Sunday, October 7, 2007

Humane Values

This entry began as an email response to my  friend, Indigo, regarding her comment to my entry, "You Might Not Like What I Have to Say." I respect Indigo and I value her opinion. However, as my email got longer and longer, I realized that I had not really clearly said all that I wanted to say in the previous entry, so I scrapped the email and wrote this entry instead. Thanks, Indigo, for being my inspiration today.
 
I totally agree with Indigo's assertion that all living things deserve to be treated with kindness and respect, to live without cruelty and abuse.  My point wasn't to defend Michael Vick but to question why we find it so much easier to build public fervor about his actions than we do about the human to human cruelties that go on around us daily. It seems to me that if we focused the same intensity of outrage on things like homelessness and world hunger, that we could do far more to eradicate both.
 
Vick is just one man, a small cog in the cruelty that revolves round us daily. If every person who is gainfully employed would donate just one dollar a month to charity, think of the number of issues that we could address--more shelters for the homeless and abused, improved housing for the poor, access to medical care for the poor, more feeding programs etc. Why do we accept that people living in poverty is a necessary reality when we have the power to ensure that all people have a standard of living that includes the basics of food, clothing, shelter, and health care? I'm not advocating that Vick and others who abuse animals be allowed to escape all punishment but I am frustrated and disgusted that one individual's participation in abusive acts is garnering far more public outcry than the ongoing, non-stop, societal failure to take care of those among us most in need of our help.
 
What profoundly disturbs me about the intensity of the let's crucify Michael Vick syndrome is that it allows us to perceive ourselves as humane and caring without having to really do anything that is humane or caring. How much effort does it really take to be appalled by the abject cruelty of dog fighting? But what does our disapproval and dismay really cost us? Nothing, absolutely nothing and when we are done with our outrage, we go back to our lives as before. We are not better for the experience; we are not kinder; we don't recognize our responsibility to ensure that all people have food, clothing, shelter, and access to health care. We will continue to support election of officials who run on platforms of non-caring; the politician who adamantly promises no new taxes and declares that the illegal immigrants are the source of all our problems; the politician who asserts that the single most important issue is family values and that he/she will work to guarantee that the alleged sanctity of marriage remains inviolate by denying the rights of others based on their sexual orientation. We will not stop to consider that as painful as taxes may be, that they support the infrastructure of the social programs that care for needy. We do not see that in denying the rights of consenting adults to love whom they choose, we are violating the very family values that we espouse to support. Ultimately, we also are not really taking any meaningful steps against animal cruelty. We simply choose to ignore the cruelty inherent in the raising of most of the animals that eventually end up on out tables. However, we are able to feel satisfied that we responded humanely to the actions of these despicable men involved in the dogfighting business; satisfied that we are not like Michael Vick and his partners in crime. So satisfied that we go back to our lives as usual instead of raising a public outcry demanding that all beings receive the care, respect, and lives free from abuse and cruelty to which they are entitled.
 
I think that as a society  we have numbed ourselves to any sense of being our brother's keeper. Certainly there are individuals who engage in charitable activities and show concern for those who are less fortunate. However, as a society, we tend to abdicate collective responsibility for taking care of those who for whatever reason are unable to provide for themselves. We waste a great deal of energy focusing on whether or not they are deserving of our concern and care. I don't understand the concept of deserving of help; am I not my brother's and sister's keeper? Don't they deserve my help simply because they exist?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to The Chroncile of Philanthropy, Americans give $866 per person in charity a year. (That's dividing $260 billion by 300 million people).  The problem is not the lack of personal generosity in this country, it's the distorted concentration of wealth and its distribution. The top .01% of this country could easily share enough wealth to pull the bottom 10% of this country out of poverty. But they also are overwhelmingly on the right, and give on average a smaller percentage of their income to charity than you or me. Most of them believe if they have it they must deserve it, and the vast majority of them attempt to pay as little tax as possible, as if the government is some alien force that flushes the money down the toilet instead of spending it on social security, Medicare, schools, highways, the criminal justice system and defense. That's last one is the only segment they don't begrude their tax dollars going to, because most of that money goes right back into their pockets via arms deals and oil consumption, and our soldiers are fighting for their continued ability to make obscene amounts of money with which they continue to hijack the political process.
The real tragedy is the voters who keep voting to retain the politicians who perpetuate this system, as they somehow hope they themselves will make it into this top 01%.  They vote their fantasies, not their self-interest, and ironically--after bankruptcies and Iraq Wars that kill their children--they suffer as much as they one who voted for change.
I don't think the problem is not that people don't care. It's that so many of them just don't understand.

