Thursday, January 18, 2007

Some People Have Very Scary Minds

Yesterday, I read a news story about comments made by a state legislator in Virginia.  I sent the story to some friends. (Link to story)  I also sent them the following email containing comments from folks on the AOL message board in response to the story.  I warn you that there are things that you may find offensive in the material below.  I decided to make this post not because I believe that the comments represent all or even the majority of people's opinions.  But I do think that the comments are indicative of the sickness that infects our country, an illness that cannot be cured by simply pretending that it doesn't exist.  I think that bigotry, prejudice, and racism are like viruses; they spread and infect unless we take steps to prevent them from doing so.  Good, thoughtful people must be the ones who step forward and give direction to the misguided. Following is the email that I sent yesterday:

 

I couldn't just stop with reading the news article about the legislator’s remarks.  I checked out the AOL informal poll accompanying the story.  The results are below.  In further need of self-flagellation, I also went to the AOL message board where people may comment on the story.  I've included a few sample comments that range from flat out ignorance to a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.  I didn't edit the comments; spelling,use of capitalization, and punctuation are those of the author. Screen names are at the end of each comment.  So far there are 5081 comments on this story and no, I did not read them all.  I did read enough to ascertain that the following represent the general tone of people's responses.  Sigh...I'm glad that I'm going to my new job next week; I need to stop reading this crap.

 

How Would You Describe the Comment?

No so big a deal 68%

A big deal 32%

Total responding to poll: 70,385

give em 10 bucks and theyll forget all  about slavery.....they can be bought and sold just like theyre ancestors--mariuch83

...affirmative action! Now you need an apology too? I'm sorry we didn't decide to pick our own damned cotton! We'd be so much better off and you'd be running through the jungle with a bone through your nose!--SHen83

 

no they'ed find someone to blame for that too.maybe they can get an apology from the caveman--Stocker1543

Someone else besides me finally said it. How many are actually paying attention to this? There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, Native Americans, etc. And then there are just Americans. You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me "Whiteboy," "Cracker," "Honkey," "Whitey," or "Caveman" and that's OK. But when I call you, Nigger, Towelhead, Sand-nigger, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink, you call me a racist.  You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you, so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live? You have the United Negro College Fund.
You have Martin Luther King Day.
You have Black History Month.
You have Cesar Chavez Day.
You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi You have the NAACP.
You have BET. If we had WET(White Entertainment Television), we'd be racists.If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.
If we had White History Month, we'd be racists.
If we had any organization for "only whites" to advance our lives, we'd be racists.We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. Wonder who pays for that?
If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships, you know we'd be racists. There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US , yet, if there were "White Colleges," that would be a racist college.
In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.
You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not
afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.
You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug-dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist. I am proud. But, you call me a racist.
Why is it that only whites can be racists?--shrillestliberal


IF IT WASN'T FOR SLAVERY, AMERICA WOULD BE FREE OF BLACKS AND TAXES WOULD BE LOW BECAUSE THERE WOULD BE HARDLY ANY EXPENDITURE TO BUILD PRISONS AND STAFF THEM. IF IT WEREN'T FOR SLAVERY, BLACKS WOULD BE KILLING EACH OTHER OVER FLIES TO EAT INSTEAD BECAUSE OF SLAVERY, DESCENDANTS OF SLAVES HAVE FREEDOM, OWN HOMES, BUSINESSES, HAVE ACCESS TO EDUCATION, AND VAST ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES (EVEN SEN. BARRACK OBAMA AGREES).  IF ANYTHING BLACKS OWE THIS COUNTRY A GREAT DEAL OF GRATITUDE INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE RACE CARD EVERYTIME THEY ROB, RAPE AND MURDER (SEE OJ SIMPSON CASE).--ODYSSEY03

 

Like I mentioned in a different thread. Bottom line, if it wasn't for slavery the black people who are complaining about slavery would not be here to complain about it. Think about Genetics and DNA, It took a certain combination to create you. For exampley if your Mother didn't meet your father and met someone else and fertilized the same egg which is actually you. Guess what? You wouldn't be here. So therefore to complain and cry about slavery is like saying, I wish I wasn't born.--Shimanchuone

 

