Friday, December 15, 2006

SALE is a four letter word!

It all began when I opened my mail on Monday.  It was a simple folded card from Catherine's Clothing Store.  For those of you unfamiliar with Catherine's, it sells plus size clothing.  If you're a size 14 and up, then Catherine's has glamour for you.  They also have sales, lots of sales, sales all the time!  The card that I received in the mail read Merry Christmas and included a coupon for $15.00 off any purchase of $25.00 or more made between December 13 and 16.  I am a frequent shopper at Catherine's and the store is generous with little perks like the gift coupon.

I reminded myself that Christmas is about giving to others and not buying things for me.  I also reminded myself that I have a walk in closet filled with clothes in various sizes.  (Ask a friend with weight issues to explain why I have clothing in multiple sizes in my closet.)  I did not need any new clothes.

On Tuesday, I almost threw the coupon away, but then I told myself that I would use it to buy a Christmas gift for someone else.  I slipped the coupon in my purse, secure in my giving spirit for the holiday season.

On Thursday, I had to go to Chapel Hill, about 30 miles from my home in Raleigh.  To get there, I had to pass a shopping center that was home to a Catherine's store.  I made it to Chapel Hill and was on my way home when the coupon called my name.  I'm not kidding; I'm certain that I heard it say my name.  Then it started chanting: sale, sale ,sale!

I was helpless to resist the call and the next thing that I knew I was in a dressing room, surrounded by clothing items that I didn't need, but they were on sale.  This story does not have a pretty ending.  I managed to resist the impulse to buy a pair of leather pants but only because my butt looked like a leather covered car seat in them. 

The good news is that with my coupon, my Perks card (another 15% off) and the sale price of the items that I purchased, I saved $45.00.  Of course I spent $119.26 that I would not have spent if I hadn't decided to take advantage of the sale.  On the other hand, I have a cool new outfit to wear for my holiday party, a soft burgundy velvet two piece outfit with glitter at the neckline.

I think that I need to make a New Year's resolution to avoid saving money by taking advantage of sales.

Holiday song is The Little Drummer Boy as performed by Jane Olivor.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shopper, you are. Saved money, you did. I'm a fourteen woman petite. Need help finding stores that sell nice clothes that aren't as high as Talbot's.  ANy suggestions? Bea

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I had to chuckle about your comment about the leather pants.  I can really feel your pain there!  when one considers that most of the female population is size 14 and up you'd think there would be more stores catering to the big and beautiful woman!  I bet you will look lovely in your burgandy velvet outfit.  You'll be the belle of the ball!  
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

the bergundy velvet outfit sounds lo-ve-ly... nice to treat yourself! it made you happy and that what's count. If you are happy, you'll make others happy with or without presents for them. You are most important. I loved the joke about the leather car seat. Thanks for your comments on the you tube link I put on my page.
Valerie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/

Anonymous said...

You deserve to spoil yourself!!!  I can relate to the various sizes of clothing in the cupboard.  I have the problem where when I left the US in 2004, I only had maternity clothes because I was pregnant.  There was no space for my other clothing in the suitcases (we packed up 3 years of our lives into 8 suitcases).  When I came back a year later, I still had the maternity clothes as clothing in South Africa is really expensive and again, we didn't have much space.  I was given a whole lot of clothing just after we arrived here, but it is a mish mash of sizes and styles.  So I understand the pull towards the sales.  I know that once I start earning a teacher's salary instead of an assistant's salary, I will be able to attend some of those sales ~ I need to look for Catherine's.  I don't think there are any in Burlington so I may have to come through to Raleigh!  Thanks for the tip.  Have a great day.  Hugs, Caroline
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure

Anonymous said...

Us girls should always spoil ourselves go for it.  Enjoy your party

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheria-Thanks for your comment! Enjoyed todays entry! Wish I could see the velvet outfit!!!! That song I spoke of is at Sugarslife
You gotta know her!
She's at http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/sugarslife

Anonymous said...

Oh, we must indulge here and there....I sware noone would do it for me if I didnt,lol..although I am a big Ebay fan I've stayed away because of lack of funds and not becaues the addiction doesnt continue..land of opportunity there,lol...I sware...designer stuff for cheap... I cant imagine walking into another store again...Glad to know you found a great holiday outfit....Its just one of those things that does make us feel good...~Raven

Anonymous said...

Hi there...I am so opposite.  I NEVER buy anything for myself and I wait till xmas and tell my husband to buy me gift certificates so that I can finally go shopping becuase by that time I have NO clothes.  I have a huge walk in closet and half of it is empty.  Oh well I will get there one of these days.  I just hate trying stuff on etc.  CAN WE SAY LAZY!  Anyway, thank you for the prayers.  I can use them.  Have a wonderful xmas!!!  Dina

Anonymous said...

Please please post a picture of you in your new outfit.  It sounds divine.  I can't live without fashion.  I am so happy, I hear I am getting a digital camera so I can take pictures of Doc, a wonderful clothes model, and me in some of my 35 hat collection.  Now I must go iron the new black pin stripe shirt I bought him on SALE of course in Mervyn's.  A $50 shirt for $23.  Then I bought him a pair of black pants to match in the thrift store since he only wears shorts if possible. He has the best pair of men's legs in shorts I have ever seen. Tell me about SALES! I enjoyed your entry and Merry Merry.  Gerry
http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/  

Anonymous said...

Hope you post a pic of you wearing the new outfit! :)
I, too have a closet with several sizes, LOL. Being a 'big' woman I have 22-30 in my closet!
Hugs, Sugar