Wednesday, December 6, 2006

That Pesky Word

I dropped by TK's journal to read his latest post; I have him on my alerts.  I can count on him to raise interesting issues that make me think and I wasn't disappointed.  I started to leave him a comment but soon realized that it was going to exceed the comment length, so I'm posting my comment here.  To place my comment in context, you need to hop over to TK's journal and read his post first.

To TK, regarding his post: This is powerful stuff and I admire your strength of character in being willing to put it out here for all to read. 
 
I agree that there is a double standard but I don't think that it is so clear.  I don't use the N-word and I've debated with family members and black friends what I perceive as the harm that is perpetrated when we use the term among ourselves.  However, there is still a difference between one black person using the N-word in reference to another.  The N-word does not have the same power, the same insult, when used black on black.  Maybe it's impossible for a white person to understand and maybe it appears inconsistent, but there it is. 
 
The best example I can give is family interactions.  Siblings call each other names, fight over stupid things and it's all a part of growing up.  But let someone outside of the family pick on your brother or sister and you are immediately ready to stand up for him or her, no questions, no hesitation.  You can thump your brother upside the head for taking your toys but Johnny from down the block better not touch him. 
 
Michael Richards wasn't using the term to be humorous, nor was he using it as sort of an insider term  of affection or camaraderie.  He used the N-word with the full force and  power of the hate and degradation carried with the word.  Our choice about the use of the N-word is an internal struggle, but nothing that we do gives license to any white person to presume to use the term. 
 
There are black comedians that use the term, but they don't use it as a weapon.  It's used to make a point, a sort of insider joke.  Richard Pryor was one of the first black comedians to use the word in his comedy act.  But after visiting the African nation of Zimbabwe, Pryor rejected use if the word. In writing about the people of Africa, Pryor stated, 'There are no niggers here. The people here, they still have their self-respect, their pride.'  Paul Mooney, a black comedian who was a writer for Pryor's comedy shows, recently announced that he will no longer use the N-word, following Michael Richards' tirade at the comedy club.
 
My main objection to the use of the word by black people is not that I believe that it has the same intent when used black on black, but that our use confuses white people, leads them to believe that somehow we are condoning the use of the N-word.  Perhaps it is a part of the schizophrenia that we suffer as a people, a collective internal struggle of identity caused by the peculiar nature of our history in this country, that makes us capable of abjuring the use of the word and allowing it to be used internally.  The majority of black people in the US are not descendants of immigrants.  Immigrants elect to migrate to a new country; our ancestors did not choose to travel across an ocean, packed in the bowels of cargo ships like chattel. After emancipation in 1865, we still were not treated as full citizens of this country.  We were the "other," treated as inferior, not just by social convention but by law.  Truthfully, I am amazed that we have survived with our sense of identity reasonably intact.
 
As difficult as it may be to fully comprehend, the use of the N-word by black people has nothing to do with the use by Michael Richards or any white person for that matter.  Richards is not a young child; he didn't use the word without fully understanding its meaning.  He intended to belittle and insult the black men at whom he directed the word.
 
As for the perception that effective black leadership died with Dr. King and Malcolm, I don't think that is an issue for white America to judge. I realize that this will offend some people.  But in my middle-age years, I've become impatient with the notion that white folks know what black folks need.  We certainly do not attempt to define who is worthy of white leadership.  My personal belief is that we have reached a time when a single, charismatic leader is not the essential force for advancing change.  I believe that the political arena is where the next great wave of change will take place.  Dr. King and Malcolm were necessary at the time, when the entire social foundation of this country was firmly built on a belief of white superiority and black inferiority.  I believe that they successfully cracked that foundation, but that we are still a ways from building a new structure.  I have hope that we are capable of doing so.  I believe that an essential step is to continue to engage in open and honest dialogue.
 
New holiday song is Santa Baby as sung by Eartha Kitt.  This is not a song for the kids!  By the way, previous songs remain available in the entry in which they were originally posted in case you have favorites that you want to revisit.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful entry! I applaud you!
Blessings,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Here again, I agree with you 100%

Anonymous said...

This is a powerful and lucid post, which makes many excellent points. I would like to state for the record that I do not presume to think I know what is best for the black community.

What I do know is that from in my personal opinions race has become an increasingly divisive issue in this nation in the last two decades. Much of this is a result of the growing influence of the Hispanic community throughout the United States but it has acted as a catalyst to empower those who would see us as a segregated populace.

I fear without each group having strong voices, a person or group of people who are willing to lead the fight for the causes of equality that we will grow further apart and devolve as a nation. This fear extends beyond the black community but to all of us who make up the multicolored landscape of this nation.

Warmest Regards,
TK the Rambling Raconteur

Anonymous said...

Well stated.  This is one of the best entries I've read about the whole 'Kramer' fiasco.

Anonymous said...

I hope I will not go blind trying to read  my own teensy print.  What is the deal?  This is not kind to  eyes with cataracts ripening.  I  need to protest the case of the disappearing print.  Perhaps cyber space is shrinking. Anyway I think sometimes that black people should step up and claim equality as though it were theirs and debate on that basis.  I think they have perceived separatist attitudes as helpful in the past, but I question whether they are now.  I would like to see blacks claim all the issues.  I think you have to take equality, too, instead of always waiting for it to be bestowed on you.  I have to take equality when it acomes to dealing with many different kinds of white people who are alkways putting me down for being disabled, poor, unsuccessful.  Even my own relatives.  I claim equality over and over in my society. I claim it by finding a place to write and express my strongest opinions.  I think it comes normal and comfortrable for TKS to claim equality which makes him a powerful voice.  I am 75.  I don't think he is used to accepting a 75 year old disabled woman who has lived in poverty for many years as his equal.  I clam my equality.  I tell him to visit my journal just like I visit his.  I know he is a lot busier than I am so I let him off the hook just as I do my kids  But that is the only reason.  

