Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Southern Belle in Black

For a little over a year, I’ve been engaging in something new for me, I’ve been writing a book. It has gone much more slowly than I had planned but I have a lot more to say than I initially thought. Following is an excerpt from chapter one of my manuscript. I figure that it’s about time to try my words out on the public. If you are a regular reader of my blog, then you have read these some of these lines before, incorporated into other blog entries. My plan is to share a chapter or two in my blog over the next few weeks, sort of a trial run to discover if readers find my musings of interest. The book is a memoir about growing up southern, female, and black, The title was suggested to me by a friend. I like the title and I think that I may keep it.

Preface

Memory is to truth as a coffee filter is to coffee beans.  A pot of coffee contains the essence of the beans just as memory contains the essence of truth, but the details have been ground up and blended together.

My memories of growing up have been filtered through time and experience but the essence of the truth remains intact, although the details may have blended in unexpected ways.   These are my memories of being a girl child, born black and southern in a small town in North Carolina.

Chapter I—Me and Scarlet

In 1955, my mother gave birth in eastern North Carolina to a colored girl, sometimes a Negro. By the 1960s, I was black and proud.  Sometime in the 1990s, I became African-American. I think that I'm black again in 2007 but sometimes I'm still African-American. Born one year after Brown vs. the Topeka Board of Education, I grew up in a fully segregated society. 

I was raised in a mid-sized southern town, Wilson, North Carolina, in the heart of tobacco country.  Our town was divided by a railroad track.  In my childhood, blacks lived to the east of the track and whites to the west. My parents still live in Wilson, and the boundaries are no longer so solidly fixed. Black families have moved across the tracks and there are mixed neighborhoods on the western side of the city, but east of the tracks remains all black.

I love all things southern--grits, the summer heat, and the way that y’all sort of rolls off your tongue like molasses.  When I travel outside of the south, my drawl intensifies. I don’t make a conscious decision to sound more southern but I find myself tossing about southern colloquialisms and stretching words like ice, nice, and rice into multiple syllables. Perhaps it is a defense mechanism against the anticipated raised eyebrows that question how a black person could actually like being southern.

As a girl, I never gave much thought to being a black child in the south; it was the only world that I knew. We had first cousins that came south to visit during the summer but their world seemed a bit alien to us. I recall the unconcealed disgust my brother, sister and I expressed when our northern cousins put milk and sugar on their bowl of grits. Their parents, my mother’s siblings, left North Carolina in their youth, and my cousins had been raised in northern cities that I only knew by name—Brooklyn, Trenton, Baltimore, and Washington, DC. Strictly speaking, Baltimore and DC weren’t northern cities, but they were north of us and my cousins didn’t act or sound southern. 

My first connection to identifying myself as southern came about the summer that I read Gone with the Wind.  I was eleven-years-old when I checked Mitchell’s saga of the south out of our local library. I fell in love with Scarlett O’Hara with her first “fiddle-dee-dee” to the Tarleton twins.  Scarlett was everything that I was not—beautiful, adored, and high-spirited. When Mammy tried to force feed her and make her cover her bosom before attending the big shindig at the Wilkes estate, Scarlett stomped her slender foot and refused to be bullied. She cared nothing for convention, daring to dance with Captain Butler when she was expected to behave with the decorum of a grieving widow. She was brave and resourceful, facing down the invading Yankees and making a killer outfit out of a pair of old drapes.

I read the entire book in two days, pretending not to hear my mother call my name when she wanted my help with some household chore.  I suffered with Scarlett as she and Melanie fled from the Yankees, and lusted with her as Rhett Butler put a blush on her cheeks with his suggestive comments.  Of course, I was only 11 so I didn’t really know what he was suggesting. I cried my heart out when he left her at the end and felt Scarlett’s defiant sense of hope as she turned her eyes towards Tara and vowed to get him back, “After all… tomorrow is another day.”

That summer, my dad took us to the Starlite Drive-In Movie Theater and I saw Gone with the Wind on the big screen.  It was one of those rare cases of the movie being as good as the book.  I was enthralled and swept away as Atlanta burned.  When Vivien Leigh threw that vase at Clark Gable’s head, I knew that I was in the presence of greatness.  I wanted to be Scarlett.

