Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Content of Their Character

Recently, my blogami, Marc, posted an entry that touched me deeply entitled, "Strong Black Women I Have Known."  It is an honest exploration of a moment of clarity, when he internalized one of life's best truths, that people are people, regardless of seeming external differences such as race. In response to my comment left in his blog, Marc stated that he "... would be intrigued to know when a black woman from your time and place first became aware of gay people, and what inner hoops (if any) you had to jump through to get to comfort and acceptance...." 

 

It's a good topic and one that I think is particularly appropriate as we celebrate the life and accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. this weekend. I will be participating in a celebration for Dr. King's life tomorrow afternoon. My sister's husband, Bobby Moody, an accomplished musician, is playing sax as a part of a performance that is part music and part spoken word. The director of the program needed someone to recite Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech and my brother-in-law volunteered me for the gig. We had a rehearsal today, and I as I recited the familiar words, I felt a sense of exuberance and connection with humankind that infused me with joy.

 

I didn't know that I knew any gay people when I was a child. The word that people used was "funny." I was a quiet child and managed to get away with a great deal of lurking about when adults were talking. I can recall hearing the grownups speaking cryptically about one of my cousins being funny. I was somewhat puzzled, as I didn't see that cousin William was any funnier than my other cousins; he was really lousy at telling jokes.

 

By the time I was in ninth grade, I understood that  some girls liked other girls. There were whispered rumors that our gym teacher was a lesbian. I didn't know if she was, but I knew that she was my savior, encouraging me to do my best in gym class in spite of my rotund physique and general clumsiness. I wasn't quite certain what lesbians did but I figured that it couldn't be too bad because Mrs. Gilchrist was so nice. But I did know that it involved sex and that people thought that being a lesbian was unnatural. Knowing very little about sex of any sorts, I was still at the age where I thought that all sex was unnatural.

 

My first meaningful confrontation with the issue of sexual orientation came about because of my ninth grade French teacher. She was in her 20s and she was white. The student body at the school that I attended was still segregated but the faculty had been partially integrated in 1970, my first year in public school.

 

My mother had elected to send me to the Catholic mission school, St. Alphonsus, when she learned that the segregated grade school that I would have been assigned to was overcrowded, understaffed, and only offered a half-day of education for elementary students. From kindergarten through eighth grade I attended St. Alphonsus. The nuns that taught at the school, the Oblate Sisters of Providence, were all women of color, mostly African-American, one Cuban. I loved St. Alphonsus and I thrived there; it was with some trepidation that I began public school in 9th grade.

 

My French teacher, Ms. Foltz, was a lifesaver. She was a wonderful teacher and I had a natural affinity for acquiring the language. She took a personal interest in me and offered to take me on a visit to her alma mater, Salem College. The school was in Winston-Salem, about a three and a-half hours drive from where I lived and the trip involved an overnight stay. I was thrilled and went home to tell my mother of the invitation. I wasn't prepared for my mother's reaction. She was opposed to the trip and when my father came home, they discussed it in hushed tones. It was years later before I fully understood their concerns.

 

It was a convoluted mix centered on my parents' estimation of my lack of value and their mistrust of any one who would be interested in me. They assumed that Ms. Foltz had nefarious intentions of a sexual nature; why else would she want to take me anywhere? My parents intimated that Ms. Foltz was "funny" and that it wasn't proper for a young girl to go off with an adult woman who was not a relative for a weekend. They had no basis for this other than suspicion of her motives for wanting to do this kindness for me.

 

I don't want to be unfair to my parents. They loved me then, as they do now, but in their world, no one did anything for you without wanting something in return. They couldn't trust that this unknown white woman had a healthy interest in me, that she simply believed that I had some special potential that needed to be nurtured. The world that they lived in, had grown up in, was not a world where white people typically did anything to help black people. Ms. Foltz was both a stranger and in their eyes, strange; they couldn't imagine anything good in her intentions.  

 

There was a happy ending of sorts. I had maintained my relationship with one a nun that had been one of my grade school teachers and I confided in her about my parents' refusal to allow me to travel unaccompanied with Ms. Foltz. She volunteered to go with us, and so Ms. Foltz, Sister Assissi, and myself set off to explore Salem College. I didn't end up going to college there but I learned a lot from the experience.

