Wednesday, May 7, 2008

It's Been A Long Time Coming

I respect that everyone does not support Senator Obama for president but that doesn't detract from the the high that I'm on. There is no long entry today and I have no big comments to make. I've just had this song in my head all day, so of course I went to YouTube and found it. The singer is Sam Cooke; the song is A Change Is Gonna Come. It's a bit mournful but yet so optimistic. It's the optimism that I love.

A dear friend sent me the lyrics in an email this morning and I'm posting them here for my friends who can't hear the music except in their hearts; you know who you are.

I was born by the river in a little tent

And just like the river, I've been running ever since  

It's been a long time coming  

But I know a change is gonna come    

It's been too hard living, but I'm afraid to die  

I don't know what's up there beyond the sky  

It's been a long time coming  

But I know a change is gonna come   

I go to the movie, and I go downtown  

Somebody keep telling me "Don't hang around"  

It's been a long time coming  

But I know a change is gonna come   

Then I go to my brother and I say, "Brother, help me please"  

But he winds up knocking me back down on my knees    

There've been times that I've thought I couldn't last for long  

But now I think I'm able to carry on  

It's been a long time coming  

But I know a change is gonna come.


Tags: , ,

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I like it!

Beth

Anonymous said...

We are delighted with the results yesterday also, and thanks for thinking of Indy :o)

Anonymous said...

This song (one of my all time favourites) sums up that there is hope and change can happen for the better.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Sayeesha sang that on American Idol last night!  You were probably getting drunk on Chardonnay at Obama's headquarters--oops, that's too elitist-er, I mean, drinking shots of Crown Royal while shooting hoops--oh no, I mean, not that you would shoot hoops because you're black, but let's admit it, who goes bowling anymore? But whatever you were doing, it probably wasn't watching American Idol. Probably hanging out with your "dear" friend. (Unless you were talking about Michelle O., I'm jealous!)

Anonymous said...

Sheria, it looks to me that Obama will be the nominee. I for one am glad he will make it. Bill

Anonymous said...

somehow i knew you'd be walking on that cloud 9 today.  :)  it's really looking like he'll be the democratic candidate.
gina

Anonymous said...

:-)
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

You wree the first person I thought of about 2.30AM !! the other morning as I was awake and listning to the radio and heard the news that Obama had won through for your North Carolina State...I am I have to say very happy for you and of course for him and wish the Clinton would now stand down and let the battle commence...here's to NovemberX  Love Sybil x

Anonymous said...

Sorry just another thought  even if Obama has the most delegates can he still be voted against at the Party election thing ?  I just thought of that.  Sybil x

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, that's ME as one who can't hear the music, through my ears, anyway (except in real life), so thank yo ufor posting these lyrics!  I LOVe them!  I'm getting really excited again myself!  :)

Anonymous said...

I heard Obama took North Carolina by storm! Loved the lyrics..kind of reminds me of my life on the streets when I first left home. Thank you my dear friend for posting the lyrics so I could share this song, it means more to me than you know. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Something about that touches my soul! Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for being a "Guest Editor Pick" !

You Rock

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

Im not sure who I am gonna vote for yet....
Normally I am a strict republican...
But I have to admit, all the candidates seem to have good points so far...
I just want a President who is gonna spend more time, effort, and money on saving the united states instead of throwing money to other countries, when we have people in this country living in poverty, little kids starving, not getting a proper education, and not feeling safe to go play at their neighborhood playgrounds...
What happened to the days, when our kids were safer???
Congradulations on being a guest editors pick...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being picked for magic smoke's guest editors pic..
feel free to vist my journal about a crazy mother of 3 trying to lose weight and get healthy
hugs
Sherry