Sunday, May 11, 2008

What's In A Name?

My friend, BT, began sending emails to a small group of us, who are addicted to the presidential nomination race, several weeks ago. Everyone now emails everyone with personal observations, news story links, and primary humor.

I received this email from AT, another member of the group today:

you know, I've changed my mind about Barack.  I now no longer support him for president because I am very concerned that the people of West Virginia will be uncomfortable:  Click to read the LA Times news article.

Naturally, I went to the LA Times story to check out what dire words could be responsible for such a change of heart. To my horror, the story was exactly as AT stated and I immediately began to share his concern about the people of West Virginia.
 
According to the news story,
Obama may have emerged from his double-digit victory over Hillary Rodham Clinton in North Carolina and his razor-thin loss in Indiana on Tuesday with a virtual lock on the Democratic nomination. But, his performance did little to reassure political leaders here [West Virginia] concerned by his sagging numbers among once-loyal white Democrats, who have steadily abandoned their party over the last several presidential elections.
I was particularly taken by the concern expressed by lawyer Clyde M. See Jr., a former Democratic speaker of the West Virginia House of Delegates and two-time gubernatorial candidate. He considers Senator Obama to be a "fine speaker," but worries that, "There's a lot of bigotry in the country, not just West Virginia."
 
I've never been to West Virginia but I have known a few people from various parts of West Virginia. I even had a romantic relationship with a man from West Virginia. Of course, he dumped me and I've been sort of ticked off about it ever since but I don't hold the entire state of West Virginia responsible. (Steve W. if you're reading this, I am so over you.)
 
I began to wonder if perhaps the LA Times reporter was getting a bit over excited about race relations in West Virginia. Over the years, there have been multiple occasions when people have shared their sympathy over my unfortunate status of being black and southern. They always seem a bit surprised when I reassure them that I love living in the south. Most of these people are well-meaning non-southerners who assume that no black person in her right mind would willingly choose to live in the south. There are days when I feel as if I may be a brick shy of a load, but mostly I'm in my right mind.
 
Then my mind began to wander as I tried to figure out if West Virginia was really a part of the south. Originally a part of Virginia, West Virginia bears the distinction of being the only state created by seceding from a confederate state. West Virginia was admitted to the Union as a separate entity from Virginia on June 20, 1863. People that I know from West Virginia don't always agree as to whether it's a part of the south. However, as most of those people have more of a drawl than I do, I'm calling them southerners whether they like it or not.
 
As I was pursuing this line of thought, I realized that I had not finished reading the LA Times article. and I set about doing so. As I continued to read, I realized that the reporter had chosen to focus on a particular W. Va.area, Hardy County, with a population that is 97% white. (Per the 2000 census, the state of W. Va. is 96% white.)
 
According to the LA Times, Hardy County is "as conflicted as any rural and working-class Democratic bastion as it struggles to adjust to the likely prospect of the party nominating its first African American presidential candidate."
 
I couldn't help but wonder if the white people that I know, some of whom I count as close personal friends, knew that they were conflicted about voting for Barack Obama. I should point out that all the white people that I know didn't vote for Obama, but neither did all the black people that I know. However, a lot of white people in North Carolina voted for Obama in the primary, enough to give him nearly a 15 point lead over Senator Clinton. Maybe they didn't know that they were conflicted.
 
I was starting to get really confused and worried about the conflicted folks in West Virginia, and I began to think that perhaps I should follow AT's lead and stop supporting Senator Obama.
 
As I wrestled with my unsettled feelings, I continued to read the news story that had gotten me so worked up regarding my conflicted neighbors in West Virginia, and I came across the comments made by a Mr. Vetter, 64, a farmer and lifelong Democrat who regrets voting for Bush in 2000.
 
"I've got 50-some guns, and I wasn't crazy about Obama's talk about small towns," said Sam Vetter,... "Besides," he added, "Obama just doesn't sound right for an American president."
 
As Vetter's words sunk in, I had what Oprah calls an "A-ha moment," a moment of life changing insight that provides you with the solution to what troubles your mind. I didn't have to stop supporting Barack Hussein Obama, all I had to do was persuade him to change his name! Vetter said it, "Obama just doesn't sound right for an American president!" That's why the people of W. Va. are so conflicted, Obama's name is just all wrong for an American president.
 
I immediately began to think of some possibilities and I think that I've hit on one. I need to write the current owner and ask if he minds if Senator Obama borrows his name.  It's a solid name, an American name. After all, the holder of this name has had a long political career. As soon as I get all the legal obstacles cleared, I'm going to have a long talk with Senator Obama to persuade him that he needs to change his name to Newt Gingrich.



 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did get a laugh out of this entry.  I am sure there is going to be a lot more such opinions coming out as people begin to do some soul searching about whether they can vote for a candidate less than white but not entirely black!  Senator Obama looks very acceptable to me, and I am hoping that he will grow on people which I think he just might if he can manage to snare the candidacy away from Hillary who I don't think is using particularly good judgment about who would be the best one to lead our country and beat McCain. No matter what she has been damaged by Bill's behavior while in office, but I suppose it is hard for her ambitions to die considering how positive some Americans have been about her candidacy.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

I think most people who would be "conflicted" for the stated reason, are, well, people that talk a lot about these things in the 7-11 or a day bar, but don't actually vote because something comes up that day, like beating their wife, or being picked up for back child support(you can delete the whole comment later ;-0).

