Sunday, April 1, 2007

Am I My Brother's Keeper?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketThe Internet allows us to maintain a degree of anonymity that ironically, makes us willing to reveal far more of ourselves than if we met at some social event or public outing.  In this journal, I talk about my insecurities, something I rarely do even with my closest friends and certainly not with people that are acquaintances.  I think it is the veil of anonymity that makes so many of us willing to share who we are and that leads to forming bonds with people that we've never met face to face, but whom we count as friends.  I feel fortunate that I've actually had the opportunity to meet two of those people in person, dear Bea and Caroline.  There are others of you that I have not met, but I feel a connection to you nonetheless.

I want to tell you about my friend River.  He is a member of J-Land and I don't know his name, other than River.  It suits him; he runs deep like a river. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket We've never met, but I count him as a friend.  I like visiting his journal because it is full of charity, of love for humankind. River has been absent from J-Land for the past few months and has recently returned.  I didn't want to pry, but I noticed that at the top of his journal there was a count: 79 days homeless.  That was three days ago. Perhaps because the Internet allows us to skip some of the amenities of societal interaction, I sent him an email and asked directly if he was homeless.  Like the gentleman that he is, he promptly responded and confirmed that he was indeed referring to his own homelessness.

Today I visited River's journal and he has chosen to share his story with us.  I admire his bravery in doing so; he is a private person and I am not certain that if were in his shoes that I would be so brave.  River lives in Las Vegas, and he has gained access and insight to the homeless in that city of excess in so many ways, except when it comes to providing for those who need assistance. I hope that you will visit River's journal frequently and follow his story.  He has much to tell us. 

Many of us celebrated Palm Sunday today and next Sunday is Easter. When I was a child, I thought of Easter as a time to get a new outfit. My mother was a very good seamstress and one Easter she made my sister and I matching navy blue capes with a white satin lining. We wore white dresses, little white hats, and white gloves.  I think that I was around eight and my sister was six. We loved the way the capes swirled out when we spun around. I'm not a child any more and I no longer believe that Easter is about wearing new clothes.  I thank River for sharing his story and reminding us what Easter is truly about. We are all our brothers' and sisters' keepers.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((Huge hugs)))) I went by to visit River's journal, and I have tears in my eyes. The courage of the human spirit is outstanding sometimes. In all that he may suffer, he worries about everyone else. His spirit and heart are as deep as your own! Thank you! (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

i stopped by river's journal and have added it to my alerts.  his will be an amazing story, and hopefully one that will open our eyes.  i know that so many of us (me included) get so caught up with our problems (sometimes very petty) that we totally lose perspective as to what is important and real and what really counts.  thanks for sharing his story.
gina

Anonymous said...

His story is more than amazing...it is a call to action. How can anyone read his journal and not think to himself, "What can I do to help people like him?" But for the grace of God, there go I. Thank you for the link. But now it is bedtime, and how can I sleep now? bea

Anonymous said...

I'll be visiting River's journal right after I leave here.  On Saturday at the market we saw a man that was sitting on the sidewalk wanting money.  He had sign that said "Sleeping Rough.  Not on Drugs or alchohol.  Homeless."  I put some money into his hat.  Todd said, he'll probably buy drugs or alcohol with that or walk around the corner and get into his mercedes at the end of the day.  I said...it's not about what he does with the money after he gets it...it's about how I feel after I have given it.  I will check out River's journal now.  There but for the Grace of God go I, I always say.
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I will visit his journal, It's amazing how we learn to ignore people in this situation, and never thinking that this could happen to anyone of us

yasmin

Anonymous said...

I met a homeless man in January this year.  He was re-charging his mobile for free in the cafe at the venue where I study how to write.  He was spotlessly clean, because he also came in to wash and shave there too. He told me he had found a really warm place to sleep outside and that he had applied for two live-in gardening jobs in the area.  In order to apply for work and get round not having an address to call his own and also be able to claim benefits he had to sell a magazine called 'The Big Issue'.  He was good natured and gregarious, sharing his reason of being homeless with me.  I wished him all the best as I got up to leave and then returned to give him the last £5.00 I had in my purse.  His story was full of hope and optimism.  I admire any person who will stand on a street all day selling magazines to sometimes indifferent people.  They could so easily just not bother and live  a harder life.  They are to be admired and helped as much as possible.  Yes...we are our brother's keeper.   Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and life here.  Yes we are our brothers and sisters keepers - the more people take on board this responsibility and may I had joy the better our world would be.

Anonymous said...

thank you for flagging a journal.  I have a lot of interest in homelessness naturally trying to understand Doc's ten years of homelessness I think he is still trying to recover from.  He went on an 'Odyssey' but it turned out to be so difficult he quit writing the book.  Maybe now he will get back to it.  I will go and visit River's journal now.  Thanks.  Gerry  

Anonymous said...

I visit yout journal as much to hear what music you've attached as to read your entries. Not so keen on it today. I'll be back though.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling me about River.  I am off to check out his journal.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina