Saturday, November 17, 2007

There is something new under the sun

An old friend from my days as a teacher, has begun a blog. We both left the public high school where we taught in the same year, but we've maintained a sort of communication over the years via e-mails and a listserv of which we both were members. I seem to recall that he actually started the listserv to engender discussion about government, politics. etc. But I am digressing, I set out to introduce you to my friend's blog. He is one of the most interesting and thoughtful people that I know, and he writes quite well. I promise that you will find it worth your time to check out his blog, just click here to visit him. He calls himself the Self Sufficient Steward and you'll inderstand why if you check out his blog.

I also recommend another friend's blog that I have encouraged you to check out in the past. Marc is a Renaissance man; he works in a variety of creative modes including poetry and cyberart. He has recently created visual collages or pastiches that take works of art by established Masters--Botticelli, Da Vinci, Picasso, Sargent and others--and fashions them into new works of art by adding and/or removing visual elements that give the work a new perspective.  He has dubbed these intriguing images, Hy-Art (a merger of hybrid and art). It's difficult to fully explain what he does in words; you simply must visit his journal to see for yourself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so benevolent, often putting the spotlight on others journals.  i had already seen marc's, thanks to you, and i'm off to investigate the 'self sufficient steward.'
gina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for generously sharing these links with us Sheria!  I am off now to check them both out!  Have a great Sunday!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Marc I know & have enjoyed since my original journal. I will definitely visit your friend because  interesting & thoughtful people sometimes seem in short supply. Maybe I just don't know where to look :-). ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I will check them out. Nice tune by the way.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for the compliment. I truly miss committed colleagues like you, and several others we could probably both name.

My blog is slowly getting off the ground now that Thanksgiving is past and my latest self-sufficiency project is taking off. Parts for my DIY rainwater collection system will begin arriving by the weekend. Looking forward to 5000 gallons of drinking water instead of a low-yield well! Wish me luck.

I'll use the blog to document that project as well as to rant and muse about this and that.

jack-of-all-thumbs
www.self-sufficientsteward.com