Monday, April 30, 2007

So little time!

In a conversation with my sister this weekend, she pointed out that I hadn't posted anything to my journal in more than two weeks. I explained that I had good intentions to do so but that I couldn't seem to find the time to follow through on my intentions.

I really like my new job but it is rather time intensive, especially in the past few weeks. North Carolina's state legislature has filed a record number of bills this legislative session, nearly 40% more than in previous sessions. My job is to read a significant number of those bills and write a digest entry that explains how the new bill affects current law and/or what the new bill does.  My written analysis is published in a subscription publication called The Daily Bulletin, distributed by the School of Government at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Bill drafters receive special training in how to write a piece of legislation that bears little or no resemblance to the English language. However, I'm not complaining. If they wrote in plain English, then I wouldn't have a job. Because the bills are written in legalese, the belief is that it takes a lawyer to translate the legalese into standard English.  They pay me well to do this and I have the satisfaction of feeling that I'm doing a public service. The subscribers to our publication include members of local and state government, including state legislators. I take a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that I help our elected officials understand the bills that they submit for passage into law. I think that there may be something ironic about my previous sentence.

I also attend committee meetings where a legislator presents a bill that he or she sponsors and other legislators pick the bill apart and make the bill sponsor cry. Okay, I'm exaggerating, no one has cried, so far. However, there is often intense discussion about the issues that arise in the bills that are presented. There was great concern expressed as to whether or not the Collard Festival held in Ayden, NC should be designated as the official state collard festival. After all, it's not the only collard festival in NC and other communities might feel slighted. There has also been concern as to whether or not the bullfrog should be named as our state frog. I'll keep you posted on that one.

As you can tell, I've been busy monitoring great affairs of state and have had to curtail my journal entries. I hope to return to J-Land full force as soon as the state legislature is done with passing laws.  I've tried to keep up with your journals and I apologize for not taking the time to leave comments.  I'm reading your wonderful words even when I don't comment.

Note: This piece is meant to be humorous. The NC state legislature has proposed some solid legislation this session that if passed will aid the economic growth of the state, improve the quality of education, and improve access to health care. Of course, there have also been bills about collard festivals and bull frogs.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.....  ive been wondering about you..... I thought your blog was just updated every once in awhile.... since you update at like 3 week intervals.. :P but wow on your job, congrats, it sounds very interesting and sounds like a very cool job Sheria... I just started a new job too.. :P and its been hard but sorta interesting... ugh but the only part that sucks about it is im on my feet the whole time im there exept for my 2- 15 min breaks and my 30 min lunch lol

Glad your back with us,
Take Care
Christopher

http://journals.aol.com/cmarlow330/ChristophersJournal/


Anonymous said...

I had missed you here but I know your job is important and time consuming at times. I'm kind of partial to frogs so I will be interested to know how that comes out. lol Paula

Anonymous said...

Wow, and all I do is make people spend money! When I think about it though, I wouldn't have a job, if they didnt!
Gaz ;-)

Anonymous said...

hmmm...i think the job sounds perfect for you...lawyer, english teacher....just perfect.  i've always admired how articulate and well spoken (written) you are....now....if only i could find a job i liked as much that paid well....  lol  what i'm doing right now pays well, but sheesh how i've come to hate it!
gina

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your articles. They seem as if I am communicating with a normal person who has targeted her speaking to me. There's a streak of pride rushing thru me in that you, a person with good common sense (grabbed that from reading you LOL), is actually reading and interpreting laws for the common person. I have read many laws and the majority sound as if they were designed for a foriegner. Fantastic, dear lady.

Spencer

Anonymous said...

SAVE THE BULLFROGS!!!  LOL  Concentrate on what you have to.  We'll all still be here when you have a few spare minutes.

hug,
Russ

Anonymous said...

I was beginning to wonder where you had got to!  Glad to know it is only work and life that has gotten in the way of all of this!  Always glad to read your words no matter how infrequent they may be!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I admire you dear one. I for the life of me wouldn't have the patience to shift through the legalese. I'm a true nature woman to heart a stuffy office, political bull and what have you would have me cringing in a corner in tears lol. I do hear the pride in your voice and the love you have for your job, in that event I'm happy for you. As others have stated you are well written and intelligent so I'm not surprised this is a job you would find favor in. I have missed you these past few weeks.

We will all be here when the time comes for you to be able to post more. Until then do what you need to do and remember your in our thoughts. Wishing you love and peace in the coming days. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE BACK!!! Yeay!! I missed ya, Sheria. But I knew it was work related.. what else would keep you away, right? I'm so glad that you wrote this entry to explain what you do... you know, while we were talking those 3 hours at Mama Dips, we did very little talking about your job... we talked more about mine and Caroline's. Seems like we all focused more on growing up experiences and family stories. You have a very interesting job, and it puts you on the frontline of legislation, doesn't it? Glad to hear from you, even if only to say you haven't had time to write. Bea

Anonymous said...

Hey Sheria,sooo good to have you back! Missed you! Todays entry was worth the wait! Found it very interesting to read what your job entails! Cool-except about the frogs????? :-) Don't feel bad about not writing, we in wait ANTICI......PA..TION! ;-) Hugs, Shauneen

Anonymous said...

There are always all sorts of things introduced:)  At one point, I used to have to read every draft bill introduced into (US) Congress.  I only had to summarize for my employers, however, and it didn't require lawyerese.  Yes, you are doing a public service:)  And, keeping well informed.  Good for you.  We all need a few bullfrogs and collards along with our civics and healthcare and such, eh?  -- Robin

Anonymous said...

That's neat that you are involved in legislation.  Not too many people will get involved.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I caught that irony too, very insightful.  You're doing a needed job, and kudos for being able to endure these types, having legalese as another language myself.  We're talking non compos mentos folk here about the bull frog, even if there's good reason - it still may not take well.  Don't worry about posting, it's your Journal and should never feel like a chore to get to, yes?
CATHY http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

It's always good to have a job one enjoys.  In the midst of my land-based maelstrom of the past fifteen months, I've written to Barack Obama twice and he responded both times.  He writes with such intelligence and thoughfulness, I'd be so pleased if he made it to the White House.
Deb  

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your cool comments on my blog. You seem really cool too and extremely sharp. I'd love to hang out with you one day. Who knows?