Sunday, May 20, 2007

Me and Scarlett

Tara! Home. I'll go home. And I'll think of some way to get him back. After all... tomorrow is another day.


 

I was visiting the journal of a new friend, Marc, and I learned that Margaret Mitchell’s estate has selected an author to write another book using the characters that she created in Gone with the Wind. The working title is Rhett Butler’s People and it is told from Rhett’s point of view.  I wasn’t impressed by the authorized sequel several years back entitled Scarlett.  It didn’t live up to the continuation in my head of the saga of Scarlett and Rhett.  I did enjoy the tale, told from Mammy’s point of view with the clever title, The Wind Done Gone, published amid great controversy as the Mitchell estate tried to prevent its release. Eventually the courts ruled that it was a parody and as such could be published.

 

I first read Gone with the Wind when I was eleven-years-old.  I fell in love with Scarlett O’Hara with her first “fiddle-dee-dee” to the Tarleton twins.  I read the entire book in two days, pretending not to hear my mother call my name when she wanted my help with some household chore.  I suffered with Scarlett as she and Melanie fled from the Yankees, and lusted with her as Rhett  Butler put a blush on her cheeks with his

 

                               

 

suggestive comments.  Of course, I was only 11 so I didn’t really know what he was suggesting. I cried my heart out when he left her at the end and felt Scarlett’s defiant sense of hope as she turned her eyes towards Tara and vowed to get him back, “After all… tomorrow is another day.”

 

That summer, my dad took us to the Starlite Drive-In Movie Theater and I saw Gone with the Wind on the big screen.  It was one of those rare cases of the movie being as good as the book.  I was enthralled and swept away as Atlanta burned.  When Scarlet threw that vase at Rhett Butler’s head, I knew that I was in the presence of greatness.  I wanted to be Scarlet.

 

I spent hours in front of a mirror trying to arch one eyebrow in pursuit of my best Scarlet impression.  To my great disappointment, I never mastered raising just one eyebrow.  Eventually, I came to realize that my inability to replicate Vivien Leigh’s quizzical eyebrow lift was not the only bar to my becoming Scarlett O’Hara.  In spite of my childish ability to ignore the obvious, the face that stared back at me as I vainly worked my forehead muscles, was that of a brown-eyed, brown-skinned girl, who looked a lot more like Prissy than Miz Scarlet. 

                                

 

I’ve never completely rid myself of my Scarlett O’Hara obsession. I recognize that it is rather absurd especially as I was raised in a mid-sized southern town, Wilson, North Carolina that is divided by a railroad track.  In my childhood, blacks lived to the east of the track and whites to the west. However ironic it may be, I love my south--grits, the summer heat, and the way that y'all sort of rolls off your tongue like molasses. Sometimes, when I think that no one is watching, I still practice arching one eyebrow, but I have grown to love Prissy.

 

Butterfly McQueen (Prissy)

 
 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheria, I do believe I saw that arched eyebrow while we talked at Mama Dip's last February. I think you do it without even knowing you do it! I didn't see Gone with the Wind until I was well into college. I suppose it's because I didn't grow up in the south... (was born in CT)... my family moved to Georgia in 1968, I believe. From 68-75 I lived there, as a high school, then college, student. Married in 75 and moved to NC. I love the South! Pretty sure I'll die in the South, and pretty darn sure it will be in NC. I do enjoy the southern drawl, and I think I can sound southern if I want to. However, I have no doubt that the native southerners can tell where I am from no matter how I try to hide it, which I don't try. Still, so many Yankees have moved down here in the past twenty years, are living and working here, raising their kids here, that I no longer feel like an outsider. I can say this: the southerners have been very welcoming, friendly, and hospitable around here. Grits, pinto beans, chili dogs, and turnip greens were all new to me when I first came to the south. But I do enjoy a good table spread filled by the homecooking of Southern grandmothers. You know, when I was a kid and looked into the mirror, I was surprised to see I had reddish brown hair...it's like I suddenly became aware of myself. I was used to looking at black and white photographs, and so I believed my hair was black for the longest time. Skin color was another difference that I never noticed growing up, probably because of our military family life-style. I don't ever remember going to a segregated school. I missed that whole 60's civil discontent somehow, probably because I was living in Berlin, Germany at the time. As for Scarlett, who could ever look like her? I don't even know any white women could match that little waist and those fiery eyes. Bea


http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/

Anonymous said...

