Saturday, October 20, 2007

Music and Memory

I listen to music with my entire being. Certain melodies wrap around me like a clear blue sky on a summer morning; others wash over me like waves lapping at the shore; and then there are those that crawl under my skin, merge into my soul and I am one with the music. I heard such a song 20 years ago.

Public television was trying to ride the MTV wave to boost its viewers and began broadcasting a half-hour program showcasing movie videos from around the world. I loved the program; there was no XM radio in 1987 and music from other cultures was not readily available in any other venue. I was particularly fond of the reggae music that was often featured. However, one evening the guest was a young man from South Africa, whose name I had never heard--Johnny Clegg. He was accompanied by his band, Savuka. I began watching out of curiosity but I continued watching because the music spoke to my heart and soul.

Clegg was in his early thirties. He was born in Rochdale, England but in his childhood came with his mother to her childhood home in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia). Eventually they moved to South Africa where he learned to play the guitar and speak the Zulu language. Then he did the unthinkable, in defiance of the law against mixing of the races, and white and African culture, he formed a band with a friend who was black.  That first band was called Juluka, Zulu for "sweat." By the time I watched him perform on PBS, that group had disbanded and he had formed a new, interracial band called Savuka (we have risen). Savuka performed music that mixed Zulu and English lyrics, and African rhythms with European and Celtic folk music. In spite of the fact that they could not legally perform in public in South Africa, their music caught the attention of the people and was sold underground. Of course, I didn't know any of this when Johnny Clegg and Savuka came out on the stage to perform as I sat in front of my black and white portable television 20 years ago.

All I knew was that this white man was performing with a group of black men and one black woman, and they were making wonderful music and having a great time doing it. I eventually got their cassette and I played it over and over again. There was one song in particular that crawled inside my head and that has remained there all these years. It's called, "Asimbonanga," (we have not seen him). When I first heard the song, most of which is in Zulu, I couldn't understand most of the words, but it didn't matter. I knew that it had a message that was worth hearing.

I hadn't thought about this song in many years until today. I was chatting with a friend who had sent me a link to Carol Burnett's parody of Gone With The Wind (we all know about my GWTW fixation) on YouTube. As we were chatting, we marveled at how you can find anything that you want (sort of like Alice's Restaurant) on YouTube. When I got off the phone with her, it dawned on me that Johnny Clegg and Savuka performing "Asimbonanga" might be on YouTube. I hadn't heard the song for years. The problem with cassettes is that they don't survive being left in the car repeatedly when summer temperatures are above 95 degrees.

I found several versions on YouTube, but the one that I like is sort of a grainy video that probably dates back to the late 1980s. They sing the song just as I remember it. I've watched the video three times already. Whoever posted it also posted the lyrics and included the English translation for the Zulu lyrics; I've pasted them below the video. I hope that you enjoy it. I still get chills listening to this song; I particularly love the descant that the female vocalist adds towards the end. In the beauty of this song lies so much bravery and hope. Clegg is still performing, only now he can do it openly with his Zulu band.

 

Asimbonanga (We have not seen him)
Asimbonang' uMandela thina (We have not seen Mandela)
Laph'ekhona (In the place where he is)
Laph'ehleli khona (In the place where he is kept)

Oh the sea is cold and the sky is grey
Look across the Island into the Bay
We are all islands till comes the day
We cross the burning water

Chorus....

A seagull wings across the sea
Broken silence is what I dream
Who has the words to close the distance
Between you and me

Chorus....

Steve Biko, Victoria Mxenge
Neil Aggett
Asimbonanga
Asimbonang 'umfowethu thina (we have not seen our brother)
Laph'ekhona (In the place where he is)
Laph'wafela khona (In the place where he died)
Hey wena (Hey you!)
Hey wena nawe (Hey you and you as well)
Siyofika nini la' siyakhona (When will we arrive at our destination)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Johnny Clegg and looked him up on You Tube.
I too have become an huge You Tube and have a collection of my favourite artists and scenes from some of my favourite films.
As usual a lovely entry

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

I like music and their lyrics too!

~make it a great day!~
         Sharon
http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/

Anonymous said...

I don't know why, but the video brings to mind images of Nelson Mandela presenting the Springbok captain with the Rugby World Cup after their triumph over the All Blacks in 1995. Seeing the South African nation united behind a team that once represented apartheid was awesome.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

We have some TV channels over in the UK that play wonderfull music from the African continant (sp?), one being Nigeria.  I often watch them on rainy afternoons. I don't know the words but they seem to lift my spirit. The song you played did the same thing for me.
Then there are the soaps on these channels too, well that's another matter. Even the serious ones make me roar with laughter as they are acted out so badly.

Gaz xx

Anonymous said...

Sheria, I am ashamed to say that I had not heard of him... proof that I have been selectively sheltered from the world across the ocean, meaning I have chosen what I've read, what music I have listened to, what movies I have watched, what news broadcasts I should attend to. It is too easy for us to forget or to not even allow into our awareness the political and physical oppression that others live with in this world. I am so guilty of thinking, "That is how it is there, I am glad I live here." Life isn't good for everyone that breathes the air of our planet. I loved the video... it reminded me of how little I knew, how little I wanted to know about the world, about Africa. I'm going to find that CD... surely there is a CD... I want to listen to his other songs too. Thank you for telling the story of Johnny Clegg and Savuka... and for sharing the song and youtube performance, Asimbonanga in your journal. Did I tell you one of my third grade classes wants to focus their cultural art projects on Kenya? I will be studying many aspects of Africa: I want to know more. I'm afraid I won't be able to do it all in one year!!! (study Africa, that is). Great entry!!!! bea

Anonymous said...

What? You don't speak Zulu?

By the way, if you have itunes, click on "Radio"
and then "International. You can find stations catering to every region and period, even "Italian Folk Music," "French Pre-war Songsters" and "African Disco."

Greetings from Ptown! You're one of the few blogs I will follow from ANYWHERE.

Anonymous said...

your 1st paragraph just captivated me...i love your way with words...powerful!  i had never heard of johnny clegg...thanks for the introduction and video.
gina

Anonymous said...

Wow , Thanks for the sharing(video) I really enjoyed it and my son who is 9 loved it I played it kind of loud and he did start to sing , chorus :)it is now added to my favorites meaningful words love it thanks
hugs jo

Anonymous said...

Take my heart away!  I loved Johnny Clegg back in the day.  I'm happy to know he's still doing his thing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words, beautiful story!  Music fills me, my soul, my being, also.  I can't wait until I get speakers and can hear this!  Sounds like a fantastic mix of musical cultures.  My child's (Irish step) dance teacher toured in many countries, including at least one country in Africa, when she was a principal dancer.  I find the mixing of music from various cultures to be quite fascinating, well, when done well.  lol.  Obviously, this is or it wouldn't sustain.