Anonymous said...

Again Sheria you have posted an excellent entry and I wholeheartedly agree with everything that you write. As a white European I have never had to face insults on the basis of the colour of my skin (unless you count 'freckles' as an insult (LOL!)), and given the shameful history of slavery, we white people ought to be thoroughly ashamed of our ancestors for their behaviour towards the African peoples in the past. Furthermore, we should be doing everything in our power to ensure that equality is a reality, not just in law, but in fact, and in everyday life. Use of the N-word should not be a part of our vocabulary. We are all human beings deserving of the same rights. Well written indeed,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

Kudos!  Well-stated and immensely effective, as always.  

http://journals.aol.com/lamonique/WomaninProgress

Anonymous said...

BOOK CRITICAL OF AFRICAN AMERICANS WHO USE THE N-WORD

Los Angeles, CA., Author H. Lewis Smith has written a thought provoking, culturally divided book that will not only spark heated conversation, but can also bring about real change.  The N-word is often used in the African American community amongst each other and is generally not a problem when spoken by another African American. However, once the word is used by a Caucasian person, it brings on other effects.  The question is "who can use the word and why?"  Smith believes it is a word that should be BURIED!!!!

The book is written in a manner that all can understand. The points are well-taken and the wording is easy to follow. There are quotes from great people in our history including Martin Luther King, Jr., Harriet Tubman, James Baldwin and many, many others.  Smith has mixed history with honesty, love with life, education with effects.  This is a great book for educators, parents, managers, professionals, newsmen, and anyone else wanting an in-depth look at the N-word, the effects and the solutions.  A MUST READ!!!!

To learn more about Bury that Sucka, please visit http://www.burythatsucka.com  



Anonymous said...

I don't know who Michael Richards is (someone alluded to him being Kramer?  I know "Kramer" said some nasty things but been too busy to figure out WHAT).
Anyway, thank you for your explanation.   This makes more sense to me now than anything else I've read in the past that has explained it.   I suppose in some ways, it's a bit akin to my best college girlfriend / roommate and I sometimes referring to each other as wench.   We'd both be highly insulted if anyone else did so.   It's just a different thing when it's us to us.   At least, I'm guessing I understand more now:)   I hope to stop by again sometime.   Have a great December.  -- Robin  

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link; went to TK's page and your comment was hilarious! I could not remain serious
Valerie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/

Anonymous said...

I fully agree with your statement I loathe the Nword it is demeaning and when used between black people it does confuse the issue with non blacks that it's ok to use this term, Here in England the collective term for Indian/pakistani people is Pakis another disgusting term because it's used quite a lot it's almost acceptable in some circles, until people learn to accept other cultures without resorting to this kind of name calling rascism will never be resolved. The N word and all others like are unacceptable in this day and age.

Yasmin (cayasm)

Anonymous said...

You go girl!  I love this response from you.  I always understood that white people just CANNOT use the N word.  In no way shape or form.  I dont care how many black friends you have.  As soon as a white person says the N word its over.  I hate the word.  I never use it.  And I am constantly argueing with people close to me not to use it.  When I have a child "hopefully soon" they will never hear that word come out of mommy and daddy's mouth.  Dina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your insight.   I suppose as with any word, tone, attitude, and the person delivering it matters as much as the word.  Was trying to explain this to my son not long ago.  While I am white, I had a friend in high school that lovingly referred to me as a slut.  Never offended me.  But there are plenty of people who, if they called me that it would hurt deeply.  And many, many more who would make me very angry.  And probably just as many I'd ignore and think them ignorant.  Came by CarnivAOL -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I don't like the word CRACKER either. Bam
http://journals.aol.com/reconcilinglife/reconciling-life/

Anonymous said...

Sheria, excellent entry! I grew up hearing the word nigga every single day. It is something you can do if your within the race and I wasn't offended by it and most black folks arent. But, even within the black community the word nigger is offensive to some degree. Its put you on the edge a bit even if your black. You know all of these things. Words are forces. They do destroy the spirit. I was lucky to grow up as a minority in a predominately white neighborhood and never heard the word directed to me or was I ever treated different. I live on the West Coast, Oregon which is pretty liberal compared to the southern states. My one and only experience was when I went to Midland, Tx to meet my Ex's parents. His father, in time grew to love me but wasn't Ok with our relationship. During the first meeting and within the first hour, he told me he didn't believe in races mixen. I laughed inside,lol..call it shock syndrome,lol...but I wasn't offended and I think its because I didn't have any wounds of being treated different. I guess, the lack of baggage helped me to have grace for him and in time, he treated me like his own daughter BUT....a big BUT....I got to see whats its like as a minority..the small town of Midland looked at me like I was dirt on the bottom of their shoe..Larry and I were an eye sore in their small town views..It was really uncomfortable and I was glad to be back in Oregon...~Raven

Anonymous said...

Words do have power... and certain words should never be used.   Great entry...

be well,
Dawn
via CarnivAOL

Anonymous said...

a very good entry.  i have never used the word and i cringe when i hear it.  we are all God's people and He sees the heart, not the external.  what you say about blacks using the word amongst themselves makes sense, and i've thought that before, but i still don't see how it could be good.  i believe it sends mixed messages to others.  i wish it could be stricken from our language forever...but then, there are other words that i would also like to see banned.  guess i better hush....i'll soon be accused of censorship.  lol  i like your journal.  i have been by before...i just need to put you on alerts.  merry Christmas!!!!
gina

Anonymous said...

Great, thought-provoking entry. De