I always thought Prissy was the brightest star of that movie....a movie I've never particularly liked but watched because of her.  She was the strong, human element in that tale.  Just my opinion.

Russ

Anonymous said...

I have always loved the movie Gone With The Wind. It doesn't matter how many times I have seen it, when I see that it's going to be on the tellyyet again, I MUST tun in!  I just love it and the characters.  Prissy was always one of my favourites.  Without her the movie just would not be the same!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
PS  I can raise just one eyebrow, but oddly enough it is my left one...I cannot raise the right and I am right handed...wonder what that means???

Anonymous said...

what a great entry! I loved this movie as a kid also...it is one of my Mom's favorites!!
Have a good week!!
Maria

Anonymous said...

I loved that movie. I saw it many years ago when I was iin the 8th grade. Never thought I would like it but just loved it. Thanks for the entry.

Anonymous said...

Sheria,I LOVE Gone with the Wind!!!!!!! I too never knew exactly what he was suggesting LOL...but sesnsed it was SOMETHING wonderful :-)As for the wanting to be like Scarlett all I can say is "FIDDLE-DEE-DEE" You are who you are and we LOVE YA!!!!!!Hugs....Shauneen

Anonymous said...

PS
Always wanted a strong man to carry me up a flight of stairs like that!But alas...me too heavy and ....no stairs :-)))))

Anonymous said...

I was nearly Gone with the wind this morning......... Never eat chillie on a Sunday night! Gaz ;-)

Anonymous said...

My kindergarten friend Connie and I raced through GWTW in 7th grade. I loved it. Years later when it was showing on campus, I gathered a group who could care less to go see it. I was very affected by it,...importance of family,land, and survival. I think I will have to read it again. I read the sequel and was very disappointed, I did not try TWDG, but maybe I will. Annie

Anonymous said...

i have always loved 'gone with the wind'.  i read the book as a teenager, and loved it!  tho, i do think it took me a week to get through it.  lol  thanks for this wonderful lil tidbit about sheria. :)
gina

Anonymous said...

I loved this entry, it wasn't just about your fascination with Gone with the Wind, but finding yourself in the midst of it all. In the end I think what you found was truly a wonderous in itself. As for Marc, he's quite a guy and I call him a friend too. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Ah, I hear what you're saying.  But, no reason not to dream of being a lead character, also, eh?! :)  Yep, Prissy had her role, too.

Anonymous said...

You music fits nicely with this entry. I'm not sure I like the idea of Gone with the Wind 2.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

How interesting to read how a black girl may have responded on first reading "Gone With the Wind."  I always like to read your entries because of some of the subjects you talk about.  You should try to find Mary Austin's Diaries of the Civil War.  I think that is the most compelling book I have ever read about those times because it records true events of a woman's life and experiences during the war. There is considerable in it on slaves as the woman came from the class of whites who owned slaves.  I was terribly impressed.  Gerry  

Anonymous said...

During my late teens and early twenties I was a cross between Scarlett and Elizabeth Taylor in the "taming of the shrew' Falling on love with the right man, babies and time has mellowed me out...now I'm total zen with past, my present and hopes of my future.

I also wanted to be "bewitched" and in the end after being grounded one summer I learned how to twitch my nose! lol


k.
http://journals.aol.com/demandnlilchit/Ishavedmylegsforthis/

Anonymous said...

It's late and I'm tired, otherwise you'd get about two paragraphs of lines from GWTW, which I can recite practically scene by scene.  Okay, just one: "Who baptized your other brats after you killed my mother! Get off these steps you Yankee wench! This is all of Tara you'll ever see!"
I'm going to have to send you my unfinished prequel...