal norms.  The People's Republic of China has officially designated 56 ethnic groups in China!

Certainly ancient cultures recognized that people looked different as far as skin color, hair texture, etc.  However acknowledging and commenting on difference is a far cry from using it as a basis to determine who is superior and who is inferior. 

I did not mean to suggest that slavery as practiced by the ancient Romans or Greeks was a simply benign institution.  Ownership of another human being is not justifiable under any circumstances. 

The significant change in the 17th century was that race was given a biological basis and began to be regarded as a scientific fact.  Human nature being what it is, of course there have always been efforts to categorize and classify people based on various criteria. 

Ironically, the first Africans brought to Jamestown in 1619 were not slaves but indentured servants.   It wasn't until 1641 that Massachussetts became the first British colony to legalize slavery.   Other colonies followed suit but it was the Slave Codes of 1705 that fully sealed the fates of Africans as slaves.  The Slave Codes of 1705 specified that all persons of color be considered as real estate, i.e. property.  There was no punishment in law for causing harm or even death to a slave. It was a distinct set of economic, moral, and social conditions that fostered racial slavery in the US and the subsequent continued discrimination long after slavery was abolished.  What evolved into the system of slavery in America was a peculiar institution with lasting impact on the development of this country.

When I was  a child, I cut my knee rather badly.  In the 1960's, everything came in glass bottles, not plastic and I dropped a bottle of rubbing alcohol on the floor.  It was 1963; I was eight-years-old and not too bright, so I knelt down to pick it up.  My mother noticed the blood gushing from my knee, grabbed me, wrapped a towel around my knee, and herded my younger brother and sister out the door and into the car.  When she got to the clinic, she picked me and the now bloody towel up and raced to the entrance.  In her panic, she went to the wrong entrance, the white only entrance.  As she attempted to enter the door with her bleeding and loudly wailing child in her arms, she was told that she needed to go around to the colored entrance.  My mother did what she was told, recognizing that protest would have done no good and wasted valuable time. 

My knee was repaired but for the rest of the summer I had to return for periodic visits to the clinic.  The repair job consisted of using clamps to close the outer skin together, necessitating my keeping the leg fully extended at all times.  For some reason, although there was a separate colored entrance for the emergency facilities, there was one main entrance that allowed one to reach the waiting room.  Each doctor's visit, my mother and I would traverse the expansive waiting room reserved for whites only, a waiting room that was brightly lit, had green plants, and comfortable seating, including recliners.  We walked through this waiting room to get to the colored only waiting room.  A small, narrow room with no windows and two benches on opposite walls.  As I could not bend my knee, the only way I could sit on the bench was sideways, with my leg up on the bench.  However, the waiting room was always crowded so rather than take up extra seating space with my extended leg, my mother would help me sit on the floor.  This was the summer that I finally understood what being colored meant.

My experience is not special or unique; it was the status quo of the time.  My point is that slavery as practiced in America, by white America, was a monolithic institution that fed off of a determined belief that the superior people were entitled to own the inferior people.  This belief in the natural superiority of whites made it impossible for a blending of blacks into mainstream society after emancipation.  White America was faced with a serious conundrum after the Civil War--what to do with the millions of suddenly free blacks?  To simply accept them as equals was impossible.  The entire southern culture (and to a somewhat lesser extent, the north, east and west; even northern abolitionists weren't convinced of the equality of blacks but of their right to freedom ) was firmly based on a legal and social belief that blacks were genetically inferior to whites.   Many whites were fond of their slaves and treated them like family members, much in the way that a family pet is adored.  They did not consider them their equals and were uncomfortable with any new order that attempted to put them on the same level.  The period of Reconstruction saw the rise of Jim Crow laws that were specifically designed to continue to assert white superiority and affirm black inferiority. 

The aftermath of slavery, Reconstruction, and Jim Crow has had a lasting impact on race relations in this country.  Some white people have expressed a belief that blacks are obsessed with slavery and bitterness and that we need to let it go. For our own health as a people, I agree.  But letting go of bitterness is not the same as forgetting, as turning a blind eye to the past.  Slavery was not a finite institution that ended with emancipation.  The impact of slavery continued long after its legal end because the basic beliefs of white America that linked skin color to intelligence, work ethic, moral character and personal worth persisted long after slavery.  I grew up in Wilson, North Carolina, a small southern town of about 30,000.  I attended segregated schools.  If my mother wanted to take a break from cooking, she could go to the back door of a local restaurant, the colored entrance, purchase the food and leave.  When we went shopping downtown, some stores were reserved for whites only.  We could shop in other stores but were often not allowed to try on the clothes before purchasing them or had to commit to purchase if we tried them on.  It was important that no white person inadvertently try on clothes that had been on a black person's body.  I recall watching my mother try on hats with a scarf on her head that was provided by the hat shop to all of its colored customers.

