Sunday, December 3, 2006

The American Way

I've been checking my journal alerts today and as always, finding humor, joy, sadness, and intellectual stimulation as I travel in J-Land.

I dropped by tks333's journal, Ramblings from the Edge, and I was particularly struck by his most recent entry.  It covers multiple topics, but his observations about former president Jimmy Carter's new book, Palestinian Peace Not Apartheid are what caught my eye.

I appreciate tks333's perspective but confess that I fundamentally disagree with his estimation of President Carter as a deluded dreamer.  I think that Carter is one of the most philosophically adept thinkers that has graced the presidential office since this country began.

According to tks333, "In my opinion President Carter is a deluded dreamer of such magnitude that even attempting to implement some of his ideas would see the absolute collapse of this nation and the end of the American way; he would have this nation abrogate its independence and ideals for the greater good of the world body."

His observations achieved their intended purpose; they made me think.  I love journalers that make me think.  That's why his journal is on my alerts.  I left a comment with tks333 that I‘ve  decided to share here.

The deluded dreamer managed to negotiate peace between Israel and Egypt.  There are many wonderful things about this country, but our biggest delusion is that the American way is so sacrosanct that it is superior to all others.  Certainly, part of the American way is to offer help and assistance to other nations in their time of need and we should be commended for those efforts.  But this is also the country that practiced slavery; implemented Jim Crow laws to continue the oppression once slavery was legally put to an end; the only country to ever use an atomic weapon not once, but twice; imprisoned American citizens of Japanese descent for no other the reason than we were at war with Japan (we were also at war with Germany but didn't imprison any German-Americans); maintained diplomatic and economic ties with South Africa in spite of its government sanctioned policy of apartheid; invaded a sovereign nation under the pretext of looking for what our own intelligence told us were nonexistent weapons of mass destruction; the list could go on but what's the point? 

 

Does this mean that we are the worst nation in the world? Of course not, but it does mean that we don't always take the moral high ground.  We make errors. 

 

What exactly is this American way that we must preserve at all costs?  Why is preserving America's independence and ideals more important than the greater good of the world body?  Rather than being deluded, perhaps Carter's is the only sane voice in a world of self-interests and blind patriotism.

 

That's my opinion.  What do you think?  Please feel free to agree or disagree; what I love about J-Land is the opportunity for open and honest discourse.

 

Speaking of which, I've been trying to decide if I wanted to write about actor/comedian Michael Richards public meltdown during his performance at a comedy club.  It has been a long time since anything has left me speechless. 

 

Like most people, I was dismayed by the blatant use of the N-word.  I can't even bring myself to write that word.  I don't use it, not even as some so called term of endearment when used by one black person to another.  However, I have family and friends who on occasion use the term.  They do not use it as a pejorative, but as a playful term, sort of an insider’s code of communication.  Nonetheless, it always makes me flinch and I tell them of my dislike for the word.

 

Many of the posts that I’ve read on the web chastise black people for the use of the N-word.  Some are from black people who say that the use of the word demeans us all.  Some are from whites that want to know why it’s okay for a black person to use the word but not okay for a white person to use it.

 

I’m in the camp of black folks that oppose the use of the word.  I cringe when I hear it used whether it is intended as an insult, a jest, or a term of endearment.  I don’t buy into the notion that the N-word loses its negative aura if black folks embrace and claim it.  I think that’s nonsense at worst, wishful thinking at best.  As for white people using the N-word, it is inappropriate under any circumstances.  Trust me on this.

 

In my lifetime, I've had the word used against me as a racial slur more than once.  Each time it felt as if someone had slapped me or branded me with a hot iron.

 

Richards use of the N-word as he chastised audience members for heckling him was shocking.  He made a choice.  He could have referred to them by other negative terms.  Insulted their parentage by calling them bastards, or SOB's.  But he chose to use the N-word. 

 

I have trouble accepting his assertion that he is not a racist and that he doesn't know why he used that term.  He attributes the use to his extreme anger.  What if the hecklers had been white?  He would have been angry but he wouldn't have used that term.  I can't separate his choice of terms from the race of the hecklers. 

 

I have lost my temper and said things that I later regretted, harsh, angry words to people that I cared about.  But I've never used a racial or ethnic slur in my angry tirades and as I've gotten older, I've managed to temper my feelings and my out of control angry outbursts are a thing of the past.  "When I was a child, I spoke as a child."  Now I've put away childish behaviors.

Perhaps even more disturbing than Richards' use of the N-word is his comment that "fifty years ago you would have been hanging upside down with a f*#%ing fork up your a**.  In spite of the comments to the contrary on You Tube, the reference is to the practice of lynching.  As practiced in this country, the lynching of black men and women did not simply involving the hanging by the neck until dead practices of the old west.  Lynching was designed to be humiliating as well as provide a gratifying spectacle for the watching crowd.  Victims were hanged or shot; some were burned at the stake, castrated, beaten with clubs, or dismembered.  Public lynchings were used as an intimidation tool, to keep black people in line, to make certain that black folks knew their place.