NIGGERS THINK WHITE MAN OWES THEM, WELL GEUSS WHAT YOU GOT PAID. WE LET YOU LIVE ON "OUR" WHITE MAN LAND YOU "COMMODE SCUMS"  NIGGAZ !--Jacpotscot1

 

OJ Should Apologize First for what he did. Then white America might be willing to look at the long list of demands from blacks.  Funny that Hispanics are not as belligerent or high maintenance.--PrinceAffy

 

I'm making myself sick.  I'm going to end with a comment that I found that is thoughtful and compassionate.--Sheria

 

Where is this mans SOUL, does he not understand, NO ONE gets over Rape,Torture, Salvery. Does he not understand that Raping a girl effects everyone including their children, and sometimes their children too. The emotional scars on children continue through to their children sometimes for generations. Never tell anyone GET OVER IT.

Emotional pain is not something anyone FORGETS, in fact we must continue to understand the pain people feel when we mistreat them.  Hate is so strong it hurts long after the sting of the whip has stopped.--C33704

 

 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of this makes me ashamed to be white.  It's thoroughly disgusting.
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Dear Marie, please do not feel any shame.  These miserable souls do not represent you or most other people with good and loving hearts.  I think that the sentiments that they express are so far removed from what thoughtful people believe that often the good people aren't even aware that such hatred exists.  Unfortunately, we cannot take steps to eradicate what we don't know exists.  The ugliness is repulsive and scary but I think that we have to know it is out there before we can do anything about it.  I don't buy into the notion that any individual is responsible for bad behavior on the part of other individuals.  I do believe that collectively, we may be able through education and communication, guide people to a better understanding of each other across racial, ethnic, and cultural lines.  In particular, I think that we can do much to insure that our children grow up with kinder hearts and more understanding that previous generations.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

You know, If I did not know better I would think you just made the comments in your entry up. There could not be this much ignorance alive and well in the United States. But........ I do know better. What a shame. I don't remember who said it but a famous quote I think goes like this, It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and prove it. That should be posted on the top of AOL's Message boards, among other places.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to come back and read this over the weekend... it looks serious and heavy with thought provoking text. Don't have the thinking power tonight. Sorryl.. will be back, Sheria. bea

Anonymous said...

remarks and sentiments like this are so disgusting!  it just sickens me.  i guess i have a tendency to stick my head in the sand, not wanting to believe that such bigotry and prejudice still exists to this degree in our country today.  forgive me.  i don't mean to be ignorant or uncaring....
gina

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Sheria, some of this stuff is vile.  Please submit the article you wrote about race after this one to CarnivAOL right away. Just incase you don't I am going to recommend it to Plittle.  I have also flagged that article in my journal this morning, and this stuff you have reported here just shows us all what hateful attitudes still exist in people who don't understand what kindness and tolerence really are.  So sorry.  These remarks would cause anyone pain.  There are designed to cause pain.  I think you should make a double submission of both of these entries.  I will also do it, too.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Wow what a journal! When I was growing up in a small south texas town we only had one black man there. He was only there to work and his family lived elsewhere. I never understood why he had to go to the back door of the cafe to pick up his hamberger. When we went to san antonio to shop the same thing about some people having to ride in the back of the bus. It just overwhelms me. Paula

Anonymous said...

It is disgusting that these attitudes exist still. Well done for highlighting this Sheria.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

This goes to show how foolish human beings can be. hating someone for the colour of their skin is as ridiculous as hating them for the colour of thier eyes. To get to the real nitty gritty of it hate serves no purpose to mankind other than to cause more hate. How long will this go on With Metta Garry D.

Anonymous said...

Sheria,
I grew up in a project. I was beat up by black people almost every day on my way home from school...and so were my sister and my little brothers. I was very good friends with a black girl until her other black friends told her it was not okay to be hanging around with a "honky". Some where all this race stuff has got to stop. You did not do those things to me, and I did not hold your ancestors as slaves. That is how I feel. Bam
http://journals.aol.com/reconcilinglife/reconciling-life/
 

Anonymous said...

