Saturday, June 9, 2007

family stuff and tag moles

It’s been nearly three weeks since my last post but in the words of Willie Nelson, “you were always on my mind.”  When I’ve had a moment or two, I’ve elected to check out what others of you are writing about instead of making my own posts.  However, it’s 93 degrees today and I’ve ventured out once already. A friend of mine had a birthday recently and I met her and her husband for lunch. I’m officially in for the rest of today, air conditioning cranked up, and a big glass of ice water in hand. Ensconced in front of my computer, I’m ready to write.

 

But what to write about… world affairs…the political shenanigans at the NC General Assembly…Paris Hilton…more about my online dating adventures? Such important topics (okay, maybe not Paris Hilton, but my online dating adventures are certainly of importance) but they pale in comparison to the interesting conversation that I had with my sister last night.

 

My sister and her husband live less than a mile from me. I selected the location for my house because she was already living in the neighborhood.  We talk almost daily, usually by telephone. Her husband, Bob, cannot fathom why we don’t just visit in person and he is particularly baffled by our habit of watching television programs together over the telephone.  My response is simple; I know what she looks like and I don’t have to be looking at her in order to have a good visit.  Besides, when I get home from a long day at work, I like to get comfortable—kick off my shoes, remove those pesky undergarments, and slip into my favorite caftan.  It’s at home attire but not visiting attire.

 

So last night, after getting comfortable, I called my sister or maybe she called me; we talk so often it’s hard to know who calls whom. We talked about the usual stuff—which one of our parents is crazier, which one of us had last spoken with our mother (my father doesn’t answer the telephone and as a rule he doesn’t engage in telephone conversations), and whether Aunt Nellie Ruth or Aunt Dorothy is nuttier.

 

(Let me digress for a moment and allow you to decide for yourself.  Our Aunt Nellie Ruth is 78 years old and a widow.  She lives alone and even in this 93 degree weather, she will not open the windows for fear that some man may break in and molest her. Fortunately, one of her daughters has persuaded her to allow an A/C unit to be installed in one apartment window but she often doesn’t turn it on because she says it bothers her arthritis. Visiting her is like stepping into Dante's Inferno. Our Aunt Dorothy is in her early seventies, divorced, and lives alone in New York.  She has considered moving back to NC to be nearer to Aunt Nellie, my mom, and their sister Mabel, but she worries that people will think that she’s chasing after Eugene, a former boyfriend from her youth.  She hasn’t seen him in over fifty years but she knows that he still pines for her. It’s hard to choose which one is nuttier than Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, but I think that Aunt Dorothy has the edge because she also believes in root working and is continually wary that someone is trying to cast a spell on her or give her the evil eye. At family gatherings she smells all the food and refuses to eat dishes that she doesn’t know who prepared.)

 

Okay, let’s get back to my conversation with my sister.

 

My sister says, apropos of nothing, “Do you remember that mole on my neck?”

 

I don’t remember any mole but she doesn’t really need a response so I just say, “Huh?”

 

“I read this article that says that you can get rid of those tag moles (AKA skin tags) by tying a string around them.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“It cuts off the blood supply and eventually the tag mole just falls off.”

 

My sister has been under a great deal of work related stress lately and I attributed the mole discussion to that stress.

 

“Anyway, a couple of nights ago I decided to tie a string around the mole on my neck, but I couldn’t remember what type of string the article recommended that you use.  At first I was going to use dental floss but then I decided that I didn’t want a piece of dental floss hanging from my neck, so I used a piece of blue sewing thread.”

 

By now, I was really listening. She tied a piece of thread tightly around her neck! Thoughts of gangrene, flesh eating bacteria, and my sister’s head falling off ran through my mind but I tried not to become hysterical. “Oh my God! You tied string around your neck!”

 

“Not around my neck, around the mole.”

 

My vision changed somewhat; her whole head wasn’t going to fall off just a big chunk of her neck.

 

“Of course, once I got it tied off and looked in the mirror, I realized that I didn’t want to walk around with blue thread dangling from my neck but I had knotted the thread and I couldn’t figure out how to remove it. So I cut the dangling ends as short as I could and put a Band-Aid over it.”

 

Maybe with plastic surgery it wouldn’t be so bad or she could always wear scarves.

 

“Have you seen a doctor?” I inquired calmly.