Between 1882, when records began being kept, and 1968, there were 4,743 known lynchings, including 3,446 black men and women.  One blogger (not a member of J-Land) proudly made the point that Richards’ comments regarding hanging black people were not really that insulting because they were inaccurate.  He stated that fifty years ago was 1956 and that he had searched and could find no records of any lynchings in 1956.  My friend HR, a historian and professor, assessed the blogger as being an idiot.  I agree.  I think that he missed the point entirely. 

When I was a child, the most horrifying story of a lynching was that of 14-year-old Emmett Till in 1955.  Visiting his cousins in the south, he allegedly whistled at and by some accounts, put his arm around the waist of a white woman.  The woman’s husband and his brother, beat Emmett until he was unrecognizable, mutilated him and killed him.  Both men were tried and acquitted by an all white jury.  In a magazine article in 1956, the men confessed to committing the murder.  Double jeopardy prevented them from being tried again.

I have been deeply disturbed by comments posted on various websites that have insisted that Richards’ remarks are no worse than what black comedians say about white people.  I don’t  condone any type of prejudice but to counter with that black folks sometimes say mean things about white people is to miss the bigger issue.  It is not about Michael Richards, it is about a country that lives in denial, a country where ignorance of history is the national pastime.  As I’ve read commentary on the web, I have been appalled at how many people clearly know nothing about the dirty history of race relations.  Not ancient history, but recent events of the last 75 years.  So many people live in a world constructed on misinformation and half-truths.  In the words of George Santayana, “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Michael Richards has apologized several times for his remarks.  That’s nice but I have trouble finding his apology meaningful.  He always prefaces it with the statement, “I’m not a racist.”   I’d find his apology a lot more credible if he’d begin with, “I have deep seated issues with race that until now, I’ve never acknowledged.”  As a matter of fact, I think that would be a good opening line for an honest discussion of race in this country.

Almost forgot, new holiday song.  Technically, this isn't a holiday song but I like it a lot.  It's the 23rd Psalm set to music.  The artist is Jeff Majors.  The CD is called Sacred.

> Psalm 23

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael Richards has apologized several times for his remarks.  That’s nice but I have trouble finding his apology meaningful.  He always prefaces it with the statement, “I’m not a racist.”   I’d find his apology a lot more credible if he’d begin with, “I have deep seated issues with race that until now, I’ve never acknowledged.”  As a matter of fact, I think that would be a good opening line for an honest discussion of race in this country.
___________________________

I love that entire statement and think that it is indeed a very fitting way to begin a conversation about race relations in the world today.

However, I have to add this: I believe that if the hecklers had been gay or Mexican, Richards would have used some other hateful language to strike a nerve, because that's what some people do when they're angry - they go for the low blow, whatever they think will make you angry.

Anonymous said...

PS, Sheria... how did you get your text to wrap around that picture like that? I want to do that in my journal. bea

Anonymous said...

I did not hear Michael Richard's racial slurs, but have heard of them, and I was shocked too. Unacceptable language anywhere, especially among people in the spotlight, like celebrities...

Regarding former President Jimmy Carter: no delusions there. He was and is a great world leader and peace-maker. Americans are far from perfect... we do make mistakes... we have good intentions, sometimes selfish intentions, sometimes narrow-minded and selfish intentions (the Native Americans can testify to that), but when someone hits us, we hit back harder. I have good intentions, but even I make mistakes when angry or if I feel some one was wronged. I sometimes forget to look at both sides of an issue, I sometimes think everything is black and white, good or bad... I speak before I think about the repercussions...

We are a nation to admire in some ways, but by comparison, we are younger than other great nations. Look at Great Britain's history, and Israel's, Babylonia - now Iraq has been around thousands of years ... But our government and nation is still in the adolescent stage compared to other older nations and governments. We get cocky, arrogant, overly confident, and think we are smarter than others in this world. But we aren't smarter... we're just different in our thinking due to the life we've been privileged to live in this great land across the ocean. We have a different perspective based on abundance, recreation, vacations, religious freedom, a democratic government, voting rights, climate, geography, and television news. IMO. I am American... North American... USA American... and my perspective has been shaped by all these things. I admit I'm ignorant on some global issues because it overwhelms me to think on all these things. I have to trust my government, with all its mistakes. I vote when it's time. And I have to live with the consequences. Good entry, Sheria. Bea

Anonymous said...

thanks for the wonderful entry. I did hear Michael Richards many times on the news and the computer. It's very sad.

Anonymous said...

Great entry, really enjoyed it!!! How do you wrap the text around a pic, I assume there's a code. Please send it to me. {{{ }}}
Blessings, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Part Two

Carter stated the following during the 2004 Democratic National convention;

"As many of you may know, my first chosen career was in the United States Navy, where I served as a submarine officer. At that time, my shipmates and I were ready for combat and prepared to give our lives to defend our nation and its principles. At the same time, we always prayed that our readiness would preserve the peace.  

I served under two presidents, Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower, men who represented different political parties, both of whom had faced their active military responsibilities with honor.

They knew the horrors of war. And later as commanders in chief, they exercised restraint and judgment, and they had a clear sense of mission."