Bam,
Thank you for your honesty.  I certainly don't hold you or any individual white person responsible for slavery.  However, slavery and the subsequent racial bigotry in this nation wasn't simply individuals behaving badly.  It was an organized, governmental system of oppression.  I see a difference in asking a government to be acknowledge its perpetration of a system of an oppression than holding any one person accountable for any acts other than their own.  My words are not meant to make light of the personal trauma that you suffered in your childhood at the hands of some black individuals.  My focus isn't on holding individuals accountable or in getting an apology from any single person. --Sheria

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheria- I don't know how some people can be so ignorant.  I mean, even if this guy hasd good intentions, I think he could have found a more decent way of saying something.  I don't agree with the slavery part, or the Jewish part.  That was offensive to me eventhough I'm not Black or Jewish.  Anyways- I gave up long ago to even bother reading the threads on the stories anymore.  There is way too much hatred from all sides there, and yes, it is scary to realize how many are so angry and hateful.  I like your entry though- makes people think.  Thanks for letting me stop by.  God Bless!  Carolyn :)

Anonymous said...

Sheria, as you know I am African American and I dont hold myself responsible for what the tribes of Africa do onto eachother or the African Americans that participated in the slave trade years ago, onto their own. I do not and would not expect a single Jew to apologize for Christ being murdered either. I do not and would not expect a single white person to apologize for what others did to my people. I believe in accountability and an apology, "takes on ownership" for ones deeds. Now, those today, who are racists and bigots obviously owe an apology. The Africans living today who are killing 100,000's of other Africans in Africa owe an apology. On the other hand, I feel those that want to establish a continual inhumane abuse being done today, racism, who would take up a position that this evil owes an apology, although they are not doer's of this crime; are in my opinion, setting an example for their race. When a white person whose not racist takes that position, he sets an example for his race. When an African American takes that position for the brutality going on in Africa and has always been, they are setting an example for his race. I also do not live by an "I can you cant" philosophy. If I was white, I would want the right to have pride for my race. I have always have a standard first where my pride inside, inward was for the whole human race. Second, to that is my own race.  No person, no race or creed should carry the burden of another mans evil but those who will state an apology for actions they do not own, I applaud them.  ~Raven

Anonymous said...

I didnt think I had enough room to type anymore in my previous comment so I am typing another one,lol...

The legislator comments that we should get over slavery was just plain ignorant. We cant move forward until this nations people'S has a humane heart stating we all are equals. Since that will never ever happen nor has it ever NOT existed in any culture, or nation, we should continually reflect on history because its a lesson that has not seen a world to be healed by.

Also,

About the comments people left about this article~ Most of these comments sit inside of evil and a few, just plain ignorance. ~raven

Anonymous said...

I wanted to add this train of thought too. I have been following the Joseph Kony atrocities in Uganda for quite some time. Hypothetical~ If I was invited to speak to the Uganda people I would offer an apology for what my race has done to my own. If I met a white family whose child was killed by a black man, I would offer an apology addressing that someone of my race had killed their child. I would offer an apology for my race if they had hurt another race. So, when I say I do not "expect" someone, I mean that they hold no ownership for the past. Offering an apology, is an example for their race which benefits us all.  

Another topic~

The white race enslaved us but what some people negate is that the white race also freed us. Many white men died in the civil war to fight for our freedom.  I honor their bravery, blood and sacrifices. Many African Americans died in the civil war and I honor them. But when do we ever hear of us thanking the white man that died for us in the civil war?  What about the white man that stood up to the KKK or spoke on behalf of a black person and was labeled a N-lover and persecuted by his neighbors? These very statements would inflame some people, considering racism and prejudice still exists but I find it all sad.  Evil and good is true of all nations and races. Historically, racism is just as real in Africa amongst the tribes as it is in America.  I can only wonder when man will evolve for one another. ~Raven

Anonymous said...

Dear Sheria,
Good article.
What do you say to people who feel that most peopleare "middle of the orad" in their feelings for other races than their own? do you find that this is true?
natalie

Anonymous said...

It made me sick to read some of this, too, btw, some of these comments wow wow.  Yet, it is good for you and others to be open and make this public and discuss it.   "Get over" slavery?!   Oh, should people "get over" the Holocaust?  No, we should continue to have those horrible times in the worlds history be discussed, in schools, in society, so that they can be remembered, risen above, sure, but remembered, and hopefully not repeated.   My daughter wrote a report on slave trade ships this school year.   I knew things were bad, but wow, I hadn't actually studied it in a long time.    -- Robin