I recall my mother accepting a part time job at a local bakery.  The new owner was from New York and Jewish.  He fired the white woman who worked there because he was dissatisfied with her work.  My mother happened to come in to make a purchase on the day he put the help wanted sign in the window and he hired her.  She worked there for less than a week.  One morning she went to work and we walked to school.  My mother had enrolled us in a small Catholic school that was three blocks from our house.  One reason she wanted a job was to pay the tuition.  My father wasn't clear as to why we couldn't just attend the free public school.  My mother says that the black school in our neighborhood was so overcrowded that grades K-2 went to school in half day shifts.

On our way to school, a car pulled over and offered us candy and a ride.  My little brother, sister and I hopped in and accepted the candy.  The driver was white and had on a collar like our priest wore.  He told us that he was visiting our priest.  He dropped us off at school and drove away.

Later that evening, I heard my parents talking in hushed voices and did what all children do with their parents are whispering, I eavesdropped. 

My father had just been hired as a local police officer.  He was one of the first four black officers hired on the Wilson police force.  He was not allowed to drive a patrol car, none of the black officers were, but he walked a beat.

My parents were discussing a phone call that my mother had taken.  A man had described the clothing that we wore to school that day.  He knew our names.  He warned my mother that unless she quit the job that she had stolen from a white woman that the next time we were picked up, we wouldn't make it to school.  My mother was crying and my dad wasn't saying much of anything.  I think back on it and realize how powerless he must have felt.  Even with his new position as an officer of the law, he couldn't protect his family.  My mother quit the job immediately and drove us to school for the next few weeks.  My dad never bothered to report the matter to his superiors.  It was common knowledge that members of the local police force were Klan members.  This took place in 1964.

I don't know any other way to speak of race history in this country without stating that white America created and perpetrated the system of racial exclusion that still affects the United States.  It doesn't matter that they learned it elsewhere; they practiced it here.  It doesn't absolve them of collective responsibility that the seeds for race discrimination arose out of publications by pseudo-scientists from Sweden or Germany or wherever. 

If the end of slavery in 1865 had truly ended all race conscious practices, laws, and policies in the US, I doubt that we would continue to struggle with matters of race and equality in this country.  Slavery would be a regrettable but distant memory.  However, when the intrinsic value and dignity of a human being is unequivocally tied to their skin color, then something horrific happens to both the oppressor and the oppressed.  Both lose a measure of their humanity, that once lost is difficult to regain.

When I began this journal, I never planned to write about matters of race here.  I planned to write about far less weighty issues for my own amusement and the amusement of my readers.  However, rightly or wrongly, I feel an obligation to try and communicate the complexities of race relations in the US.  I don't pretend to have all the answers nor do I speak for all black people, but I have devoted a great deal of my life to trying to understand why my country is still trapped in the quicksand of race.  I don't have an answer yet, but I'm working on it.  I think that's all that any of us can do.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have done your homework, Sheria... I on the other hand rely on other people to do the homework in some subjects... I suppose because of the time it takes to read and absorb, to analyze, and respond. My heart responds quicker and with less analysis than my mind. I think that perhaps two or three hundred years from now, it will be more easily understood in retrospect. I think also that it takes a lifetime to make the kinds of changes you address here. Unfortunately. It's a slow process, and generations will die before whites and blacks truly do consider themselves equal. I believe it will happen, and it has already begun to happen.

I suppose each race considers theirs superior, or at least a group of people within that race does. I like the idea that we are all humans, not to be divided into subspecies like other animals. You had some very startling and disturbing experiences as a child, and your parents... God bless them. I can't imagine the fear they must have had, nor the bitterness they had to swallow, and the double life they must have had to live... to live within the parameters of the life described for them, to realize the injustice of it all, but to have to get along with people who show disdain or arrogance for them, to have to put on a smile, to be polite... I know many of us do that in a small way in our jobs, you know, pretend to get along while really disliking the company we keep. But their lives depended upon it. By the time my family moved to Georgia, schools were desegregated in the south. I've only read of the civil unrest, the violence whites played upon blacks. I don't have the answers either, but it's good to ponder these things. More importantly, it is necessary to do small acts of kindness, to be just and fair within our own communities and neighborhods, no matter which ethnic group lives there. Bea

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post Sheria.  I believe if you want to understand a people, you have to study and know their history.  In order to know who they are, you have to understand where they've been.
Thought provoking and informative as always!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I wrote you a long comment, but before I knew it, AOL was saying "only 2000 characters". I tried to cut and paste this time, but I lost the whole thing.  I'll send you an e-mail about it.  

Anonymous said...

