Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Briefly While Drying

This is really difficult because I have a tendency to be rather verbose, but I don't have time tonight because I have to get the laundry out of the dryer in 15 minutes. If you let it stop and sit, then you have to iron stuff. I don't have a working iron. I keep the old one for nostalgia purposes; I don't believe in ironing.

I just read today's newspaper and New Hampshire has joined the list of states that have legalized civil unions for all of its citizens, regardless of whom you choose to union with, which I think is a good thing. I don't approve of the change in the law because I have gay friends, (although I do), or because I think that marriage is the apple pie of all relationships, (I don't), but because I find it abhorrent that we continue to have legalized discrimination any where in this country. New Hampshire joins Connecticut, New Jersey, and Vermont in recognizing civil unions; only Massachusetts actual allows marriage regardless of the sexual orientation of the partners.

I have never had one person who is apoplectic over the prospect of gay people marrying one another give me a coherent explanation of how same gender marriages destroy the institution of marriage. I figure that if the institution of marriage can survive adultery, spousal abuse, and an ever increasing divorce rate, it ought to be able to withstand a public commitment between two people who want to share their lives out of love.

So I am pleased that the state legislature of New Hampshire has realized that arbitrary discrimination against its community members is immoral and illegal. If  only the rest of this ass backward country could just catch up.

By the way, please don't leave me comments about God and homosexuality. I've read the bible and I have my own favorite verses: Judge not lest ye be judged; Vengeance is mine saith the Lord; Love thy neighbor as you  love thyself; Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I'm fond of the King James version; I like the language.

This poppycock nonsense that passes for religious objections to homosexuality is merely judgment based on prurient sensibilities. I am continually amazed at how much time straight people spend speculating as to what gay people do in the bedroom. 

Buzzer just went off and I have to grab those clothes, now!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your post and was not sure until the end if you were pro or con.
I happen to be con. I will not express my reasons since I doubt they will change your mind any more than you opinion changed mine.
I do not think my opinion on this is based on "pruient sensibilities" but what do I know it may be.
I do support recognizing civil unions but object to calling it a marriage.
This is a real issue for lots of people and I respect your opinion but cannot support it.
Have a great 2008, Bill

Anonymous said...

I loathe ironing to...lol I always think of my Mum every Sunday spending hours ironing everything even "Sheets". Civil Partnerships have been in the UK for a while now and I thinks it's a great thing, unfortunaltey none of my Gay friends have decided to marry, I say this because some of the weddings would be an absoulute riot, and I would finally get to be a bridesmaid. People need to get with the programme "live and let live" is my motto and stop telling others how to conduct their lifestyle choices.
Happy New Year.

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

Read your Heart Sopng September entry and thought it well done. I enjoyed it. Bill

Anonymous said...

so is that how i can get out of ironing??!!  lol  well...i'm sure you know that i'm a conservative gal and this is an area that we don't see eye to eye on... while i try to love everyone, that doesn't mean i have to approve or like their lifestyle.  i'm to love and be a friend regardless of religion, race, or sexaul orientation.  i'm not perfect and it is often hard to love some folks, but generally it has nothing to do with the list above.
gina

Anonymous said...

And if there is any wrongdoing... if it is a sin... then even they shall be forgiven. I don't think about what gay people do in the bedroom... I don't even think about what my friends and neighbors are doing in the bedroom... only one bedroom I'm interested in!!! <grin> bea

Anonymous said...

Don't know yet how I really
feel about same sex marriage.
Next time I do laundry waiting for the
dryer I'll go over it all again and
see if I come to any more 'light.'
I pray it is not sacriligious to state
that the subject is quite interesting.

Thnx for being bold enough to bring it up!

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/



Anonymous said...

Very well put Sheria.  I believe in live and let live.  How can two people loving each other with respect and wanting to share their lives together in that way ever be wrong.  You are so right.  Who am I to judge another.  I have enough planks in my own eye to worry about the planks in other people's!  :-)
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Ha, I LOVE this!  :)  Gee, when one has no iron, one has to get right to the point!  Iron is a 4-letter word.  Legalized discrimination is, also, just, well, not 4 letters obviously.  "Love one another......"

Anonymous said...

Basically agree with you on same-gender marriages. Everybody can do as they please, as long as they don't shove it in my face.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sheria and Happy New Year! I'm leaving comments as I wait on my laundry, lol. I do own a working iron but very seldom use it. Who has the time?

I don't feel passionate one way or the other about gay marriage. I love my gay friends and some of them are happier than a lot of the straight couples I know. So who am I to judge? God didn't die and leave me in charge. I do believe that marriage in general has gotten out of line with the Bible as I believe it. If ANY marriage survives these days, I think it's a miracle. Sad, huh? I know that sounds cynical  ... but relationships are hard. What is really corrupting marriage/relationships today? I feel the major culprit to blame is selfishness. Giving in to selfish desire is what causes one to make a lot the wrong choices in the first place. Whether the choice is adultery, abuse, spending money they don't have, allowing most of the responsibility to fall on the other partner, etc. I call it the, "it's-all-about-ME" syndrome. But that's a whole other subject and I've gotten way off the subject here anyway- lol!

Well, I just wanted to stop by and wish you a happy new year! Time to get back to my laundry. : )
take care!

Anonymous said...

One reason I love you is that we think so much alike. I have scratched my head also wondering how what someone else does in their bedroom affects my relationship. I also have never been able to figure how anyone can justify not allowing any two people to marry and not get the benifits (like social security and insurance) they have earned. Good thinking, dear lady. Go get your clothes.

Spencer

Anonymous said...

Hope those clothes came out ok lol.  Isn't it nuts, that my gay friends can adopt a child but cannot marry?  Even if they did, give them the dignity of being recognized legally as a married couple geez what's the problem?  I've never seen such loving, caring, loyal folks.  Great post, Sheria, thanks.  xo CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, and most of the posts I make I use the screen name 'outskut', which you can look up on google.  My primary blog is xanga.com/outskut.

I am coincidentally part of the majority of white people in this country, and so I am not like you in that I have not lived your situation, but I have seriously studied and respect it.  It is a radical, extreme effect of democracy in that at the heart of it it arose because blacks were easily distinguishable as a minority.  Whites could and then of course would distance themselves in their minds from blacks and it opened the door for persecution.  The Jim Crow laws arose, as did the similar laws during the second half of the gold rush that directly forbade the significantly more efficient Asian workers from being employed, by racism applied to the perfect machine of majority oppression - the democratic state.  Our state is not the problem, and it is debatable whether it can be used to help the situation.  In the past it seems to have helped a bit at times, but there have also been predictions that slavery would have been abolished far sooner in America had it not been for the sponsorship of the state.

Let's step back now and consider Senator Obama as president.  In the end it's not what color his skin is but what he does while in office.

Personally, I've been convinced that the end of the war on drugs would be highly beneficial to the black community not only because prohibition is utterly ridiculous and in corporate interests, but because for some reason it's been seemingly exclusively targeting blacks.  Additionally, the problem is exacerbated by the police and it's hard to see exactly how we can fix that.  Not the last but worst of all there's an attitude among black children and adults alike of economic helplessness.  It is the worst of all because they are in a deep hole and rut that only determination can dig them out of, and so a lack of d