 

“A doctor? No, you won’t believe what happened.”

 

A piece of your neck fell off and you have a gaping hole where flesh and muscle used to be? I kept my thoughts to myself, “So what happened?”

 

“Well after a couple of days, I took the Band-Aid off just to check and the mole fell away, just like that.”

 

“No hole in your neck?”

 

“Hole in my neck, what are you talking about? Of course there is no hole in my neck. It wasn’t that big of a mole.”

 

“Oh.”

 

There was a lot more drama in my imagined version.

 

 

 

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute entry. Now I will tell you about two of my aunts now deceased. They lived in the country and about once a week they would come in to town to Sears and sit in the shoe department to observe people. That gave them something to talk about until the next week when they came to town to get their "fix" lol Paula

Anonymous said...

you are so funny.  lol  actually, i'd like to hear about your online dating adventures...i married one of mine.  :)
gina

Anonymous said...

Sheria, your Aunt Dorothy and I seem to have something in common, i.e. "pining away for 50 years." But only that, because I have 3 air-conditioners in my apartment which should tell you what I think of the heat (I hate it). As for your sister, well I have three tiny moles on the front of my neck, but they don't hang or anything.  If you connected them, they would form a triangle.  I've been told they're sexy, and I do kind of think so myself.  I was sort of involved in an online relationship starting back in 1996 which progressed to conversations over the phone. I met him in a chat room and he claimed to be a stock broker from Gulf something, Alabama-white guy.  He was supposed to come to Chicago on business at one point. Back then, I was still really stupid and fell for all this b.s.  I even lost 60 lbs. (A man can really make me drop the weight) Of course, he never showed. One of the JLanders met her husband online; I can't remember who. She was lucky. Remember, most of the men you strike up a conversation with online are lying through their teeth. It's a matter of being guilty until proven innocent. Incidentally, a French person mentioned your name in their journal; I looked at it and I couldn't make out anything. You're famous around the world.
Deb

Anonymous said...

I've done this and it really does work!  I had this little mole on my shoulder and it kind of stuck out a little.  I tied some thread around it and it came off four days later with no scar or scab or anything.  

I want to hear more about the online dating!!!

Russ

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention--I couldn't help it.  Tuesday is his birthday, so I designed this birthday card for him.  I think it's funny; he'll probably think I'm still out in left field somewhere.
Deb

Anonymous said...

Sheria, you apparently have music hooked up to your journal.  I kept hearing somebody singing "Summertime."  I looked all over my computer, at my media players, but they were just sitting there.  I was just about to call up AOL. Please warn a girl next time, so that I don't have to think I'm crazier than usual.
Deb

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back Sheria!  I had a real giggle over this.  It's true though, that's what they do at the Doctors office at any rate.  I had one removed from my back a few years back and that's exactly what the Doctor did.  I remember thinking at the time ... well, I could have done that myself!  I, too, would love to hear about your online dating adventures!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I was scared too until I read the end.  Ha. Enjoyed this piece.  I wonder what our nieces and nephews and kids say when they are discussing their aunts and mom, who would surely be able to rival yours with nuttiness.  Gives you pause.  Gerry
http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/  

Anonymous said...

Sheria , your entry gave me such a smile this morning lmao , I have a tag also on my neck  , I tryed the string thingy too but you know what I tryed pulling at it... it killed me so i gave up I think now I have the idea of it thanks lol
Jo

Anonymous said...

Hi, Glad to meet you.  Gerri sent me over and I loved reading this piece.  I'm a Southern woman too and I love my grits.  I've known people who tied off their skin tags with dental floss and it worked.  There are tons of people who still believe in root work, but it sure makes me nervous.  lol  The movie SKELETON KEY was as close as I ever want to come in person.

Nelishia

Anonymous said...

Yay you're back...missed ya!LOL!!! Thank you Sheria for that laugh! You have a great imagination HEHE I also love the relationship you have with your sister....family is so important (crazy or not!):-)Take care!!!Love ,Shauneen

Anonymous said...

Very very cool music with this entry.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

I have done that on two skin tags and it worked, perfectly! They do just fall off. I did this two years ago and they have never grown back!
Gaz

Anonymous said...

You are hysterical! I enjoyed every word! and now I am off to read more about you! I will also be adding you to my alerts!