 

I don't know if Ms. Gilchrist or Ms. Foltz was gay. It didn't and it doesn't matter. What I do know is that each of them gave me the nurturing that I was so desperately in need of at that time in my life. They made me feel special, as if I mattered. They were good people who reached out to a  lonely, insecure girl and taught me that there was more to life than being pretty, thin, and popular. I don't recall consciously deciding that sexual orientation was irrelevant when it came to whether or not people were good people.  I just know that these two women gave me a sense of self that allowed me to grow into the person that I have become and that I love them for it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really care what religion people are or what their colour is, or what their sexual orientation.  I have always been a person who cares more for the type of person they are inside.  This is what intrigues me and holds my interest.  I have known many very physically attractive people in my lifetime who had truly ugly insides.  I have compassion for them as well as I think to myself what has happened in this person's life to make them so bitter, or ugly or twisted or selfish, etc.  I can see the Godly potential in every human being.  When I was in grade 8 the other children decided I must be a lesbian as I did not date boys.  It did not occur to them that I was a good girl and as my parent's had told me that I was not allowed to date until I was 16 then I would follow the rules.  I did not even know what a lesbian was anyways, but I can remember thinking it must be something awful or else why would they use it to torment me and make me feel so battered and sad.  It was a very unhappy time.  I can only imagine the torment this type of behaviour puts a person who is gay or lesbian through.  It's so unfair.   What's next?  Punishing a person for having brown eyes, or being bald?  I think Martin Luther King was one of the greatest men to have ever lived.
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Good morning. Thank you for such an interesting insite into your younger years.  I don't think I ever heard the word Lesbian until I was well grown up. and by that t ime it didn't really metter to me as by then I had realised that we are all different and to me at least it makes not one whit of difference.  Like you I had a wonderful teacher who was a lifelong friend Crawfie  she lived with her best friend Belle  were they in a lesbian relationship ?  I have know idea in fact I never gave it a thought until a few years ago when it passed through my mind and it certainly would never mattered if they had been.   Bless you for your lovey writings  Sybil x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife

Anonymous said...

What a great entry. It never ceases to amaze me the innocence of youth and how it never lets fun get in the way of other things. For instance someone being 'funny'.
I like m.a.j. below don't give a toss about colour, s/o or religion. Beauty comes from within a person. When we moved to our house, we were told about the 'boys' across the square and how we would love them. They were the most boring depressing homo's I have ever met.
More book entries please.......... Gaz xxx

Anonymous said...

what a great entry.  oh, if we could all love and accept one another, what a wonderful world it would be.  how exciting for you and bil to be involved in the mlk celebration.  i know you'll enjoy the weekend.
gina

Anonymous said...

People and their perceptions, never cease to amaze me I have touched on aspects of your post in my private journal, about the fears of the older generation and their mistrust of the motives of white people, while not realising that not hold the same view and can just see a child and want to help and nurture in someway.
Luckily my mother held no such fears and I have always had a great selection of friends across the different racial boundarys. My two best friends are gay white men, one who I recently spent time with in France and my other who I also travel with but both we help each other through lifes tribulations. I have never given a hoot about a persons skin colour because to do that would have left me bereft of the many friendships I have made over the years, and also I would never have learned about the different cultures that I have been a part of.
A great entry and as usual thought provoking and inspirational, and please more book entries. You and a couple of others have inspired me to chronicle the story of my own life, however its in a private journal for now, thank you.
Enjoy today with celebrations for Martin Luther King
Take care
Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

This is a terrific entry.

And i agree we should all except one another for who we are and that is why i made this blog 10 minutes ago:

http://journals.aol.com/lovevspink2/religionbeliefs/

type that in and go to my blog and leave a comment that says " I am a part of it"

but frist read the enrty.

Thank you.

P.S you are my new idol. You really do inspire me!

Sincerely,
Jadyn Codie♥

Anonymous said...

People are people, their own person, and on the whole their sexual orientation is their own affair.

Anonymous said...

A very thoughtful entry from you which I have come to expect.  My contention is that if a question comes up as to whether a person is gay or not the acceptance should be so general that it would not matter what the case was.  I have seen people suffer so terribly even from the determination from close relatives that they would not and could not accept homosexuality in a close relative, it was just too bad.  Think about carrying that kind of burden about, that whatever you feel is just too bad for Mom and Dad or an Aunt or even Grandma to accept, so the pretense of being normal must be carried out to 'spare' them!  Spare them!  What is more the mother might act like she was virtuous for not thinking her son was gay no matter what he did, that she still had faith in him.  Thus turning the hostility toward all people who are homosexual into a good thing rather than a bad.  So I have always taken up for the bisexuals, knowing that for them to come out as gay in my state and my culture would be like committing suicide.  They would have to leave the state to do it, and this just wasn't psychologocally possible for many.  Gerry  

Anonymous said...

Nice tune, easy to read to.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/