Carter understood that President Truman did not act lightly or without much consideration. The atom would have been unbounded in this world sooner or later, perhaps this nation's usage had some measure of nobility, and dropping the bomb was done with a hopeful outcome of peace and the saving of many more hundred of thousands of lives then simply an act of evil.

Warmest Regards - TK
http://journals.aol.com/tks333/ramblings

Anonymous said...

I would first like to thank you for dropping by my journal and offering your wonderful insights and feelings on one of my journal posts. I am a firm believer that we are often made stronger as a nation, as a people and community, not by the unity of our voices but the divergence of them.

The founders of this nation were not perfect men but their vision of giving liberty to voice gave us all such imaginable power that few nations in the world dare grant such right.

In regards to your post I would like to say a few things. First I was not reviewing President Carter’s twenty-first published book but stating I wanted it for Christmas. I have read several of his previously published works and enjoyed them immensely.

Second, my saying Carter was a deluded dreamer was not to condemn the man’s noble works or degrade his thoughts but to say Jimmy Carter, farmer, naval officer, governor, president, Nobel Prize winner, is a political theorist; an idealist who sometimes offers up brilliant but grandiose schemes which are unrealistic and unattainable in the real world.
 
I firmly believe President Carter works from the premise that all men and women around the world wish for peace, unity, and harmony. I think that is a delusion, a sometimes dangerous delusion, and acts to alienates Mister Carter from the realm of realists.

Lastly, Harry Truman for the horror he might have unleashed on the world was right to drop the atomic bomb. It was a choice of the lesser of two evils. The cost of launching an all out attack on the Island of Japan would have taken a far more devastating toll on human life then the atomic bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Continued with Part Two...

Anonymous said...

The most divisive and potential destructive issue in the United States is not terrorism but racism. It threatens to turn this nation inside out and bring us all to the brink of ruination. I think when incidences like those involving Michael Richards occur; we should stop, reflect, discuss and not be afraid to admit our troubled past and accept that we still have much to do to see the fulfillment of the dream.

One of the great things about the web is the historical resources it makes so readily available. Below is a link to a page that includes the transcript and video to Dr King’s "I Have a Dream" speech.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

Warmest Regards - TK
http://journals.aol.com/tks333/ramblings

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post.  I love the picture you have chosen to include.  I, too, would like to know how you get your test to wrap around your picture!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

To wrap text around picture:

Select Edit Journals (at the top of your journal)

Go to the heading, "Customize your journal's appearance," and select "change the style of you entries and manage comments"

Check the box that reads, "Wrap text around pictures."

Select "Save."

That should do it!

Anonymous said...

Well Written Sheria! I am with you as regards your arguments about Carter. Also, I really think that you got to the heart of why the N-word is so offensive to many people. It carries a history of servitude and inequality with it that the word 'white' has never had associated with it. I really think that your arguments are sound and, although I do not know all that much about American history, I think that racism remains a deep-rooted issue. Hurricane Katrina revealed in stark clarity the underbelly of the American way, the class issues and the plight of those made poor in the US to fund the wealthy minority! So well written indeed. This was a thoughtful and insightful post!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

Since I tended my half Sudanese grandson for 5 years I became especially sensitive to anyone's casual use of the n word.  It just killed me to think he could be hurt by someone calling him this name when he was so ill deserving of it. There was in fact one person in a car that called out that ephithet in regard to him, but he did not hear it.  They also called my daughter a name because they saw her child.  I warned the men in my coffee klatch if they used that word I would get up and leave their company.  That is still a fighting word to me, because I believe we all have to work on eliminating the name calling that has ended in such cruel acts in our country's history.  I do not think any word grates on my nerves worse, because I think it speaks of the worst prejudice from whites, generally speaking.  I think that you are right about blacks usisng it, too, but some black comediians have used it to excess.  I think their use helps keep it a 'hot' word, used to cause pain.  

Anonymous said...

I agree the N word should be used not even in fun, Black people in this country tend not to use it, It is vile and demeaning

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

I was watching a documentary about Abraham Lincoln and the experts were praising this speech he made as the best he ever made. I wanted to jump through the TV and say, your so fucking stupid. Here is the quote although its from my memory and exact.  Abe said, referring to the civil war, That the men on both sides of this war believed in the same God. Abe then concluded that he didn't know what side God was on.


I wrote a comeback for this on my blog awhile ago and said, "Ask the African Americans. They knew what side God was on."

This seemed to go by the experts, they not knowing how profoundly ignorant this comment was and to state that his speech at the end of the war was his greatest made me want to puke. Its like saying that we don't know what side of the war that God was on in WWII because Hitler read the bible.

~Raven

Anonymous said...

typo from last entry....


although its from my memory and NOT exact

~Raven

Anonymous said...

Another great entry... I agree with you about J Carter... he was a man of Hope.  More of us need that.  And, Michael Richards is a nasty butt racist.  He cannot spin it.  And the reference to lynching was horrific... I felt like I would vomit when I heard that...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Again, very interesting, and I agree. De

Anonymous said...

a very powerful, great entry.  i totally agree.  
gina