Kimberleigh

Anonymous said...

Skin tags... interesting that you can do that and save lots of money by not having to go to the doctor. Actually, several years ago, I had a "skin tag" removed like that in the doctor's office, though it wasn't a mole. It was a hemorrhoid! Only he did it quickly...poof it was gone. I didn't feel a thing. Now if I could have reached there, I might have done it myself. That was one procedure I needed help with. The most embarassing part wasn't the removal of it, but waiting in the waiting room. The nurse calls out into the waiting room, "Mrs. G, just where is this skin tag?" I glance around in a panic. There are ten people waiting, of both sexes. I can't believe she has asked this question out loud. I jump out of my seat, and pace quickly to the little window where she stands with my medical form. She repeats the question. I explain at just barely audible volume "It's not a skin tag, it's a hemorrhoid... just where do you think it is located?" She says, "Oh!" I return to my seat wondering how did they ever hire her to be the receptionist/secretary? It baffles the mind. I loved your story, Sheria. Thanks for visiting me this week. I did check out hte Brooks and Dunne YouTube link you left for me... you were right... I loved it. I had never heard it before! Thanks. Bea


http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/

Anonymous said...

This entry was hysterical, I was laughing over the conversation you had with your sister. On the question of who is more crazy.....I would give my vote to Aunt Dorothy lol! After reading about the mole I'm tempted to say your sister in enroute to becoming Aunt Dorothy. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I returned just to hear the tune again.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

Now that I've stopped laughing so hard, I can type a comment.
I haven't had this much fun in a long time and I've only read this ONE entry of yours. I can hardly wait to continue. I'm adding you to my alerts.

Take care!

Anonymous said...

You and your sis, very funny!  And I do the exact same thing when I get home, only my caftan is silky.  Aunt Nellie Ruth has the same problem alot of elder folks have, keeping the windows closed then not even using the A/C, fear of worsening arthritis I hear it all the time.  You're a good girl to stay in touch with family that closely.  Stay sweet - CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/        

Anonymous said...

I love your Aunts!
By the way, your words on my buddy's blog most certainly did not sound like those of a bllithering idiot.  (www.prisonsabitch.blogspot.com) I will forward the comment to him and he will muchly appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha thats hilarious sheria.. ( the mole story)

umm.. I dunno that sounds dangerious! the whole cutting the blood off to the mole in stuff lol......  

And yeah, your aunt needs to do something..... its Summertime now and its in the 90s and 100s and yeah..... thats dangerous for the elderly... and Being Molested? I mean... They would REALLY have to have some thought to do that like Crawl up the side of the window and pop the screen and all that... I dont think no one is gonna do that to her... BUT...... the elderly are set in there ways about things :P

Christopher

http://journals.aol.com/cmarlow330/ChristophersJournal/


Anonymous said...

That was so funny!  Yes, your aunts sound a little eccentric!!! As far as the skin tags are concerned, I was born with a long piece of skin from my ear as was my daughter. The dr. simply tied it off with gut (similar to fishing wire) and within a week, they fell off. Cut off the blood supply. No holes, just a much smaller, hardly noticeable bump. I have a little mole on my neck. I wonder ..........
~  Caroline ~
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure

Anonymous said...

Well that was certainly something I hadn't learned until today:)  Oh, love the family tidbits.  I told my newest guy friend just last night, "I never said my family was normal."  :)  Besides, wouldn't that make us ,well, more boring?  And, yes, DO tell sometime, something about your online dating.   Amusing, exciting, boring, whatever (hopefully enjoyable).  have a great day -- Robin  (p.s. -- I know exactly what you're referring to in the Supreme Court, which was similar to court action in my county, Montgomery County, Maryland, barring all school transfers now as they used to be based somewhat on race, as in, with the intent of keeping schools as integrated as possible.)

Anonymous said...

Oh Sheria this post was so cute and made me laugh out loud several times.  The conversations you describe having with your sister sound like conversations my sister and I have quite often.  You know me..I'm the family girl.  My sister and I can talk for hours.  And mostly about nothing.  I keep forgetting that you are 50 something because when I visualize you and your sister talking on the couch about moles in your face..and your sister's head falling off I picture you both in your 20's.  You have such a sweet YOUNG soul.  And the fact that you have someone in your family named MABEL is even cuter.  :)  Dina