Sunday, August 31, 2008

Senator McCain and the Politics of Misdirection

Sen. John McCain has run his entire campaign against Sen. Barack Obama based on the oft stated belief that Obama lacks the experience to lead this country. The McCain campaign has repeatedly discounted Obama's demonstrated knowledge of domestic and foreign policy and characterized the Harvard Law School graduate as a political neophyte.

Just three weeks ago on Face The Nation, Republican strategist Karl Rove opined that he expected the then presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama to choose a running mate based on political expediency, not the person's readiness for the job.

"I think he's going to make an intensely political choice, not a governing choice," Rove said. "He's going to view this through the prism of a candidate, not through the prism of president; that is to say, he's going to pick somebody that he thinks will on the margin help him in a state like Indiana or Missouri or Virginia. He's not going to be thinking big and broad about the responsibilities of president."

Rove then proceeded to single out Virginia governor Tim Kaine, who was also a guest on Face The Nation as an example of such a disastrous and ill-thought out selection for a vice presidential running mate, saying of and to Gov. Kaine (the man was sitting right there), "With all due respect again to Governor

Kaine, he's been a governor for three years, he's been able but undistinguished. I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done. He was mayor of the 105th largest city in America."

Funny, but I do believe that I could substitute Alaskan Gov. Sarah Palin for Kaine and not have to change another word in Rove's statement. Oops! I'm wrong, Palin was the mayor of Wasilla, population in 2007, according to the U.S. census--9,780. (The 105th largest city of which Kaine was once mayor is Richmond,VA., population of 200,123 in 2007, according to the U.S. census.) I'm not certain as to where Wasilla ranks in population among U.S. cities but somehow I think that it is substantially less than 105th.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that having experience as mayor of a tiny town and only 20 months as governor of a state not known for being densely populated means that one is not qualified for the office of vice president. Nor am I flat out stating that Palin's anti-choice, pro-NRA, positions don't exactly make her the poster woman for the women's movement. Nor am I questioning the wisdom of selecting a running mate with whom McCain's own camp confirms he had only met once before selecting her to be on his ticket; a running mate who could feasibly find herself in the position of having to actually step into the oval office, given the age and prior health issues that have beset Sen. McCain. I'm just fascinated with the difference in attitude that the Republican party has towards its own choices and the choices of the Democratic party.

That's what led me to ponder why McCain selected Gov. Palin as his running mate. While I was busy pondering, headlines in newspapers and talking heads on my television explained it to me in terms that even a four year old could understand. The basic message appears to be that in selecting Gov. Palin, the McCain campaign has strengthened its position with women voters. All of the Hillary Clinton supporters, who were only voting for Hillary because she was a woman, will tumble for John McCain, and give up the vote.

With apologies to village idiots everywhere, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, Senator John McCain, is a class-A idiot if he really thinks that people supported Hillary Clinton because she is a woman. They supported Senator Clinton because she is intelligent, capable, and has leadership qualities; the same reasons that Obama's supporters support him. What an insult to every person who supported Hillary to assume that they will fall over themselves to jump on the McCain bandwagon just because he has a female running mate.

I have no more patience with those who continue to assert that Obama supporters do so because he has a black father or that Hillary's followers supported her because she was a woman. Get over yourselves and stop clinging to the belief that the only possible explanation for Obama's or Hillary Clinton's successes in this presidential campaign is because all black people support Obama and white women (feminists to boot!) support Hillary Clinton. Guess what, old white men are not the only, nor the best choice for leading everything. It's a new world in the United States of America, and it's about damn time.

Other countries have been able to broaden their horizons to encompass leadership that isn't dependent on having a penis--India, Pakistan, Great Britain, and Israel are just a few modern governments that come to mind. As for race, it should be the shame of this country, founded on the proposition that, "all men are created equal," that it has only seen fit to allow white males to ascend to the leadership of the allegedly most powerful nation in the free world.

Palin is a woman, and I certainly don't disparage her for her gender, but neither am I going to do cartwheels over her selection. (Btw, I proudly identify myself as a feminist.)  I'm choosing to have faith in the ability of the majority of women to think rationally and I am refusing to succumb to any concern that the rest of my gender is going to fall down and worship at the altar of McCain simply because he has Palin at his side. 
 
If you must vote for McCain, let it be because you don't believe that addressing the needs of the 47 million uninsured Americans is a priority, let it be because you believe that the wealthiest one percent of the population are entitled to even more tax breaks, let it be because you support an energy strategy that involves off shore drilling as a solution to the energy crisis, or because you agree with his position of staying in Iraq indefinitely, but for heaven's sake, don't fall for his Houdini-style misdirection act of selecting a woman as a running mate.

One of my favorite actresses is Bette Davis. I love Kim Carnes 1980s hit, Bette Davis Eyes. I know that Bette would never fall for some obvious manipulative ploy.
 