This is brilliantly put Sheria and so informative. When someone experiences what you experienced as a child in the 1960s it must shape your views forever. I fully understand why you want to find out more about the continuing issue of skin colour in the US. It is horrific. I know that it does not just apply to skin colour however. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. There religion divides people. In the mid-20th century and up to the present day, Catholics feel like second class citizens, discriminated against in terms of jobs, schools, universities etc. These people share the same skin colour, they are even all Christian! It has led to endemic violence and terrorism. Politically and emotionally things seem to be moving on for Northern Ireland, but it is not that difficult to find the prejudices just beneath the surface. I struggle to understand it, because it has nothing to do with race, but has to do with issues of Christianity since the Reformation of the Church, and the Protestant assumption of superiority over Catholics several hundred years ago in the British Isles. It is as if the past reaches forward and grabs the present in it's grip. Well written! I am really enjoying reading your posts and learning something new. Maybe I will use slavery in the ancient world as a topic for my MA project.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

A poignant and timely article. I've been following you but not commented till now.
Spencer
http://journals.aol.com/yeolecontractor/SpencersPlace

Anonymous said...

You have written a very succinct and I think much needed description of just what it has been like to grow up as black in this country.  I always feel so bad when I read about slavery, because I know quite well these these attitudes persisted that you have described to cause humiliation and pain.  White people could not help but degrade themselves when they opened the door to the kind of thinking that allows one human being to enslave another.  But I live in an extremely race integrated area.  I am always happy when I see how comfortable the races have become sharing their lives together, like on the buses, in stores, banks, everywhere.  The young are the hope because they accept each other without the prejudices that can suddenly burst out and hurt people as so many of the older people have.  They truly do accept each other, no matter what race. I keep going to my clinic because I have gone there for years even though the clientele is nearly all Hispanic.  Pierre was French Canadian but would make dismayingly racist comments when he started going there.  I am always so disappointed when  a man my age cannot keep from discriminating because of race.  Keep writing from your heart about these experiences that seared your soul. People need to know, because there is still a lot of prejudice being expressed in this country.   Gerry

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheria, I came by way of Caroline.  You know, all  I could think of for the middle part of your entry- about when you cut yourself and had to go to the hospital- is that did'nt anyone notice that you were bleeding the same kind of blood that we do?  I'm sorry- I don't know much about the situation here during the past century- except by way of tv documentaries etc.  I  never have understood what the big deal was about "White" Black" only, back of the bus type things.  It's a pitiful part of history, as are a lot of parts.  I'm not claiming to pure by way of racist thoughts, but I will never understand how color of people's skin makes a difference.  I was always taught, and affirmed this in my faith is that it matters what's on the inside of people that counts.  God looks at the heart, not the skin color, and that's the way I try to see people too.  There's certain things I don't agree with such as affirmative action, but not because I don't think kids need a helping hand- but because I think that some black leaders are not helping black children to realize their full potential- what God as given each and every one of us.  So many black people have achieved so much- I mean, Condi Rice!!!!  It used to be that black boys could aspire to be a good athelite, but there is so much more out there- and I know these kinds of opportunities weren't allowed back in the Jim Crowe days- I'm glad they are now.  Everyone has the right to try and achieve whatever they are gifted to do in this life- I just don't think the Al Sharptons and Jessi Jacksons are helping young black kids to realize this.  I hope I'm not offending here- it's not my intention.  Just the way I see things sometimes.  God made us all- so I just look at everyone that way.  Have a Blessed day!  Carolyn :)

Anonymous said...

This article should be published!  I am almost 43 but Oregon is far more liberal than the south. Growing up in Oregon, I experienced no racism but my father did. He was the top ten car salesmen nationwide. Even the owner of Toyota flew to Oregon for a dinner party where my dad received his plastic award and was never promoted to manager. He was always a salesman.  Another pitfall today, is some dont think they are prejudiced. When they open their mouth you can hear it plain and clear but they dont see it.  

You did such a wonderful job distinguishing race and ethnicity. With my personal religious beliefs, God made one Adam and one Eve.  He didnt create races, they all evolved from the same starting place. Our eyes see race, society teaches ethnicity and our ignorance sees seperation instead of the oneness within the human race.  ~raven

Anonymous said...

Wow... a very eye opening entry.  I am so sorry for the prejudice you and yours suffered, especially when you were a child.  So sad.  And, for that you suffer today.  Via CarnivAOL

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I found you via CarnivAOL.  A very thought-provoking entry.  I agree that the only true answer to the race question is "human".  We all are and any other answer is beyond tragedy.  I am sorry you suffered from such prejudice.
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

We are the Human race.  Skin color is merely a hereditary trait like eye color.  These things are from birth.  Dialect, traditions, culture......ethnicity are things that we gather from from the time, place and people around us.  -  Back by way of CarnivAol.  -  barbara