I spent hours in front of a mirror trying to arch one eyebrow in pursuit of my best Scarlet impression.  To my great disappointment, I never mastered raising just one eyebrow.  Eventually, I came to realize that my inability to replicate Vivien Leigh’s quizzical eyebrow lift was not the only bar to my becoming Scarlett O’Hara. In spite of my childish ability to ignore the obvious, the face that stared back at me as I vainly worked my forehead muscles, was that of a brown-eyed, brown-skinned girl, who looked a lot more like Prissy than Miz Scarlett. It wasn't until I became an adult that I fully realized the irony in my Scarlet O’Hara obsession, the peculiar intersection of being black, female, and southern. 

 

 

I have the new Jill Scott CD and I love the song "Hate on Me." If it doesn't autoplay, click here to listen. 

 


Tags: , , , , ,

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it's great...i've always thought you have a way with words.  and...i like the title, too.  oh...i can raise one eyebrow!!  lol  
gina

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your writing. I must commend you on reading Gone With the Wind at such a young age. There is nothing like the love of a good book! Also, I was not born in the south but I NEVER put milk and sugar on my grits. Yuck lol. I would love to read more.

Anonymous said...

I think what you have written here is absolutely fabulous Sheria!!!  I can't wait to read the whole book.  Very well written and it leaves the reader wanting to know more!!  Well done!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed that looking forward to the next chapter ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheria as usual a great post, the fine line between Scarlett and yourself, of who you could have been and who you actually are, I look forward to more pages from your memoirs. As Always inspiring.

Take Care

Yasmin
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi, This is the first time I have popped by and read your journal (pointed to you by Marie, bless her,)  I think you sound just great...just loved your proposed book..will look forward to reading more if I may.  I will put you on my alerts.
Sybil x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoy reading your memories... and even more, I've enjoyed hearing you speak about them. "Do go on, mah deah!" (I think 'on' is a two-syllable word in this context!). I want to sign up for a copy of your book... can I get a discount for signing up early? <grin>.... that's what I did for John Scalzi's books at Amazon.com... saved a few dollars by ordering before it was released. I want to hear more of your childhood stories. This is one of my favorites of your filtered recollections, indeed! bea

Anonymous said...

Wonderful beginning to what will indeed by a beautiful recollection of the life of an amazing woman. I wish you all the love and words you need to get this published dear one. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I have been saving your blog all week to read with my coffe and I am SO, glad I did. The fact I am drinking coffee when you wrote about the connections with the essance of truth made my reading even more enjoyable.
I would love to here your voice as I can just imagine your Southern drawl..... I bet you  say FOWA DOWA FAWD and make that car sound so sexy!

Give us more Sheria, I can tell from the comments, we are all hungry for more. Now back to my coffee.

Gaz xxxxx

Anonymous said...

I certainly want to encourage you to continue to write your memoir that starts out with such a well written beginning.  I am sure many will relate who fell in love with "Gone With The Wind" as you did.  My first great book that so impressed and affected me was "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck.  I was just so happy to find a writer who understood farm people. And so comforted. I measured Steinbeck's ability to get at the truth with every other writer's from then on and they often fell short.  "Gone With The Wind" troubled me because my mother fell so in love with it, that she was forever succumbing to a handsome rascal.  If you have read my latest memoir entry "My Mother has an affair with Reed." you will realize that Reed was the personification of a charming scoundrel almost too handsome to resist. I decided there was a romance element in this popuilar novel that was dangerous to women like my mother.  I somewhat associated Scarlett's willfulness with my mother's.  I felt with my fat nose and big ankles and bookworm reputation I could not quite qualify as a belle, so I could resist what she could not.  You would understand that with your deep insights into the human condition.  I think your writing is so lucid and smooth along with the impressiveness of your reasoning power!  Gerry

Anonymous said...

I've been saving this post because I wanted to be able to pay attention to it. I'm a little ADD and when I read books, I sometimes have to re-read a lot because I have a hard time focusing. NOT THIS TIME!!! This was a wonderful read and I hope you're still working on it. When you finish this and it is published, I will be the first one to buy a copy. You have a gifted talent with the written word and I've been hooked since the day I stumbled on your journal.

Good Luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Wow.  I too am considered (by myself as well as others) to be a true, blue, black southern belle.  I live in Texas and I grew up loving the South, the land, the people, and the culture.  I too grew eating grits for breakfast.  I took baths in buttermilk every weekend, had my hair  washed in lavender or honeysuckle then styled every week, was forbidden to play in the sun for long periods of time and endlessly schooled in the arts of etiquette and protocol.  I think a lot of people I meet initially have trobule with accepting the idea that a young African-American female grew up being taught to believe she is as beautiful as the most beautiful women of any race of culture, and raised in the high country Southern tradition.  I'm glad you are writing this book.  Whitley Gilbert's do exist.