Her hair is Harlow gold
Her lips sweet surprise
Her hands are never cold
She's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll turn the music on you
You won't have to think twice
She's pure as New York snow
She's got Bette Davis eyes

And she'll tease you
She'll unease you
All the better just to please you
She's precocious and she knows just what it takes to make a pro blush
She's got Greta Garbo stand-off sighs
She's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll let you take her home (it whets her appetite)
She'll lay you on the throne
She's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll take a tumble on you
Roll you like you were dice until you come up blue
She's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll expose you when she snows you off your feet with the crumbs she throws you
She's ferocious and she knows just what it takes to make a pro blush
All the boys think she's a spy
She's got Bette Davis eyes

And she'll tease you
She'll unease you
All the better just to please you
She's precocious and she knows just what it takes to make a pro blush
All the boys think she's a spy
She's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll tease you
She'll unease you
Just to please you
She's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll expose you
When she snows you
She knows you
She's got Bette Davis eyes


 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that song.  :)  Bette Davis, too.  What class!

I'm a middle aged white woman, not so much feminist as realistic about what a "woman's role" is and should be, going through her midlife crisis.  And all I can say is DUH!  McCain's VP choice was obvious even to a very politically unsavvy person like me.  It should be a very interesting campaign season from here on out.  I may even have to pay more attention this time.  :)
                                                         
                                                                                       :)  Leigh

p.s.  thanks for your comment.  It means so much to have the support and insights of readers like you!

Anonymous said...

I think the choice of Palin actually speaks to McCain's preoccupation with beautiful women. If he'd chosen a running mate for her gender alone, Kay Bailey Hutchison would have been a slam dunk.  McCain left his first wife because she gained weight after an accident, and can anyone imagine he would have married Cindy if she wasn't a Barbie Doll?  John McCain graduated 894 out of 899, he is even more of an overgrown Frat boy than Bush.  He chose Palin not because he thinks women will vote for her, but because he thinks men who would never admit to it will puller their lever for her in the privacy of the voting booth.

Anonymous said...

As soon as I can get over my disgust at this latest development, I will do my best to not channel you or "copy" you in any way...although I can't even begin to say it any better than you have done here.

Based on Palin's qualifications, I think that I might have a legitimate shot at the VP job. I own a gun and I know how to shoot it. In high school, I was president of the German Club, and I coordinated a field trip to Chicago, which included a lunch at The Berghof, as well as a visit to the Austrian Consulate, which shows that I have foreign affairs experience.

In my first job, I was in charge of the Orientation Committee, in which I coordinated the training of new employees and student interns.

Of course, there is a serious drawback here. I have never had a child of my own.

Does that mean that I'm out?

Dammit.

Beth
http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

Anonymous said...

I have to respond to Beth's comment. She inspired my post on Palin with an email that she sent me. I do hope that she will share her thoughts in a post soon. As always, they were on target and laugh out loud funny at the same time. Beth is the mistress of satire.

As for her candidacy for VP, I volunteer to be her campaign manager.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Alas, the choice was not a wise one.  But as far as a white male, I am kind of attached to my member :o)

Anonymous said...

Actually, Wasilla is the 105th largest city in Alaska.  Not really.  Well, maybe.

The pick was first a pander to the evangelical base since the rumors of Tom Ridge and Joe Lieberman (both pro-choice) were met with hysteria.  The plan for after the convention is to attack, attack, attack Obama on the abortion issue, and Palin is about as pro-life as they get.  Of course, the picture that they have painted of her is about to look very different.  Wait until Gustav goes away; it should be an interesting later part of the week.

I'm as open-minded as anyone else, but for the life of me I cannot understand how anyone who supported Sen. Clinton can now support Sen McCain.  They agree on nothing.  Makes no kind of sense.

We move closer to a President Obama with each passing minute.

Anonymous said...

I think for anyone to waste a vote other than to vote for a person because they agree with the  policies of the party they represent is a crime.  You should vote for someone only because you think they will be the best leader for the country, not because they are a woman, or black, or because they are a Christian or anything else.
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh how my heart lifts when I see your journal appear on my alerts...I think to myslef here is one great lady, one I can identify with and if I were an American I wold be suggesting to Obama another great first lady !!!!   Laughing aside I do so very much hope that the American public are not so blind as to really fall for John McCain's retoric.    (I hope you don't mind I usually paste etc your comments to my sister who also enjoys your outlook on life but dosn't want to be bogged down with journals you lifts her heart also)  Love  Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

True to form, you really nailed this one. What was he thinking? A nice looking woman would help his image? If he had to pick a woman I wish Condi would have accepted. She is at least knowledgeable in foreign affairs. We do not need to return to the fifties!  Dannelle

Anonymous said...

Forget Sarah, I am going to be realy blunt here, but John McCain is just a wrinkly old git, what does he know about women when he's married to a Stepford wife?

Gaz

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping that we don't have that many idiots who would vote for McCain just because he selected a woman as a running mate. It's a scary thought if votes are cast so shallowly and inconsiderately. bea