I have some concerns of late with the candidates available to me, but not these concerns, I assure you. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I thought for sure you were going to say "Barry O'bama"

Anonymous said...

And you know Sheria.... Something you didnt bring up in this entry that Ive been hearing around the town that I live and just small talk and in some print in various syndications, is that  people are not comfortable with obama as pres because hes a Muslim and you know there afaid that having a MUSLIM man for president will being back the fears of 9/11/01 all over again and I dont know ive just been hearing so much about his religion more than I have about him being a African American Black Man.

I have been hearing that alot more as the time gets closer and closer to vote.

~ Christopher ~

Anonymous said...

As Christopher points out, there are still people who believe that Senator Obama's a Muslim. I hestitate to even dignify such misinformation with a response, but here goes. Just for the record,  Senator Barack Obama is not now, nor has he ever been a Muslim.

In addition, Muslims were not behind 9/11 any more than Catholics or other Christian groups are behind the bombing of abortion clinics or the killing of medical staff at those clinics.

Fanactics of many different faiths use their religion as an excuse to commit acts of terrorism.

All Muslims are not terrorists.

In fact, the majority of Muslims are not terrorists, just like the majority of Christians aren't terrorists.

This really isn't that difficult to understand.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Thank you as always for your insights into your elections.  I do enjoy them...I LOVED your final comment !!  Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to say Barry also :o)
Rest assured, two of your white friends in Indiana voted for him.

Anonymous said...

In our school, if a kid had the name Obama (or even Newt!), there would be nothing unusual about that! The majority in some cities and towns is not always white... perhaps it does sound strange to say "President Obama...or President Barack Obama"... but we'd get used to it. I'd hate to think that his name is a reason not to vote for him! He just has to be a great president, and follow up on his campaign promises... what we would expect from any of our presidents. Our country is still struggling to live the words of our constitution... I don't suppose our forefathers who signed the Constitution ever considered that some day the people they had working (as slaves) in their homes and fields could some day be not only free, but holding governing positions, such as Governor, Senator, or even President. The idea must never have occurred to them. Eventually, one state after another realized the contradiction (over human rights) in our Constitution and banished slavery. Change takes time. Apparently some changes take a long time. That Obama could possibly be our next president shouldn't be such a conflict because of his skin color, and that is what this is all about. The conflict should be over his moral character, his leadership skills, his speaking abilities, and his commitment to the needs of our nation in a changing world. But when you look at these areas of concerns, where does he not look good? Where does he fail? He could be our next president. I think people who live in towns which are 97% white probably have the most difficult time letting go of their prejudices. I would imagine that many would deny they were prejudiced at all. Bea

Anonymous said...

Newt?! Nooooo! LOL

Y'know, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about how "some people" won't vote for Obama because he's black. I have three words for those people: GET OVER IT. And they can feel free to join us in the 21st century at any time--it's actually kinda nice here, with indoor plumbing and all.

Criminy.

Beth

Anonymous said...

i really wish people could put aside preconceived ideas and prejudices, and look at issues and others with open minds.  i guess that's not likely to happen. anyway...your last sentence was hilarious!
gina

Anonymous said...

SPEW!  Now that name would be a riot........

Oh, I should perhaps go check in on myself.  Ya mean, I've been conflicted all this time, and didn't know it?  The editorials that claim working class, not highly paid white women look towards Hillary Clinton as their personal win, type thing, should speak to me, instead of having me think, wait, vote for her if you want, but you don't speak for ME?  I know that some people have prejudices, and some are just too concerned about the others who hold prejudices, but people should be careful generalizing.  It'd be easy to do, all the West Virginia jokes and all, but really, look at how many votes he IS gathering there now, even with the supposedly conflicted racist white folk.

Gosh.

Perhaps Ba-rock the vote, and O'Bama, aren't enough of name alterations (I've seen both, he has Irish ancestry, also).   Newt.  Newts the amphibian are also found in Europe and Asia, in addition to North America which, of course, also includes Canada and Mexico.  

On another note, the official commissions, et al, for the Irish Dancing world in North America consider Maryland as southern, but West Virginia is part of Mid-America Region.  

Anonymous said...

As Beth stated apparently people forget we are in the 21st Century. It's sad that color, religion, gender, even a name are playing into decisions on who is to be voted in for the next president. Perhaps the general population isn't as forward thinking as we originally thought. Then again Native Americans are still fighting to keep what little land they have left, so what do I know. To change your vote on the basis of a name is incredulious...My last name is Ravenwood, if you wanted to base my name on the fact a soap opera once used it as the name for a insane asylum - the assumptions about me must be quite interesting.

What we are NOT hearing enough about are things that we need to have taken in consideration for our next president; Questions of how they plan to move us out of the recession, lower gas prices and make food cost at the very least reasonable and obtainable. I would like to hear how they are going to go about ending the current war. Trust me a name is just that...there are far BIGGER issues on the table right now.

On another note congratulations on being one of Beth's pics for Guest Editor. A wonderful choice if I do say so myself. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

In my little sheltered world of Idaho, I have to say, I've become quite resistant to the name factor that more then one person has brought up as a negative about Senator Obama. Actually, when anyone's first line of persuasion starts with -Name focus- gender focus- or - race focus- I can pretty much bet when I ask them what or what not they like about one of those potentials actual policies, they become most flustered.

They look flabbergasted, because they really hadn't thought about the little details of political stands.

Rebecca, name me anything one wishes, because my name does not effect my views on what is important~~

Have a beautiful weekend