Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Me

Poets are eternally faced with the question, to share or not to share?  (sorry WS) There is a strong compulsion to share, to send your words out to others in a revelatory process similar to flashing.  Of course, people often don't respond favorably to flashers.

I've shared my poetry over the years and received mixed reactions.  My sister is my biggest fan and I thank her for that.  I shared some of my poetry with a man that I met about a year ago.  He is a charming man but he wasn't charmed by my poetry.

Interestingly enough, although I wanted him to like my poetry, his lack of appreciation has not deterred me from continuing to share.  Flashing is a compulsive disorder.  From time to time, I will be posting my poetry here.  If you don't like it, please feel free to cover your eyes and look away.

 

To Be Black and To Be Southern is a Fine Contradiction

 

I know about mint juleps…

how the ice should be fine,

the mint leaves fresh,

the cup silver and properly chilled.

I know that ice and nice and rice

are all multisyllabic,

that pen is pin,

that Mary is merry

and quite a belle

as she promenades in her summer chiffon.

I know all these things

as well as I know the dark ghosts

who somberly bend and lift in Mississippi’s fields,

who mutely swing in Alabama’s trees,

who sing “Steal Away Jesus”

in hidden corners of Carolina woods,

whose names are the names of my mothers and my fathers.

 

I know that past and present intertwine

like honeysuckle steals round the oak,

so I gather the remnants that are my heritage,

fashioning them unto myself.

 

To be black…

To be southern…

SR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, howdy.  i'm also 51, female, white but now that i live in florida, concentrate on my tan.  being irish/german, 3rd or 4th generation, i was a pale face, except for the freckles.  i didn't appreciate them when i had them in abundance. i'm from new jersey but live in florida since 2004.  i write too.  although i modified the reference of prose so i could call what i wrote that.  i left my computer in NJ, losing most of what i wrote and a piece of myself for every line.  some of it was commited to paper. if i can find that notebook, i would love to share mine as well.  i have only accessed this one entry but i really enjoyed 'to be black &, etc.'  the rhythm lulled me then the thought or picture snuck up on me when i finished each thought.  i'm sure i haven't fully realized it and would need to re and re read it.  i re watch favorite movies, read gone with the wind about 10 times (starting at about 11 years old).  re read 'the shining', 'salem's lot', "The Prophet", my favorite essay is 'about giving'. and i never tire of rereading my own work, especially when i think i've turned a phrase like no one else ever has before.  my favorite 'first impression' line is 'i know that past and present intertwine like honeysuckle steals round the oak, so i gather the remnants that are my heritage'.  i have a clear picture of the intangible remnants are being gather like flowers.

i have an affinity with honeysuckle, although in new jersey, it steals round cyclone fences.  i think i would have prefered your backdrop but it still grabs you by the nose and regardless of your surroundings, suddenly, all you can think is 'honeysuckle'.  it's late and i really have a timeclock agenda.  i'm glad i stumbled across your journal and look forward to revisiting.