Anonymous said...

You're getting more focused now, while being interesting originally as well.

A couple points -- some people are working poor and sometimes I think that they fall into the cracks even more so than the unemployed (services sometimes only cover thee most desperately needy whom I'm glad if they can receive needed assistance but sometimes others do, also), and that itself is a shame, including lack of adequate health care, etc.
I clean up after and get meds when needed for my pets, and I do that when needed for my father (and certainly would and have for my daughter, but blessedly she doesn't require either right now albeit those orthodontist visits are not cheap).  I'm so tired right now I can't think further on your post, but good points to ponder here.

Anonymous said...

"We waste a great deal of energy focusing on whether or not they are deserving of our concern and care. I don't understand the concept of deserving of help; am I not my brother's and sister's keeper?"

This is the question I struggle with, for I think I do have a responsibility toward any needy person who asks me for help... I don't think it should just fall on the minister in the church, or a church fund, or the city or the county funds, because if it only fell on organized groups to care for those in need, too many will be left unnoticed, uncared for, and in great need, whether we think they deserve it or not. I agree, it isn't about who deserves food, shelter, clothing, heat, etc... it's about are we going to step in to get involved, to help a needy neighbor,whether we like them or not, whether we approve of their lifestyle or not, whether we are their friend or not. I've ignored people in the past on the grounds that they made their choices, they put themselves where they are... they spent money in good times, and did not prepare for the lean and difficult times (like when they were out of a job, or sick). I've been judgmental toward them, and did not help them because they squandered what they had, and then they came to me asking for help. Yes, I'm guilty, I've judged who is deserving and who isn't. I am not proud of it, but it has happened many times. I'm trying to change that with my new eyes and heart. I pray for a compassionate heart every day.

One day I may need that same compassion. bea


http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/

Anonymous said...

Our country faces a crisis of humanity.  As a dog-lover, I want only bad things to happen to Vick -- and maybe that brings my own humanity into question.

Russ

Anonymous said...

I love it when I inspire people (winks). I understand where your coming from, I know the fusteration of it all. I have entered my 40's with very little thought to myself. I have a total of 2 pairs of threadbare jeans and most days grab one of Doc's t'shirts. Yet I'm happier than I've ever been, because I do what I can, where and when I can. I've gone to AA meetings and seen someone trying to change their life, they don't want to spend their last dollar on booze. Yet the last dollar won't buy them enough food for the week. Doc and I went out and bought several bags of groceries and dropped it off. They ate better that week than we did. It's was helping a solution instead of judging the problem. I'v donated money, clothing and time at my local Woman's shelter, babysat kids so they could go on job interviews. Worked the food kitchens on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Dropped off toys to children's wards. Yet still find a way to take in and re-home all the strays I do. If I can do all this with almost no extra money, why can't those who are better off do even a 1/4 of my own efforts? I'm one person yet I'm making a difference, I would honestly say I'm richer than the wealthy who make up a 1/3 of our populance. How? My spirit understands the true value of life. Perhaps that's what this country needs to do, is spend some time on learning the value of compassion, and the true meaning of humanity. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

It isn't Vick....not specifically, although I abhor what he did. I think we just often do that with STRANGERS. I bet some people bit**ing have been abusive with animals.
Many people are not doers, they are talkers.
I once stood in line at a grocery store listening to a man complain behind me while a woman in a wheelchair obviously took too long for him.  I turned around to defend her & he had a FREE TIBET shirt on.  I burst out laughing & said:  Free Tibet but kill the disabled.  He was not amused.
As a country, by & large, we talk the talk, but do not walk the walk. It's terrible how the elderly are being treated ~ we say & then you find out some of the people saying it treat the elderly around them as a burden, leaving them lonely & uncared for.
Swaggart brought Gorman & Bakker down, all the while visiting hookers himself.
We moan & place blame,which is MUCH EASIER than doing anything to solve our country's problems, but it is often quite hypocritical & not followed up by true believing action.


