Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Searching for Connections

I've been thinking a lot about connections this week. I visited Gina's journal where she had posted two exquisite photographs of a spider web. Gina is a gifted photographer. The web looked so delicate; it reminded me of the hand crocheted scarves that my maternal grandmother carefully placed on the tabletops in her home and on the arms of overstuffed chairs. But spider webs are actually quite strong; their delicate appearance is deceptive.

I also stopped by to visit my friend Marc's journal. Marc is all about connections. When I think of Marc, I am reminded of a line from John Donne's Meditation 17, "No man is an island, entire to itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind..." In addition to being an extraordinarily decent human being, Marc is also quite witty, and he makes me laugh.

Marc led me to a blog by one of his friends. It's called kickin tina. There's lots of good stuff there and I've book marked it so that I may return. If you visit, be certain to read the entry entitled "everything zen." It's about connections or perhaps the lack of connection. It made me start thinking about how so many of us are constantly seeking connections, about how we often fall into pseudo connections, mistaking pale imitations for the real thing because we have deluded ourselves into believing that anything is better than being alone. A couple of years ago, I wrote a poem about the need for connection, at least in my mind, that's what it is about. The poem is below.

There Is Nothing Original In Suffering

 

For every poem about love fulfilled,

there are written

one hundred times one hundred of love forsaken.

 

For every promise of love forever,

Jove’s mirth fills the arch of heaven,

for it is written that love’s perjuries conjure laughter.

 

Abandoned lovers,

swaddled in denial,

believe aches of the heart

to be a solitary pain,

newly born to the betrayed.

 

And so poets,

knowing there is nothing original in the sufferings of the heart,

write one hundred times one hundred of hearts mangled,

blinding lovers to a knowledge

much sharper than love broken--

that it has all been done and will be done again.

 

 

The music is an a cappella version of a folk song,

Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair, that I heard

back in the 1970s performed by Joan Baez. The origins

are Scottish but it is also attributed to being popularized in Southern Appalachia in the 18th century. As with most folk songs, the lyrics vary a bit from version to version.

click here to listen to the song.

 

In full disclosure, I should add that the recording of the song is by yours truly.

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of several more interesting and beautiful pages Sheria!  I love the words in that poem.  They are so true.  Thanks so much for being a faithful visitor to my journal. I do appreciate it so very much.  I still havent' figured out how to put music on my page, perhaps one day I will. . .
Have a great day!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

You have music playing on your journal?!  Wow, that's cool.  (I can't turn on speakers here.)  You describe well a spider's web.  I may have to visit these journals you list when I have some time.

Anonymous said...

sheria...i am so honored that you would mention me here.  thanks for your wonderful words.  :)   i admire you so for your strength, compassion, and gifted way with words, that praise from you means a lot.   the poem is wonderful, but i'm sorry to say, i can't hear your music selection.  i'm off to check out the other journals.  have a great day!
gina

Anonymous said...

i like the way you wrote this; so we can see what's in your web.  grins, debra

Anonymous said...

thanks for the new journal links to read!

~make it a great day!~
         Sharon
http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/

Anonymous said...

You and Rod (kickin tina) have become my left and righthand blogbuddies.
Your poetry is really mindblowingly good Sheria. Even if--or maybe especially because--it makes you squirm with recognition. How often have I thought myself terminally unique in matters of the heart?  Of course, realizing how very human we all are, how much more we have in common than not, has turned into a great solace.
Still we do got to be different in how we use language to articulate our common experience. That uniqueness, I celebrate--in myself and in others.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember..."black is the color of my true love's hair, in the mornin, when we rise" I think Baez was and is genius - and your poem as usual, demanded a re-read just to absorb what you're feeling when pairing such words.  I always feel I know exactly where you are.  That's a comfort.  And how could one get thru life w/o "No man is an island" being a guiding phrase?  Great read.  CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/    

Anonymous said...

Sheria!! I had not heard this recording the last time I visited. I read through the entire entry, and noticed the explanatory words so small in the final paragraph. After reading the poem (twice, I might add), I thought, yeah, Sheria's words have passion... she has lived love lost and love found... but that you sang... maybe you mentioned it... you have the speaking voice of someone who sings... but I had not heard your singing voice until just now... WOW! sultry, blues... when you sing it, I don't hear the 18th century Southern Appalachia... my untrained ear perhaps? I need to hear Joan Baez's version, but yours is super. I copied it to my music collection, if you don't mind? I'm standing and applauding... amazing voice to match your amazing poetry! bea

Anonymous said...

Speaking of connections, I just stumbled on your journal after visiting Gina's.  Funny how connections are made through the internet.  Great journal by the way...I'll have to come back by and spend some time reading your entries.  It's very nice to meet you.

Greg
http://hometown.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/
http://hometown.aol.com/radar446/WaterfallTrekking/