~Mary

Anonymous said...

Cruelty is wrong in any way shape or form, whether it is directed at the elderly, the poor, animals, the disabled.  We should treat any cruel act with the disdain and horror it deserves.  Actions do speak louder than words.
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I found this entry to be provocative to the point that after reading it and viewing Mary Jo's entries on focusing on the children of need and stark photos I went home and wrote an entry called Observing Children of Poverty.  What I have tried to do with the many mothers I encountered who were having such trouble raising their kids with all the problems that beset the poor and poverty stricken I would go about and try to talk to all my neighbors on a regular basis.  I saw that support from family figures seemed to be the mos thelp in making a difference.  I could not provide them monetary help as I was having a tough tme surviving myself but I saw my descent into poverty as an opportunity to share my insight with them, and above all, my caring.  I would question them quite extensively about their pasts and how they come to end up there, usually alone and without the help of the fathers of the children.  I thought I could be a stabllizing figure in the neighborhood as could my children.  My daughter became well known at the high school providing the same kind of interest in everyone.  She was elected student body president, and was valedictorian.  My son was a drug and alcohol free basketball player who certainly had a good effect on other members of the team, and his grades were good, and he never acted above anybody of a different race. Stuff like this there are so many ways to help.  I could not possibly cover my thinking about these children in one entry, so will be doing more.  Good thinking!  Gerry  

Anonymous said...

I must say, when I read some of the message boards and extremely ugly remarks about this man and what should be done to him, I realized - knowing as you say, Sheria, there are FAR more worthy ways to help people - that many were using this platform with license to spew bigotry and hate.  It was as if Vick's deed gave permission to small hateful minds to yell about castrating him!  The balance is out of order here, yes?  Why not put that fervor into getting better housing or a more reasonable, FAIR health care system, etc.  Why did all this incredible bigotry pour out?  Because Mr. Vick is black.  Is that not the real truth?  He was black, in the spotlight for cruel acts, easy prey to bias.  We should be ashamed.  Do those people matter?  They're voters.  CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

I so appreciate your article and understand firmly. I had gotten to the pont of being sick reading so much hate targeted at Mr. Vick. Some of the things suggested to be done to him were, in my mind, off the chart which caused me to  to suspect a more in depth concern or problem existed. I couldn't grasp how some could show such inhumane treatment in the presence of their children and some of these same people in their writings expressed Christian ideals. There was so much venom expressed I couldn't get it to make sense to me. I consider all living creatures "beings" but ther wsa no way I could rectify the cause of this intensity which began with reports of his cruelty to animals. My confusion lied in the lack of that intensity with similar issues of human abuse or needs.

In agreement with your expressions I too felt that frustration at how we could allow the many homeless to roam and domestic abuse to flourish without the same level of fervor. How can we ignore the needs of abused children who exist on the very edge of most social budgets yet create a tornadic whirlwind of protest about abuse of a dog.

Anonymous said...

thanks sheria for your reference to carly's "grown-up" lyrics, you were right, they are a perfect fit!  i wanted to let you know that you make so many good points, and sometimes, i am overwhelmed with all the things that come to mind to when reading one of your entries; that is not a criticism, that is a good thing!  you always make me think!  i esp love this point:

"If every person who is gainfully employed would donate just one dollar a month to charity, think of the number of issues that we could address--more shelters for the homeless and abused, improved housing for the poor, access to medical care for the poor, more feeding programs etc. Why do we accept that people living in poverty is a necessary reality when we have the power to ensure that all people have a standard of living that includes the basics of food, clothing, shelter, and health care?"

kudos, debra